February 12th, 2008

Obama: Virginia governor on my 'short list'

Kaine endorsed Obama early last year.
Kaine endorsed Obama early last year.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine has hitched his wagon to Barack Obama's star, and if Obama pulls out a win today in the Virginia primary it could pay dividends for Kaine's political future.

Kaine was one of the first politicians outside of Illinois to endorse Obama last year and his name has been floated repeatedly as a potential running mate for Obama were he to win the Democratic nomination.

On Monday, Obama was asked by a Virginia radio host if Kaine would be on his "short list" (he didn't say for what).

"He will certainly be somebody who is on my short list to have a role in my administration," Obama said.

Kaine, elected governor in 2005, is considered an up-and-comer by some national Democrats because of his success in the traditionally red state and his willingness to speak openly about his faith (he is a Catholic). After his election, Kaine was invited by the national party to give the Democratic rebuttal to President Bush's State of the Union address in 2006.

Obama told WRVA radio that Kaine "is as fine a public servant as we have in this country."

The 50-year old governor gave Obama a rousing introduction at last weekend's Jefferson-Jackson dinner in Richmond, an annual fundraiser for Virginia Democrats where the Illinois senator was warmly received.

Kaine was asked several times by reporters on Saturday about being on the ticket with Obama, and he seemed to welcome the attention.

"People get mentioned in lists, but I'm one of the Obama co-chairs nationally and I'll be advising him," Kaine said. "I've got some different ideas for him. I think I can be very helpful to Sen. Obama."

– CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Tim Kaine
  1. HH

Amy, Kazoo: He was trying to say politely; no way in hell would he pick Hillary on the ticket.

Lee: From people like me, I have donated $750(counting) so far.

February 12, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  2. Shirley

Hey Lee, Mr. Obama has and always have summited his tax returns. He has been upfront from day one. He's not hidding anything. He gets his funds from the little people like you and me.

February 12, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  3. Chester

Obama's list should already be full considering all the old school politicians and sleazy businessmen he has had to cozy up to during his run for the White House. He will probably appoint Rezko as his financial advisor, when he is released from prison of course, or maybe after he pardons him. Maybe Ted Kennedy as a running mate. Yes, the candidate of change is beholden to many mainstream entrenched politicians. They could all wind up on his list. So much for a change in Washington, change your slogan Obama, "yes we can" doesn't cut the mustard. Maybe you think you can, but you owe too many so much that "no you can't".

February 12, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  4. Lily

Lee Obama's money comes from small donors like me who give him 14 dollars here and 50 dollars there, which is going to be about 500,000 of us before the primaries are over. I have not gone to Starbucks for over two months so that I can give my weekly coffee money to his campaign. It is not a lot of money but imagine there is hundreds of thousands of people like me sending whatever they can afford because we believe that he can bring about much needed CHANGE.

February 12, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  5. Mason

Lee: He has disclosed his Income taxes. Use the Google.

Furthermore, it seems you're conflating campaing fund raising and personal income. Don't do that. They are completely seperate. Campaign money is raised and disclosed in accordance with FEC regulation. The candidates file reports at the end of every month. The identity of donors who give over $200 is, by law, public information. Donors who give under that threshold may disclose their identiy. Obama has a sligtly lower level of disclosure of donors because he has a signifigantly higher level of donors below the mandatory disclosure threshold. Other than that it's all open secrets, really. Someone should get themselves a server and throw all of that info up on a website.

Oh. Wait. Someone already has...

February 12, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  6. CJ in VA

Lee – go to Barack's website, click on 'blog' , pick any article and go to the comments sections and click on that. You will see the thousands of everyday people there stating every single day the amounts they are donating. This is a huge movement man, get with program and do your homework. Then go to Clinton's website, do the same, and you will see with your own little eyes what we are all talking about.

Obama 08

And please don't put me in moderation AGAIN

February 12, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  7. Marc, WSU

Will: He wants to see who is contributing to the Campaign, not his Income Tax as that has been well known for a long time. When one doesn't have millions earned they tend to be willing to show their earnings. That's human nature.

Clinton disclosed she will reveal her portfolio and Income Tax if she's the nominee.

The bulk of Clinton's money comes from her $8 Million dollar signing bonus on her book deal.

Her husband's book earned a $12 Million dollar signing bonus.

February 12, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  8. D for O

Lee,

Sorry that you refuse to believe his fundraising is as successful as it claims. Will points out where to go for his tax returns, but some help with his already released January fundraising numbers:

Claims of $32,000,000 raised in January
    Claims of 170,000 new donors in January (this is just the new donors, not the total donors that contributed in January)

32,000,000 divided by 170,000 gives an average donation of about $188 per donor. I know that I am not one of the 170,000 new donors having given before, and I gave $100. The numbers are very plausible.

February 12, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  9. CJ in VA

And while there Lee – educate yourself and then come back.

February 12, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  10. Joseph Riedel

Obama actually has released his tax returns, which is why he is calling on Sen. Clinton to do the same.

February 12, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  11. HFan

Will....cool it Mr know-it all...or better yet....move on to another board

February 12, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  12. California Independent

Lee, ignore Will....

Seriously Will......

I like how you enjoy watching Obama channel Bush on yet another topic. (The law isn't the law unless I say it's the law.) Clinton is following federal law. Just because Obama mandates action of another person, doesn't mean it's going to happen. I can imagine Obama sitting in the White House telling Republicans to release their tax returns. They would look momentarily confused and then laugh hysterically. Obama's spinning because he has no substance.

One more thing, Will. I didn't have to undertake any sort of high tech investigation to find this publicly available information. A simple Google search for "Obama's largest donors" will lead to the watch group lists and see where he got $4 million of his donations. Exelon seems to be a favorite to snipe about but it is not his largest special interest donator. $421,000 Goldman Sachs,,,

Why bother.....

Lee, try opensecrets.org. It's got a good list.

February 12, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  13. TM

His donations are coming from plenty of folks like me – donation paycheck by paycheck. What is so hard to believe about that? We also donate to a couple of state and local candidates – seems reasonable enough to me.

February 12, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  14. jm24

Lee – the reason she is not coughing up the returns are the very reasons you stated – those certain 'organizations', like Bill's Saudi Arabian friend that just gave him millions after his endorsement of oil relations between the US and Saudi Arabia. Jeezzz........but you know it's ok because you are a minority now in your thinking and the train will be leaving the station without you.

February 12, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  15. Still trying to be heard.....

I will try again............

Timing..............hummmmmmmmmmm.....seems contrived and disingenuous!

February 12, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  16. Ratgurl

"Lee February 12, 2008 11:14 am ET

I want to know where Obama is getting all his campaign money. He is not wealthy and refuse to believe that his fundraising has been so successful.
    He suggested that Hillary Clinton cough up her tax returns. I suggest Obama do the same—unless he doesn't want the public to know that certain organizations are behind his campaign financing."

I've got news for you, Lee: Obama has made his tax returns and his campaign fundraising information available for all to see. And I am one of HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of people who has contributed a small amount of my measly paycheck to help finance his campaign. Why? Because he's promised transparency in government, and I – for one – want to know how my tax dollars are being spent, and how the senators & representatives that speak & vote on my behalf are conducting business. Apparently, I'm not the only one who feels this way, since Obama has such an immense following!

February 12, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  17. Disappointed..........

I feel that the voters who look to Senator Obama for change are totally mislead....down the yellow brick road. He is a very good politician. I will give you an example: his healthcare proposal is with no change from what we have right now. We have millions with no insurance and we will continue to have millions with no insurance.

Too bad the voters bought the hook, line, and sinker............Senator Obama does not represent change! He represents the same ol – same ol stuff with a different spin. It is how he got some of the Kennedys and Kerry.

Wake up America – Senator Obama sings a good line but he cannot deliver! We need someone with experience and best prepared for the White House! Not a pipe dreamer!

February 12, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  18. Tim

There are some scary people on here, such as "Lee" and "Jessica, Rolling Meadows, IL." These are the people voting for Clinton and these are the people that are uninformed and have been hoodwinked by the ambition and megalomania of the Clinton political machine. It's good to know that people are smarting up, however...

Obama 08'.

February 12, 2008 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  19. Lyne G

Talking about Sen. Obama – Yeah! supported by for example one of the largest workers' union in the US or yet by Robert Malley as a top advisor (if you don't know who he is perhaps go check on his background and "genealogy"...) Better think about it before casting the final vote...Hasn't anyone listened to his speech on Saturday in Richmond?

February 12, 2008 07:54 pm at 7:54 pm |