February 13th, 2008

Clinton: ‘This is a long and winding road’

Clinton is looking to Texas to deliver a win.
Clinton is looking to Texas to deliver a win.

MCALLEN, Texas (CNN) - Hillary Clinton on Wednesday denied her campaign is in trouble after three more bruising losses, telling reporters that this phase of the campaign is "exciting" and that "everyone knew" Barack Obama was favored in the Virginia, Maryland and Washington, D.C. primaries.

"My husband lost Maryland when he was running in the primaries," she said. "So we go on." Bill Clinton did win Virginia and the District of Columbia during the 1992 primary season.

A Clinton campaign memo sent to reporters Wednesday included lists of the states lost by three past Democratic presidential nominees - Bill Clinton, Jimmy Carter and Walter Mondale – as evidence a string of losses often proves meaningless in deciding the party’s nomination.

"This is a long and winding road," Clinton said, "and we're all picking up delegates as we go. The key is to end up with 2,025 delegates. 2,025. That's our objective and I feel good about what we're going to be doing in the states."

The New York senator pointed to the March 4 contests here in Texas and in Ohio - as well as upcoming votes in Wisconsin, Rhode Island and Pennsylvania - as places where she would be competitive against Obama.

For several weeks, her campaign has been trying to focus attention on the states that vote that day, largely dismissing the results of February’s contests.

"I want to congratulate senator Obama on his recent victories and tell him to meet me in Texas. We're ready," said Clinton.

On an afternoon conference call, Clinton staffer Guy Cecil also highlighted March 4, telling reporters that the campaign would be within 25 delegates of Obama after that date.

The current CNN count has Obama leading Clinton 1,253 to 1,211, a difference of 42 delegates.

Cecil said the campaign would now be hiring staffers and opening field offices in several states with upcoming contests they had not devoted resources to before, including Montana and Wyoming – and admitted that they regretted the fact that they largely left the field to Obama in similar contests to date.

In the wake of several top-level staff departures, Hillary Clinton rejected reports of internal bickering among campaign staffers.

"That's not what's going on," she said Wednesday, pointing to recent success in Internet fundraising. "We have a tremendous amount of energy and focus."

– CNN's Peter Hamby and Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. Greg, NY

"Everyone knew" that you were favored in all of these states you are now losing only a few weeks ago, maybe a few months.

And as for Bill losing these same states, he isn't running this time, you are. Start proving it.

February 13, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  2. kb

LOL – interesting how this one has been ignored by the "change and hope" people. Did I see a statement of congratulations here yet below I see an ad (oooops I mean article) criticizing Clinton for not offering congratulations?

The media should not influence these matters period – I call for a blackout on media coverage of elections until AFTER the vote. Hello "change" people, can your man pull that one out of the hat?

February 13, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  3. Audrey

Yay!!! Hillary, go!!! I'm supporting you 100%. You are my champion.

February 13, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  4. Michael Blackburn

Hillary's new campaign slogan:
    "He voted Present, But I Wasn't!"

Obama voted yesterday against immunity for telecoms who broke the law by allowing the Bush administration to "sneak and peek" at our phone records. The FISA statutes ALLOW him to do this and get a retroactive warrant, but Bush wants to prove he's above the law.

And the Defeatocrats went along with it, except Obama, Dodd and a few others willing to stand for the Rule of LAW.

Hillary Clinton ducked the vote, and left DC that morning on a campaign plane to Texas.

Hillary Clinton: "He Voted Present, But I Wasn't"

February 13, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  5. Go! Hillary!

I am a republican and I will vote for you, Hillary. If your party does not put you on the ballot, I will vote for Mccain, I am afraid. The future of the country is at the critical point. I trust you the most.

February 13, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  6. RGV for Hillary

I saw Hillary in McAllen, TX today and she did an awesome job. She has the solutions for America. We Texans can she past Obama's rhetoric, he has no chance in Texas.

If you want solutions, vote for Hillary!

February 13, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  7. Obama Supporter

If she can't be honest now, why should we trust her in the White House.

February 13, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  8. I hate CNN

Hillary, I am with you a 100%. Just donated again to your campaign. Solutions not Rhetoric. Let's get it done and Let's win Pennsylvania big. Do not leave even 1 state unturned to Obama. I am tired of the car salesman pitch and I am also tired of the Obamamaniacs on this site as well as the biased reporting against you.

It's going to be a wonderful March!

February 13, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  9. MI Independent

Obama is all talk and people are so desperate after the Bush years that they will believe anything positive someone SAYS. How about looking at what Obama has DONE – minimal when compared with Hillary.
    The media will not vet this guy, but the republicans will. I did my homework and what I see scares me. NO TRACK RECORD. He uses the same exact rhetoric that Bush used during his first run at the white house "I'll be a uniter, not a divider". Remember, talk is cheap, it's what you do. Obama is an inspirational speaker, not a leader BASED ON HIS MINIMAL RECORD.
    I will not vote for Obama under any circumstances and I think the democrats will not win in November if this guy is carrying the banner.
    I always was amazed at how Americans could vote Bush into office not once, but TWICE. Watching people fall for Obama's empty promises reminds me how gullible Americans are for pretty words. Obama is just a liberal version of Bush. We will never learn.

February 13, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  10. T-Ruff

HIllary needs to give Obama credit when it is due. As a party the Democrats have the momentum going into the general election and alot of that is due to Barack Obama. These types of comments and tactics leads to the disliking of her personality. Hillary would it hurt that much to say Congrats Barack, and move on. Instead of trying to continually minimize his victories.

February 13, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  11. Julia

"My husband did this ...", "My husband did that ..."

Don't you think the should be more focused on what SHE is doing ? After all is she running or Bill Clinton ... oh right, that's why America calls her 'Billary'.

Well Billary, you sit in a hole – keep digging!

February 13, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  12. Eric

Obama is a farve/packers fan, while Hilary is a Giants fan. Why would anybody in Wisconsin vote for Hilary. She was yelling for Cheeseheads to shut it after GB lost to the Giants..

February 13, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  13. Chris

I once supported Hillary Clinton; however she has show with her recent defeats that she is a sore loser and cannot even respectfully congratulate a member of her own political party for their success. Its my belief that Hillary thought she could just waltz into the Democratic nomination and they really had no plan for the success of Obama. Clinton probably figured he would case a buzz in the early stages of the primary season but taper off. I think this campaign is really grasping at straws and now have to rely on negative attacks to push their campaign forward. I think that Hillary is too arrogant and would lead a presidency that is very similar to the current administration’s blatant disregard for any opposing sides view. This would cause at least another four years of divisiveness in the government except the republicans and democrats would be switching roles. If Clinton wins the presidency it would all but ensure a backlash against democrats that would set us up for another republican controlled congress and nothing would get done as Clinton and Congress would just be going back and fourth with each other.

At this point I would vote for Obama if he were to win the democratic nomination. If Clinton wins the nomination I would vote for McCain. McCain and Obama have shown how they can unite and not just be sheep for their political parties. They realize that there has to be cooperation between the two ruling parties of our country. The “My way or the Highway” attitude that the Bush administration has would only continue under Clinton. All she would do is try to undo nearly everything Bush did (good or bad). Clinton’s actions in this campaign disturb me. I can only imagine the level of negativity that would result from a Clinton national campaign. At the end of it all our attitude towards our president would be quite similar to the way it is now with Bush. Do we really want to deal with such a divisive and negative person? Between McCain and Clinton I vote for the lesser of two evils so McCain would get my vote. Between McCain and Obama I choose Obama for what he stands for. A lot of comments on this site prove that there are still a large portion of people who are afraid of change and are scared to put new blood into the White House. I challenge those that simply dismiss Obama as simply a good speaker with little substance to do your research, don’t listen to the media and pundits. Don’t blindly follow the Conservative or Liberal labels that you love to place on yourself. OPEN YOUR EYES, OPEN YOUR MINDS! Choose the candidate that will be willing to work with all party members to achieve results and better our country. McCain or Obama will help lead this country to greatness. We do not need Hillary Clinton to bring us down.

February 13, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  14. T-Ruff

BaRock the Vote

February 13, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  15. Mark Cross Junction VA

Maybe she should have called it the "Yellow Brick Road" a fantasy that will never happen for her. I think slick willy will re-emerge real quick with his negative remarks. Bye Hillary down the crapper.

February 13, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  16. Zein Froma earth

Lol @ " meet me in Texas"
    You know one thing this Woman is not serious.
    She Fired a Latino/hispanic Woman and she goes and chants among latinos ? She Is really nuts .
    She is screaming "texas and ohio are a MUST' for her .
    Just like obama says " I never win TILL I WIN "

Clinton Brake Girl.

February 13, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  17. Ron, TX

Hillary, Obama will meet you in Texas, after he's done winning 10 states in a row. Are you still running for president of the United States of America? Or are you just running to be president of some states? "Giving up" on certain states doesn't exactly speak well to your ability to unite and get things accomplished.

February 13, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  18. ed fl

Here is an unknown who has come up to washington in the past three years and nobody[in particular the media] has not put out any information on his background. The total background not his saying he smoked pot and tried drugs. hHow did he get to become a senator, where did he get his money from. Does he have a background of trouble, been in jail, any criminal record, finacial trouble, you guy can find out anything you want or need. I can and will vote for him as the candidate but I sure would like for me and america to know a lot more about him as he gets closer to the nomination.

February 13, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  19. Chris, Washington, D.C.

Anyone else really really tired of hearing her list the states that her husband lost to justify every little set-back? Despite what most of your supporters seem to be secretly wishing, Hillary, he's not running, you are.

February 13, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  20. Liz

Spoken like a true CEO...

February 13, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  21. ticker fan

After coming in third place in Iowa, the Clinton campaign bragged that it was a "national campaign" and that one loss in Iowa didn't matter.

Now she is writing off at least a dozen states- saying they are too Republican, have too many black people, or too many "activists" (whatever that means).

She also made a bizarre statement two days ago saying she won New York and California and that "those are states a Democrat needs to win the White House." Who really thinks that Obama couldn't win New York and California if he was the nominee?

February 13, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  22. nashville news

why is it that every single time obama wins something, hillary says he was always expected to win??? get real, hillary.

February 13, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  23. Mel

I am a positive thinker.

I love HILLARY CLINTON. Since She put a negative ad, now I LOVE BARACK O'OBAMA.

Good Bye Clinton and Hello OBAMA!!!

February 13, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  24. z,new york, ny

She finally congratulates him.

I'll give her points for that. But otherwise, the more she opens her mouth, the more i hear her yelling at a rally, the less i would vote for her in a general election.

February 13, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  25. nashville news

obama 2008! they can't stop the movement!!!

February 13, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |