February 13th, 2008

McCain's Marine son returns from Iraq

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Republican presidential candidate John McCain, who almost always refuses to speak on the campaign trail about his son serving in the military, got a rousing reception Wednesday when he told a private gathering of House Republican congressman that his son Jimmy - whose Marine unit had been deployed to Iraq - had arrived home from safely.

–CNN's Dana Bash and Deirdre Walsh

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Philip

Welcome Home!

February 14, 2008 01:24 am at 1:24 am |
  2. Phil

"...his son Jimmy – whose Marine unit had been deployed to Iraq – had arrived home from safely"

Seriously CNN? "from safely"?

February 14, 2008 01:28 am at 1:28 am |
  3. Dave C - N.J.

Glad the son is safe and we all have to support the troops.

That story about the soccor balls seems a bit spun to me though. :)Who knows.

February 14, 2008 01:34 am at 1:34 am |
  4. Niky Ring

Certainly lends his aggressively pro-war stance more credence.

February 14, 2008 01:36 am at 1:36 am |
  5. seth

"...House Republican congressman that his son Jimmy — whose Marine unit had been deployed to Iraq — had arrived home from safely."

from safely, cnn are you trying to say from safety or what?

February 14, 2008 01:39 am at 1:39 am |
  6. Brian

"From safely"? Does anyone edit this stuff before hitting the "post" button?

Even if it's supposed to be "safety," the sentence makes no sense...

February 14, 2008 01:43 am at 1:43 am |
  7. Gavin M

as much I don't want him to win, I am happy for him

February 14, 2008 01:54 am at 1:54 am |
  8. Lani

Have nothing, but respect for John McCain. This guy will be our next president.

February 14, 2008 02:02 am at 2:02 am |
  9. Javier

He just voted against a bill that made waterboarding illegal.

Why would he flip on his own values like that.

February 14, 2008 02:04 am at 2:04 am |
  10. Kevin - Jonesboro, GA

As a West Point graduate myself, I think that we can all set politics aside for the moment and welcome ALL of our men and women back home and continue to pray for those still overseas. Godspeed back home to all!!!

February 14, 2008 02:04 am at 2:04 am |
  11. chris brunner

OOHRAH

February 14, 2008 02:05 am at 2:05 am |
  12. Brent

I'm glad to hear his boy is safe too but I am uncomfortable with him using his son's deployment to make political points. There are many people with children over there who talk very differently about the situation. Also the comment about the soccer balls sounds strangely familiar to his "walk anywhere in Baghdad without armor" comment while he was surrounded by a small army.

February 14, 2008 02:06 am at 2:06 am |
  13. Gaby

Obama is the only and best choice.

February 14, 2008 02:09 am at 2:09 am |
  14. Mike in Cleveland

Glad to hear the boy is safe and I thank father/son for serving our country.

However, it seems odd that when McCain becomes the GOP nominee, his son gets to come home from a tour of duty. Seven months seems kinda short compared to the other tour lengths.
    I wonder if Bush gave a political favor to McCain to pay back for the hit job in S.C. during the 2000 election

February 14, 2008 02:10 am at 2:10 am |
  15. John

I like this.. how many times have people said.. "I like to see you send your kids to war".. he did.

February 14, 2008 02:11 am at 2:11 am |
  16. Chris in Silicon Valley

Yes, he has something on the line and you never hear him mention it, even though it might be politically advantageous.

btw, have you read about the exchange between "W" and Jim Webb (VA Senator) regarding his son?

February 14, 2008 02:19 am at 2:19 am |
  17. Ragshaw

This is indeed impressive. How many senior leaders like Bush, Cheney or Rumsfield have put their own children in the Military. Looking at McCain's crendentials, I can't understand why he was not the republican nominee in 2000. He would have beaten Gore clearly and become the President without the Supreme Court's help and the world would have been spared of 8 years of disastrous misrule of Bush-Cheney.

February 14, 2008 02:21 am at 2:21 am |
  18. will

from a dem and veteran, i am glad to hear his son is safe. at least this is one elected offical whose family actually serves our country. instead of sending other peoples children to do thier dirty work. Mccain is my second choice for POTUS. if Obama does not win the dem nomination. then i vote mccain. The bill and hill show can not be trusted. Obama and Mccain are good honest people who can be trusted. I do not agree with him on the war, but he will not sells out to the highest bidder.

February 14, 2008 02:29 am at 2:29 am |
  19. Khalil

My congratulations on the safe return of all 300 Marines. Good news is rare and precious indeed.

As a democrat who disagrees with McCain on many issues (because despite what Limbaugh says, McCain is a true conservative), I freely admit I respect John McCain, and I can live with him as a President.

February 14, 2008 02:31 am at 2:31 am |
  20. Anonymous

arrived home from safely?

February 14, 2008 02:31 am at 2:31 am |
  21. Julie McLaughlin

Why wasn't McCain's son forced to stay in Iraq for extended tours like all of the other military? How convenient!

February 14, 2008 02:42 am at 2:42 am |
  22. Richie

First I salute all our soldiers. Second, why was he handing soccer balls? our kids need soccer balls to so can they all come back and do that at home? And if and God forbid that the soldiers are actually at arms length, then why is his son handing soccer balls while the others are fighting? A republican PR thing?

February 14, 2008 02:58 am at 2:58 am |
  23. Vicki

I'm an Obama supporter, and I won't be voting for John McCain. Having said that, I'm very glad to hear that his son is home safely. I appreciate Jimmy McCain's service, even if I don't agree with the war he was sent to fight.

February 14, 2008 03:03 am at 3:03 am |
  24. Kris

"his son Jimmy — whose Marine unit had been deployed to Iraq — had arrived home from safely."

What kind of grammar is this?

Pathetic.

February 14, 2008 03:06 am at 3:06 am |
  25. ch

Welcome home jimmy. btw Marines tour of duty as well as the navy and airforce are only 6 months. The army gets screwed with 15 months.

February 14, 2008 03:07 am at 3:07 am |