February 12th, 2008

White House rocks to the Temptations

Bush welcomed members of The Temptations to the White House Tuesday.
Bush welcomed members of The Temptations to the White House Tuesday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – It was a touch of American Idol in the East Room of the White House on Tuesday when President Bush hosted the singing group the Temptations as part of the celebration of African American history month.

Singing some of their best known songs including “Just My Imagination” and “Ain’t Too Proud to Beg”, the Temptations brought the crowd to their feet with the song “My Girl.”

The audience, which included civil rights leader Rep. John Lewis, former Secretary of Transportation William Coleman, who was part of the legal team behind the landmark case Brown v. Board of Education, and Ernest Green, one of the nine students of the “Little Rock Nine,” sang along to the famous lines of “My Girl,” and even caused some normally subdued White House staffers to tap and move along to the music. Even President Bush was moved to move along to the music.

The Temptations, who had 37 top 40 hits, came to the White House where original group member Otis Williams was one of those honored by President Bush.

– CNN White House Producer Xuan Thai

Filed under: President Bush
  1. bills

Limbaugh should be run off the air he is a sick sick man.If you do not think so just spend about i min thats all it will take

February 12, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  2. marky

there is a war going on.

February 12, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  3. Brian Ford

Just the start of what is to come I guess

February 12, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  4. blkjazz

I wonder if they sang "I Wish It Would Rain" for the Prez?

February 12, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  5. Sean, Macon, GA

Yes, Mr. Bush, you can try to clean up your act with the smooth tones of the Temptations, but the bottom line is you did nothing for African-Americans and Americans period. You can help all Americans by stopping your stupid war.

I'm not buying it. He's still working on his legacy. Unfortunately he will still be the worst president in modern history.

I can't wait for this administration to be over, over, over.

February 12, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  6. robert

They should have sang their great song, "Ball of Confusion".

"Ball of confusion...That's what the world is today"!

February 12, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  7. John

Wait, Kanye, I thought Bush hated black people. Sorry, bad joke.

February 12, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  8. PLM

I wonder if they would offer "Ain't Too Proud to Beg" to Hillary for her new campaign theme song..... ;-)

February 12, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  9. Laurinda

Well why would the Temps want to be with Bush? Otis Williams is the only original member. The Temps had so many different members, but I bet the original members ( they are now in Heaven) would not have gone.

February 12, 2008 07:33 pm at 7:33 pm |
  10. JOhn

About time they have somebody smart in the white house.

February 12, 2008 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  11. Patriot

Aw, you're all just jealous cuz you weren't invited. Get over it.

February 12, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |