February 13th, 2008

Obama, McCain sweep Potomac primaries

Sen. John McCain picked up wins in Virginia, Maryland and the District of Columbia on Tuesday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - While Sen. John McCain was inching toward the Republican presidential nomination, Sen. Barack Obama staked a claim as the Democratic front-runner.

Obama's wins in the District of Columbia, Maryland and Virginia primaries propelled him past Sen. Hillary Clinton in the race for delegates.

According to CNN calculations, Obama has 1,215 delegates to Clinton's 1,190.

Full story

1. Reese

OBAMA! Yes we can! Everyone needs to get on the band wagon...please! Grow Up! It is time for a real change! Hopefully it will be McCain and OBAMA then the Democrates can sweep the floor with McCain.

February 13, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  2. :|

So now a 25 delegate lead is big enough for front-runner status?

I remember when Hillary had a 40 (give or take) delegate lead and CNN going, "OH, yeah, well, it's pretty tied right now, so..."

Sad.

February 13, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  3. PA Dem White Woman

Just made my very first political contribution, and
    it's to Obama. As others, I am skeptical also,
    but Hillary is not it for me.

February 13, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  4. Chris

Ancher, that is about the dumbest statement ever.

It is called being a U.S. Department of State baby. Well that is the Birth Cert. he has.
    Obviously, he is a military brat and he would be a U.S. Citizen. Nevermind I'm not wasting my time with your ignorant statement.

February 13, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  5. Tom St. Louis

Well I guess all you Obama cultists can stop whining about superdelegates...

February 13, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  6. Lonnie Allen

Obama is the only real canidate for change. We cannot have this country on the path of no Change Hilary cvannnot provide it McCain is another 4 years of bush Iraq Policy we need Change we Need Obama "YES WE CAN"

February 13, 2008 11:35 am at 11:35 am |
  7. Minda Lillie

FYI to Jim (above) and all those who continue to dredge up this garbage, the prosecutors at your expense spent millions of your tax money to try to prove all those trumped up charges and guess what? None of them bore fruit, but of course you keep bringing up this old cra* , Why? Seems to me that its not a black man but a woman that is the last prejudice left. Men seem to resent a woman who has success but to continue to try to use this old and proven to be wrong trash against Hillary shows that some hatred for Hillary is not reasoned at all but full of this kind of thing. What really is behind this? Misogynists often try to hide behind a smoke screen of ridiculous excuses rather than face their own flaws and unreasonable judgments.

I think some of Obama's support is merely hatred of Hillary rather than support for him. That is the real shame, especially if you are a democrat and suppose to be for civil rights which should apply equally to a woman as well as a black man.

What then will happen to Obama when he no longer has his Hillary shield? Will he be as appealing then?

February 13, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  8. Pat Shepard

At first I thought that the "McCaine can't be president because he was born in Panama to US Citizens" thing was just rhetoric, but looking into it:

The natural born citizen clause is a subject of debate. No law or court ruling has ever established the precise definition of a natural born citizen. It is generally agreed that a natural born citizen of the United States is any person born in one of the 50 states or the District of Columbia. But it is not firmly agreed if this definition should also include persons born in United States overseas territories or persons born to United States citizens living abroad. (From Wikipedia)

Seems worth a more formal and investigative look from CNN...

February 13, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  9. Sal

edwards sold Kerry out. If he changes his change position to support the Status Quo as he put in a november debate, more power to him, he shall have his reward, while Obama is sitting in the White House. His support and endorsement are already moving towards Obama. Those needing more detailed answers about Obama or Hillary can easily visit thier website. Be proactive and wll informed. Then we all can pick the best individual Democratic cansidate. Edwards earlier question 100 vote out 4000 legislative vote of Obama's. That sounded silly to me. in the 2004 compaign, Edwards was scolled by Cheney of all people for not being present for 90% of his votes during Edwards first and only term as senator. Why would I be surprise about him brokering deals with both camps.

Obama is my choice. Bill clinton promoted change in 1992, He had no Washington DC experience, but a vission some may define as hope.

As a country We have never been successfull in reaching back.

Problems of today need thinkers that embraces the "Now"

February 13, 2008 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  10. Paula

I have always been a Democratic party person. But got to say if Obama gets the nod, will vote for McCain instead. First time for everything.

Would never vote for the Huckster. Had him for Gov. to many years as it is, nearly did this state in, why would anyone want him as President.

February 13, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  11. Jenny, Rio Vista, CA

Another awesome night for Obama. Now its onto Wisconsin and Hawaii. This is so exciting. This time next year we will all be seeing a president that we and the world will respect. President Barack Obama.

February 13, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  12. dem08

OBAMA-LAMA-DING-DONG, WHAT A JOKE.

