February 13th, 2008

McCain's Marine son returns from Iraq

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Republican presidential candidate John McCain, who almost always refuses to speak on the campaign trail about his son serving in the military, got a rousing reception Wednesday when he told a private gathering of House Republican congressman that his son Jimmy - whose Marine unit had been deployed to Iraq - had arrived home from safely.

–CNN's Dana Bash and Deirdre Walsh

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Glenn

This man puts his money where his mouth is. I'm glad to hear his boy is safe.

February 13, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  2. Gene from Indiana

Barack Obama said, that while John McCain is an American hero, he is not a good economist. He then quoted John McCain admitting to the fact that he didn’t understand economics all that well. Both Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama are planning on spending more money. We are in debt and have been borrowing that money from communist China. I don’t think that being educated in economics make you a good economist at all. Just look at what those well educated economist have done for our economy so far.
    All I hear from Obama is nicely spoken words. Words and catch phrases that he knows will play to the hopes of the people he is trying to get to vote for him. After all the debates and speeches I still don’t know what exactly he wants to do or how he will make it happen. He is the guy that is taking you out for a joy ride; all fun and games until responsibility sets in.
    Hillary Clinton keeps talking about her experience and what she will do. She wants to spend more money and create more bureaucracy and legislate us to death. I think that we should do a better job with the social programs that we already have. She has changed her outfit and her tune more times than a drag queen; no pun intended.
    I hear people talking about we shouldn’t have gone into Iraq, and I agree. The fact is we are there. It seems to me if you want to save money and you don’t want to keep spending it on the war then you have to end it. Tucking tail and running isn’t going to make the enemy go away. How much more money is it going to cost to redeploy the troops?
    I believe we should look at history for the answers and we should learn from our mistakes. Whatever happened to speak softly but carry a big stick? The day Ronald Reagan tool office the Iranian government let the American hostages go. The Iranians knew that Ronald Reagan was serious and he would do everything in his power to defend the life and liberty of those American citizens. I believe John McCain is that kind of leader. We need a commander and chief that will not only bring the troops home, but will bring them home in victory and take care of them when they do get back home.

What I think John McCain offers, is good common sense. He knows you can’t keep robbing Peter to pay Paul. John McCain not only listens to his political allies he listens to his opposition and as a matter of fact that is why some hard line party people didn’t support him. John McCain has integrity and that does not make you the most popular guy in politics.
    Some people say John McCain sounds negative. I think he sounds like a man with real experience, who is optimistic, determined and capable of effectively bringing change that we can all live with. John McCain said the other day, we are not the Victims of history we are the makers of history.

John McCain may not tell you what you want to hear! But John McCain will listen to what you have to say!

February 13, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  3. Mike K

Good news for McCain because Obama's supporters sound like they hate Hillary too much so All Clinton's supporters will go for McCain in this November

February 13, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  4. Bradley Schaubs, Greeley, CO

I hope people realize there is more to Iraq than the seemingly peaceful environment. McCain's a fool if he thinks his boy's story will hold true in Iran and Asia.

God bless, marine. I pray that your father's madness doesn't get you killed.

February 13, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  5. Zein Froma earth

Their Sons Return Alive while other's Son's are Killed.
    Wow.!
    I am tired of republicans provoking wars and Innocent victims are killed.
    How will republicans ever pay for the 5000 plus lives lost in iraq due to their selfishness ?

R.I.P To those innocent Souls Lost in iraq.
    We Will always have you in our hearts.

February 13, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  6. d

I am also glad his son is back home safe. God Bless our Troops. This does not mean that I "like" McCain the candidate.

February 13, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  7. Sparkle, MO

That's great. It's too bad he wants other American sons to stay in Iraq for 100 more years

February 13, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  8. maxine

Bet having his son Jimmy home beats sweeping the Potomic. God bless.

February 13, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  9. Richard, Ewing NJ

I wish his family the best.

February 13, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  10. Michele Miller

It 's soap opera stuff but we shouldn't be there and no amount of soccer balls is going to make the difference. What about all the killed and maimed who's lives are over, never mind Iraqi casualties.

February 13, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  11. California Voter

I'm glad to hear that his son made it back safely from Iraq. A lot of other young men didn't make it back or made it back badly wounded. Although I did not support the preemptive war on Iraq (I guess my judgement equals Obama's) I am a strong support of our military. Maybe, I should run for President, no maybe I'll have to wait another 50 years before this country lets go of its sexist mentality.

February 13, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  12. Leah DiMarco, TX

I am glad he is safe....

but if Iraq is that much back to normal that the troops are handing out soccer balls then it is TIME TO BRING ALL THE TROOPS HOME!

February 13, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  13. Sam

You cant say he only sends other peoples kids to fight. This adds a lot to his credibility.

February 13, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  14. LQ, Rochester MN

I'm glad to know he is safe too. I don't support McCain at all, but thank God his son is back.

February 13, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  15. Scott

McCain is a man of true substance. Doesn't balk at his own child serving in the military like so many politicians but refuses to talk about it to try and make political gain from it. Refreshing and honorable.

February 13, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  16. Obama

You'd think a man who saw the worst of war would be against it. Instead McCain is a bigger war hawk than bush

Makes me sick that he would put his own son, not to mention other peoples kids, in that same position

He truly has no values

February 13, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  17. paul

Senator McCain,

I am a life long democrat but if you get Condaleeza Rice as your VP and Obama is the Democrat Nominee....
    I will vote for you in heartbeat

February 13, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  18. Mark Flanigan

When can we expect to see Chelsea Clinton deploy? Oh, right, she didn't even go to the DC public schools when her dad was President!

February 13, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  19. kevin from alaska

I don't want to bash John McCain or his son.

But a lot of solders come back from Iraq and Afghanistan and don't get the psychological and economical treatment they deserve. You can bet that John's son is not one of those people.

Suicide and homelessness among veterans are facts and I'm just being honest. Look at the statistics. Yes, he is fighting in the war. But no, he's not experiencing the effects in the same way as others are.

That said, I do respect John McCain for not continually bringing up that his son is a soldier. There are definitely a number of other candidates from this race - in both parties - that would make their "soldier child" one of their main talking points (and it'd be completely shameless).

February 13, 2008 09:58 pm at 9:58 pm |
  20. dimitri

john we are very proud of you!!

February 13, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  21. Dairyland Bill

As Barack Obama said at his rally at the University of Wisconsin – Madison last night (I was there with 20,000 others), John McCain is an authentic American hero. Certainly added to his list of accomplishments is the fact that he brought up his son with a strong sense of responsibility to his country.

February 13, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  22. sharon

I'm glad his boy came home safe, too bad many of thousands boys didn't. He tries to make it look like a vacation in paradise, but we know better. John mcCain is a war monger just like Bush.

February 13, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  23. Bob

Holy cow, I had no idea. Obviously, John McCain is principled and doesn't use his offspring to advance his own agenda. I'm impressed. His stock just went up in my book.

February 13, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  24. Mike Edom-ATL

How does it feel to have your son back , McCain?That's how every other American that has a kid out there would want to feel.We want a President that will bring our troops back and that 's definitely not John McCain

February 13, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  25. Jeff

Sorry Sen. You are not Nice Talker, but do the Right Thing. You put your son to protect America, rather than showing While Flag. Have we learn from Russian pull out from Afghanistan ?, no more Russia and place for 9/11.

Jeff