February 12th, 2008

Strong early turnout as 'Potomac Primaries' begin

Marilyn Hart casts her ballot in the primary election at the Ray of Hope Baptist Church, Tuesday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Business was brisk at polling places in Virginia and Maryland Tuesday where primaries could answer key questions in the Democratic and Republican nomination races.

The District of Columbia voters are also participating in the so-called "Potomac primaries" - named for the river that separates Virginia and Maryland and flows past the nation's capital, Washington.

At stake in the primaries are 238 Democratic delegates and 119 total GOP delegates. Polls in Maryland and the District of Columbia close at 8 p.m. and in Virginia at 7 p.m.

In Maryland, turnout was anticipated to be about 40 percent, which is above normal according to Ross Goldstein, deputy administrator for the state's Board of Elections.

Full story

Filed under: Maryland • Virginia
  1. Mirta

I have to laugh when I read comments such as " I am sooooo excited!! This is my first primary and election! Whee!" This is who is voting for Obama. Kiddies, do some homework and look into who is most qualified to lead this nation, not who can sing a Jay Z tune.

God help us all.

Hillary '08

February 12, 2008 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  2. RJB2

Mike...Sorry I do not agree

You stated yourself that you did not vote for him
    And everyone in these states are not black
    Many friends of mine are Black and are not voting for Obama

If he took 100% of the Black vote it still would not be enough
    Others are and will vote for him
    People are starting to see who Hillary really is...and it is not good

I can't wait to see how Hillary spins this

February 12, 2008 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  3. Mary

DUMP OBAMA IN MARCH – It's up to you Texas, Ohio and Pennyslvania. We don't need a salesman as the nominee, someone who has to exploit Clinton's political history to define his own. He has no core.

February 12, 2008 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  4. Andrea Texas

The only thing Mr Obama will change is his clothes.

Go Senator Clinton we are with you all the way!

February 12, 2008 07:57 pm at 7:57 pm |
  5. JOhn

Va. has already voted republican. Lets pray that Marylanders have brains

Vote for HILLARY WHO CARES ABOUT AMERICA .

February 12, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  6. RRH

Hillary Clinton may have bragging rights to New Mexico if they ever finish counting. It has been one week today and there still no results. Perhaps they should hire more people to count as it has been 99% for a week.

February 12, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  7. PATTY

I WISH PEOPLE WOULD GET PAST "IT'S A RACE ISSUE" OR "SHE'S A WOMAN"....PEOPLE, CLOSE YOUR EYES AND JUST LISTEN TO THESE CANDIDATES TALK...FORGET HE'S BLACK OR THAT SHE'S A WOMAN....LISTEN TO WHAT THEY HAVE TO SAY.....THE FIRST TIME IN MY VOTING YEARS I'M FINALLY HEARING SOMEONE THAT MOTIVATES ME TO BE INTERESTED IN THIS RACE AND TO WANT TO SEE A REAL CHANGE IN POLITICS, IN THE GOVERNMENT AS WE KNOW IT TODAY....I WILL TAKE A LITTLE EXPERIENCE OVER 35 YRS OF THE SAME OL' RHETORIC....OBAMA IS THE ONE TO PULL IT ALL TOGETHER....THE ONLY THING THAT HILLARY WILL CHANGE IS THAT SHE WILL WEAR THE CROWN AS BEING THE FIRST FEMALE PRESIDENT...THAT'S WHERE THE CHANGE WILL STOP....I HAVE A LOT MORE CONFIDENCE IN OBAMA......I AM IN AWE AS TO WHAT HE HAS MANAGED TO DO, BRINGING POEPLE OF ALL WALKS OF LIFE TOGETHER IN SO LITTLE TIME....I HAVE FAITH IN HIM THAT HE WILL GO FORTH AND DO GREAT THINGS...

February 12, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  8. RRH

Mike,
    I do agree with you. I think the people already know Obama contrary to what he claims. Hillary is the unknown. Sure there is name recognition, but, there is a terrible bias of those who have prejudged. I think when it comes down to "where's the beef", Hillary will prevail.

February 12, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  9. Hillary for President

TEXAS AND OHIO, your votes for Hillary will speak LOUD AND CLEAR!

We as Hillary supporters are counting on you!!!!!

PENNSYLVANIA-You will be as loud as Thunder!!!

BRING HER HOME!