February 13, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  13. Williams

Ancher, John McCain IS a US citizen. Maybe you need a refresher course in what makes a natural born US citizen. Shows you have little or no knowledge of military service.

February 13, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  14. roy

think about it Billary supporters. you say obama has no substance. well when you say that you also shoot hllary in the foot since there programs and what they will say they do are essentially the same. will they ever get a fighting chance to do it ought to be the center of debate. with the baggage hillary has and the dislike republicans have for her. its unlikely she will get anything done. obama has an appeal for all parties and people thereby making him most likely to get done what essentially hillary is proposing.

February 13, 2008 11:55 am at 11:55 am |
  15. Taylor

If Obama gets the nomination I'm voting for McCain. I'm terrified of what would happen with him in office if another 9/11 happened. He doesn't have the experience to deal with it.

February 13, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  16. Michael Arnaud-Glen Burnie, Maryland

Ancher-Yes, McCain's father may have been serving in the military and stationed in Panama at the time we was born, that means John McCain was born in a US military hospital on a US military base. That means he has a US birth certificate, not one from Panama. Which makes him a US citizen and he can run for President. Check your facts bud.

February 13, 2008 12:09 pm at 12:09 pm |
  17. Debbie

I am stunned that America is falling for the Obama rhetoric. I'm a Hillary supporter, and will continue to be. Our society is in the grip of loving things that are razzle-dazzle but have little substance. And America is falling for it again! I believe in the importance of experience, and experience trumps 'likeability'. Hillary has the vision to put us back on the right track. Let her fix us. I am amazed that Obama thinks he is ready for this job! He should be a senator- and serve his nation in the way he was elected to, for now. And how his campaign is becoming a pompous machine. Just a lot of hot air! If its McCain vs. Obama- I'm voting McCain- experience trumps likeability.

February 13, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  18. pam Eugene OR

Congratulations Senator Obama. It is fun watching you! Remember about a month ago when Hillary said this is the fun part. She was right. I am having a blast!

February 13, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  19. ready for some action

what the hell is that thing mccain is walking next to in the cnn picture? is that some kind of underground tram on the senate side of the hill or something? pretty cool!!!

oh yeah... GO OBAMA! on to wisconsin, hawaaii, texas, ohio.... eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh [dean scream]

you hillary supporters are pretty funny with your lame barack hating posts.

February 13, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  20. Midge from Ohio

All of you who say "Obama- yes we can", I wonder what you are talking about. You can what? Obama would make a great minister, he is all feel good rah rah stuff, but no answers, no substance. This is probably the most important election we have ever had, and we need a strong leader who does more than preach to his "followers".

February 13, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  21. Ray

As a person of color and a registered Democrat I feel certain I will vote for Hillary Clinton- regardless if the entire country rolls over to the Obama camp. There are too many unanswered questions about Obama and I feel certain he will get skewered in November. His message of hope without specifics is not good enough for me. If Hillary loses the Democratic nomination I will definitely change my vote for John McCain. We need someone with experience in the White House. I am not sure Obama has the right stuff to occupy that position.

February 13, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  22. Ray

We need a woman ro run this House!!!

February 13, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  23. bryan

Military bases out of the country are part of the U.S. territories. In all respects, including birth rights, they are considered U.S. soil. McCain is a U.S. citizen by birth, though he won't be POTUS, sorry.

February 13, 2008 12:40 pm at 12:40 pm |
  24. Jenny

Come on. To the first commentor: what are you protecting your children from? Have you even looked at Obama's stances? Or are you just a slave to Hillary propaganda?

Obama has accomplished work in the Senate, on a BI-PARTISAN level. He's worked extensively with Dick Lugar who is considered far right. Barack Obama's had more time in elected office than Hillary Clinton. And while Hillary has spent time as a corporate lawyer, Obama was a civil rights lawyer. What would you rather have?

DON'T BE FOOLED! Obama has plans, and they can work bi-partisanly. I encourage everyone to do the research.

Not to mention, Obama can beat McCain. The research shows that he has a better chance with McCain than Clinton does.

Don't be discouraged, and don't forget that you have the right to support whoever you want for President! Don't let lies bring down your enthusiasm for what you believe in or your candidate!

February 13, 2008 12:44 pm at 12:44 pm |
  25. Lady

Obama watch your back. The Clintons are slick. They want to win by any means. Please don't fall into any of their traps. Plus stay away from Tavis Smiley. He's a race baiter just like Al Sharpton and Bill Clinton. If they did'nt chase that kind of conversation down they would not be in the public eye. Playing the race card is their claim to fame.
    Tavis just like Andrew Young is mad because you did'nt ask him for help. You don't need it. You are for all Americans and he wants you to be for only Black Americans. He's old Black leadership and we don't want that anymore.

February 13, 2008 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |