February 12th, 2008

Limbaugh: I'm McCain's 'most valuable asset'

Limbaugh has been highly critical of McCain, but on Tuesday the talk show host said he is actually doing the Arizona senator a favor.

(CNN) - He's aggressively targeted John McCain ever since the Arizona senator began his meteoric rise in the polls, but conservative talk-radio host Rush Limbaugh said Tuesday he may actually be the Arizona senator's "most valuable asset."

Commenting on the mainstream media's fixation with his feelings about McCain, Limbaugh said there may be more to his criticisms than meets the eye.

"If I really wanted to torpedo McCain, I would endorse him," Limbaugh said on his radio show. "Because that would send the independents and liberals who are going to vote for him running away faster than anything."

"What people don't realize is that I am doing McCain the biggest favor that can be done for him by staying out of this," he continued. "If I endorsed him thoroughly and with passion, that would end the independents and moderates, because they so despise me and they so hate me."

Limbaugh, along with several other prominent conservative radio hosts, have long spoken out against the Arizona senator over his stances on a range of issues and his history of working with Democrats on issues such as immigration and campaign finance reform.

Limbaugh's attacks in particular got so heated that former Republican presidential nominee Bob Dole wrote the talk-show host last week defending McCain - calling him a "mainstream conservative" who supported the party on critical votes during Dole's time as the Senate Republican leader."

Limbaugh later said of the letter that McCain was "manipulating" Dole.

Yet despite the fiery rhetoric, Limbaugh on Monday suggested members of the media weren't digging deep enough into his comments.

"Couldn't it be said, if somebody wanted to…that I am secretly supporting McCain, because I secretly do want him to win, but I know full well that if I come out and endorse him, he's cooked?" Limbaugh asked. "Who may be in this whole kit and caboodle, this who shebang, the most valuable asset McCain has?"

"Me."

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Rush Limbaugh
  1. mack

TheLeftNut – "I love reading all these W.A.C.K jobs (White American Conservative Know-it-alls) postings. I almost feel like a voyeur watching a big republican circle jerk."

So I take it you must be an African American? Quick note: The illegals invade this country and take most of the intercity jobs away from the African AMERICA while they directly compete with the African AMERICAN for jobs, housing, schools, civil services and much more. How does it feel to watch Obama pander to the Hispanic for the illegal alien votes? You notice Obama mentions nothing about the real issues, he just tells us we want change. Ya, multiculturalism! Enjoy the show puppet bagger.

You're not alone. McAmnesty did the same to the working American people. We were just smart enough to figure it out and call him out. But don't worry, soon the white man will be a minority, so enjoy all your freedom now because soon they will be none.

WACK JOB

February 13, 2008 12:56 am at 12:56 am |
  2. J Burton

Seems like a lot of you libs are quite familiar with Rush. Been listening to his program on the sly????

February 13, 2008 12:57 am at 12:57 am |
  3. JohnB

It was documented somewhere that Rush has the most educated audience of any radio show. It amazes me that his detractors still consider him an irrelevant drug addict.

The lefties can make up cute names and mis-characterize conservatives all they want, but in the arena of ideas and sincere debate, they fall flat on their faces.

Keep up the good work Rush.

February 13, 2008 01:02 am at 1:02 am |
  4. Greg

Rush, I actually think your denouncing McCain is the most sensible thing you've ever done...

February 13, 2008 01:21 am at 1:21 am |
  5. Spiffy

February 13, 2008 02:02 am at 2:02 am |
  6. Brian

The first 80 people on this reply list are all fools... they read the words and thought they understood the meaning of what Rush was saying. Typical liberals... and typical pseudo-intellectual garbage. Rush was making fun of McCain more than ever.

Personally I love his imitation of McCain... I always get a chuckle out of that. :)

February 13, 2008 02:08 am at 2:08 am |
  7. iwontvotemccain

NOBODY has more in-depth political insight than Rush. I think the funniest thing about you Rush haters is that he is laughing all the way to the bank making 40 million dollars a year.

February 13, 2008 02:57 am at 2:57 am |
  8. THINK people

This "useless war" has, at least, prevented an attack on US soil for seven years. Do you really think terrorists have stopped trying to attack the US? If not, do you really believe the war hasn't slowed their plans? Also, please explain the correlation in combating our sworn enemies and destroying innocent life to avoid an inconvenience.

February 13, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  9. horace

GO RUSH!!!

February 13, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  10. Jonathan

McCain didn't survive 4 years of anything less than selling out his fellow POWs. Rush is on the mark and hate him or not...he's right on this one.

February 13, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  11. Todd

He is entertaining.. despise or love him, your entertained.
    I'd still like to see Huckabee take this to the convention and win it there as none of the Republican candidates represent the party and his winning would prove it.
    As far as the Democrats, it is clear that Obama will be the nominee and I'd like to know where he stands on supporting Israel.

February 13, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  12. JOHN

Wow, I guess based on the amount of heated responses to this article, Rush really is insignificant.........NOT. Based on the feedback I would have to say he just might be the most feared man in liberal land. Keep espousing hate and negativity liberals and put us back in the White House again.

February 13, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  13. John R.

Liberals are amazing animals. The only thing I've read time and time again from you people is bashing of Rush, not defeating his argument. From drug addict comments, by all means one could even call Obama a drug addict since BOTH have used drugs, to comments about his ego (if you listened to his show you would understand it's part of his act). If you actually evaluate his statement and aren't ignorant of the political system, there is truth to it. McCain is the Nominee precisely because Independants and other left leaning individuals can vote in the Republican Primary without being Republicans. Actual Republicans voted for Romney.

February 13, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  14. Mike McBain

Ha! I'm not a big Rush fan... but the guy sure knows how to fire you liberals up!! Ha! Here is a fact for all you brain dead democrats... either way you win. You might not like McCain's stance on all issues, but he certainly leans left. Now if my man Romney won (like he would of if it were a two man race) – you cowardly fact dodging fools would really have something to worry about. Ha! * I bet CNN doesn't even post this because my comments aren't what you LIBs want to hear – truth hurts.

February 13, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  15. conservative Tom

This is a lot of time spent by people that don't Rush L. Wow, over 400 posts. Must not be thinking much my little liberal friends. Come to the good side.

February 13, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  16. ed rose

rush limbaugh wants war,war and more war.

tell you what: Why don't we send him along with Bill Kristol, Wolfowitz and the rest of the gang to the front lines in Iraq?

and once they're gone, lets send Bill O'Reilly, Bush, Chaney and all those loudmouths who are looking for others to die while they preach war at home.

and make big bucks doing so.

February 13, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  17. Jimmy Stevens

It's amazing how many people are unfamiliar with sarcasm... something Rush does well.

February 13, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  18. Dan

Rush is awesome. You left-wing types can't win an argument based on facts, so you resort to name-calling. Typical and pathetic.

February 13, 2008 11:56 am at 11:56 am |
  19. Henry

It amazes me that anyone would give this drug addicted fool anymore thought than he deserves which is none. Only in America could a smuck like Rush even get any airtime.

February 13, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  20. Tommy

What an amazing!
    That is how he is the best of the best of the news media in the world in a visible way. Mr. Limbaugh has been beaten all media combined. Even CNN has to recognize that he is very very important people in the new media. One golden microphone, no writer, no cable, no network, and not even a huge people worked for him in daily work. Don't believe it then check all networks, cables, newspapers around the country you 'll see he is the most effective, productive, hornest, kindest, well-informed, humble at which these organization have not had for a long long time.

February 13, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  21. Bob (real name)

"This comment section makes no use of ip checking rather lame. I just posted as Sam now Spiffy, so one liberal idiot could post 1000 messages here with different names right in a row." (by Spiffy)
    ...
    It's just like how the liberals tend to vote more than once and under the names of illegals and dead people. It's how they support their illusion of popularity. And they call themselves, "Progressives". What a joke. A more accurate term would be "Regressives" because they want to send this country into a socialist regime much like the old Soviet Union and Nazi Germany.
    Rush is right. That's just a fact despite anyone's "opinion". The sooner everyone realizes that, the sooner the USA can begin to really flourish.

February 13, 2008 11:58 am at 11:58 am |
  22. Roger Clemens

Wow, these comments prove that Rush is on to something.

February 13, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  23. Doug, New Jersey

As can be seen in this thread and all over the net it is true that the liberal Democrat is defined mostly by hate and is the most intolerant and closed-minded that America has to offer.

The lib does not care about issues or facts, it is true that if Limbaugh endorses McCain then they will be programmed to hate McCain as websites like Moore-on.org truly control their mouth, heart, and well as simple minded as it may be, their brain also.

I don't like Limbaugh, he seems to be intolerant as well. However, no where close to the average liberal Democrat. Conservatives like Rush disagree with liberals, but liberals truly hate and despise conservatives and really anyone who dares not to march to their hate-filled and fact ignorant ideology.

I may be pro choice, pro gay marriage, and pro stem cell research, but the biggest issue is how we treat our fellow Americans and how we embrace true tolerance and every American being able to think for themselves and speak their minds. Because of this I will vote against each and every liberal Democrat till the day I die. I can disagree with a conservative and they will still respect me and wish the best for me, the liberal Democrat will hate me and wish me harm. This is the real difference between the two, not everyone of course but the majorities of each ideology are this way. Don't take my word for it, read the internet and all the blogs yourself, debate a liberal and a conservative by disagreeing with them and challenging thier views. If you can accept reality then you will see the truth that I summed up for you in this post. The it just comes down to what is in your heart and the values, respect and morals you were taught.

February 13, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  24. Bootsla

When are you all going to learn that CNN and their ilk publish largely out of context? You have to listen to Rush to find out what he's really like. But you won't, you'll let the drive-by media do your thinking for you. You're not interested in the other side of the story because it doesn't fit your agenda.

To: LISTEN!!! Are you saying that abortion is murder?

February 13, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  25. Travis

I followed this link from Drudge Report, so I'm not really surprised by the ignorant things I've found here. I'm sure Rush is deeply offended by the many poorly-written remarks offered here by people who admit they've never listened to a word he's said. The political left is obviously still the bastion of open-mindedness and tolerance. On the other hand, it's good comedy to see so many people using so many spelling errors to attack one of the greatest thinkers of our time.

February 13, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |