February 13th, 2008

McCain's Marine son returns from Iraq

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Republican presidential candidate John McCain, who almost always refuses to speak on the campaign trail about his son serving in the military, got a rousing reception Wednesday when he told a private gathering of House Republican congressman that his son Jimmy - whose Marine unit had been deployed to Iraq - had arrived home from safely.

–CNN's Dana Bash and Deirdre Walsh

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Daniel Zubairi

So glad to here that Jimmy has come home safely. A great leader and our next president has clearly done well in raising his children to be honorable

February 13, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  2. Anon

He "had arrived home from safely"? What?

February 13, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  3. angela

Well God bless John McCain for letting his son come home safe. Now he can tell him he can fight for 100 more years.

February 13, 2008 11:34 pm at 11:34 pm |
  4. Marcia, Marcia, Marcia in CA

One of the few in Washington that practices what he preaches.

How insignificantly stupid that these steroid hearings are going on when there is so much more important and pressing matters that need taking care of.

Gee, dumb me, I forgot, it "is" Washington,D.C. and the buffoons we continue to send there to "represent" us.

Thank you, Jimmy, for your service.

February 13, 2008 11:38 pm at 11:38 pm |
  5. austintexasone

How many parents got their sons and daughters in acoffin instead?

February 13, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  6. Trading Wine for Beer

Yeah, Obama will have a tough time debating the war on this note. "McCain voted for the war and sent thousands of your children off to die for our country... including his own, for no good reason"

Yeah, I'm sure McCain had no good reason... that's why his own son was deployed. I'm a democrate, but I think he's an honorable man, and suggests to me that McCain was also mislead by the Bush administration. Most politicans shield their children from the front lines.

February 13, 2008 11:40 pm at 11:40 pm |
  7. Mitch

I have a good feeling we could win the war in Iraq if this man is elected president.

You know liberals are upset that his son came back healthy and with good news. Its kind of sad that there are so many people in this country that are rooting for the terrorists and counting on us doing poorly in this war.

February 13, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  8. David from Sonoma County

This Democrat is sincerely glad to hear that Sen. McCains son is out of harms way. I wish he would consider bringing home the brave sons and daughters of the rest of the nation.

February 13, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  9. Scott Stevenson

I am a student at the Wharton School of Business, and there is something dragging down the economy that needs to be address: Mike Huckabee. See my question below, and please read it on air; I think it will generate some actually insightful, subtle dialogue, and that is what we need right now.

Why does nobody speak of Mike Huckabee’s hypocrisy in continuing to accept money from Americans who sorely need it (and who he appeals to as their devout advocate it)? I respect his prerogative to stay in the race, but for him to tout how much money he is collecting for a Campaign to Nowhere is absolute hypocrisy, and one that I am completely flabergasted by: how can he reach out to blue-collar Republicans and what is morally (and by God’s word) “right” while he continues to collect money in what is obviously a selfish endeavor by a man without a job (read: FORMER Gov. Huckabee) and nothing to do but brag about collecting money for a campaign that simply cannot (that word is essential: cannot mathematiccaly occur) succeed. Why has CNN, so often a bastion of critique and free-speech, continued to condone such behavior that is taking millions from hard-working, mostly Southern Americans. Shame on you, Mike.

We here at the Wharton School of Business (where I am a student) certainly DO NO like Mike. His campaign should stop accepting donations–if he did that, then all would be fine, but he is flouting virtue by continuing to take money from a country in need by politicking for his own amusement. He must be one bored former politician.

February 13, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  10. Barbara

That was great news! I hope my nephew makes it back safely in May.He drives a stryker and has been hit once by an IED.

February 13, 2008 11:49 pm at 11:49 pm |
  11. Dave. San Diego, CA

Although I am not a McCain supporting but I'm with you there Glenn.

Jimmy, thank you for your service to this great nation. I truly hope you don't have to go back for a very long time. Hopefully we can get a plan together to bring the rest of the troops home safe and sound very soon.

February 13, 2008 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  12. Frank

ok .... (?)

February 13, 2008 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  13. VoterInTexas

I am a registered Republican. Because of the act of "behind closed doors" corination that took place today for John McCain, I will not vote for him for any reason what so ever in November. He says he wants to reach out to all party members – NO THANKS. This man has NO HONOR OR RESPECT for the American people and the fairnes of the process. The GOP party is there to serve the people NOT the people serve the party – however they see fit. After today McCain, you've lost my vote for good. The Democrats will win because you sir are a loser with a liberal record. Obama enjoy the White House for 4 years and hopefully the GOP will get its act together and support a real full-blooded Conservative Republican.

February 13, 2008 11:54 pm at 11:54 pm |
  14. Sajid

Glad to hear this. Still voting Obama.

February 13, 2008 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  15. Jeff

Editors: I think you meant to say "Bravo 1/1" which is the Marine way of saying "Company B, 1st Battalion, 1st Marines, 1st Marine Division." When we say "1st Marines" or "10th Marines", we are referring to the Regiment.

-JDW

February 13, 2008 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  16. Ed K.

Wolf,
    How do you feel about being a part of a network that helped bring down our country's best chance of having a Qualified women as president?

February 13, 2008 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  17. Ed K.

After all the Clinton bashing and the dust settles CNN will be the biggest loser.

February 13, 2008 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  18. Jennifer

I agree with Glenn. I am also very glad McCain's son arrived back in the states safely. God bless them.

February 14, 2008 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  19. Fermando

I'm sure he's proud of his boy, and he should be. I have two boys serving and I'm as proud of them too. It really hurts me to see anti-marine protesters in an American city which supports too many radical ideas. Semper Fi Mr. McCain, you have my support and vote.

February 14, 2008 12:02 am at 12:02 am |
  20. Jeff an Independent

Have to respect him for refusing to talk about it and make it a political event. Don't plan to vote for him (it will be Obama) but McCain is certainly a man of deep integrity.

February 14, 2008 12:03 am at 12:03 am |
  21. apple

thanks to McCain's son. i appreciate the sacrifice and willingness to serve

February 14, 2008 12:08 am at 12:08 am |