February 14th, 2008

Aloha: Chelsea Clinton to campaign in Hawaii

Chelsea Clinton campaigned for her mother in California in early February.
Chelsea Clinton campaigned for her mother in California in early February.

(CNN) - As part of the Clinton campaign's declared effort to fight for every delegate in every state, Chelsea Clinton is heading to Hawaii, Barack Obama's home turf, according to a Clinton campaign source. She'll spend three days, including this weekend, campaigning there.

The Clinton campaign has been criticized for not competing in the smaller states and caucuses, but is now trying to adjust their strategy. A campaign source says they are not focused only on Texas and Ohio.

On conference call Wednesday, Clinton staffer Guy Cecil said the campaign would now be hiring staffers and opening field offices in several states with upcoming contests they had not devoted resources to before, including Montana and Wyoming.

Hillary Clinton has been endorsed by Sen. Daniel K. Inouye of Hawaii, and will be doing satellite interviews with Hawaiian TV today.

A campaign source says Chelsea has proven to be an effective campaigner and they see a strong correlation between Chelsea's visits and improved performance.

At this point, says one campaign source, it's a delegate fight, and even narrowing a loss has a huge impact.

This cycle Chelsea campaigned for her mother in California – the first state where Clinton won the youth vote. The rural congressional district where Chelsea campaigned in Nebraska outperformed others in the state. So far this cycle, Chelsea Clinton has campaigned in at least 15 states.

–CNN’s Jessica Yellin

Filed under: Chelsea Clinton • Hawaii • Hillary Clinton
  1. WH, Washington, DC

You people with all these negative hateful comments think you're going to unite our country. Give me a break.

February 14, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  2. cc, Chicago

I'm an Obama supporter and while I agree Chelsea Clinton campaigning means she's no longer off limits, I see nothing wrong whatsoever in her campaigning for her mother. She loves her mother and believes in her mother's abilities. She's also obviously someone who doesn't relish the public role so I for one applaud her for her loyalty to her mother, and also for her poise on the campaign trail.

February 14, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  3. Pete

How does Hillary have 35 years of experience? She has been a Senator for only 6 or 7 years.
    Obama has been a Senator for less than 4 years.
    Seems to me that they are both inexperienced, however, it appears that Obama has fired up the american people. This is exactly what our country needs, we need to become one again!!!!!!!!!!
    So, again, can somebody out there tell me where Hillarys 35 years of experience has come from within Washington DC????????
    All of you Hillary supporters better wake up, she is a Clinton and all they want is the "POWER" and "MONEY"

February 14, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  4. Norman Hsu1

NEWSFLASH--Hillary up in polls!

Okay, yup Clinton supporters, Hillary is up in the polls. That means she's going to win. Nothing for you to do then....go back to sleep, go watch a movie, & take it easy. No more work to do – your candidate will easily win Ohio, texas and Penn. Time to relax now.......

February 14, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  5. Mark, Detroit Michigan

Hey Claire, it cuts both ways..supporters of both sides have engaged in a smear campaign to discredit the other candidate. Thing is, you need the support of the losing democratic candidiate to get into the White House.

So all you supporters of a particular candidate, please tell me why I should vote for your candidate. Telling me why I shouldn't vote for the other person where it is not based on facts will have the opposite affect.

I am just getting tired of all that is written to discredit people where the facts don't back it up.

February 14, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  6. Linda

The double standard on all media outlets is deplorable. I completely quit watching MSNBC. They were vicious. So many blogs with negative Obama bloggers. They are more nasty than the media. If Obama is running a 'clean' campaign maybe he should encourage his bloggers to clean up their nastiness. Oh..thats right he doesn't say it, he encourages them to do it!

Obama racist? You bet. He is playing the race card more every speech. His mention of slavery and discrimination when he was born is patronizing. When he was born Hillary was in high school then went on to college as an activist for black and women's right.

She actually fought for her right to be where she is. She was also fighting for the Obama's of the world to have rights.

So when Obama talks of 'progress' he best look at who was at the forefront of the fight.

I remember Rosa Lee Parks as being the leader too. It was her stance that made the break. Women have always lead the way. Women have always united........well maybe everyone except Ann Coulter...but I doubt her gender, really her species

February 14, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  7. rabblerouser

Hillary may actually make a comeback if the media (including CNN) doesn't continue to run its biased reports, smearing anything Clinton and idolizing anything Obama.

Despite what the media says or reports, she's getting my vote on March 4th.

February 14, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  8. From California

Thank you to the Clintons and go HILLARY ! hurray...

Want to comment on Hussein Obama who wouldn't protect USA from the 9/11 threat by choosing to stay "SILENT!?" hell no!
    He is far from qualified. Given the situation at the time, we support Hillary's decision and great CHOICE.

We need Hillary's leadership to bring back the prosperous time her husband had delivered!

February 14, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  9. Anonymous

At least Hillary isn't claiming Chelsea is fighting the war on terror by driving around the US in a RV rather than signing up for the army and heading to Iraq like the Mitt did.

February 14, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  10. Angela

I think it's great that she is campaigning for her mom. Maybe someday her mom and dad will be campaigning for her!

We are ready for a woman president! Third world country's have had women leader's. What wrong with the U.S.?

It's Hillary's time right now! Barack should step down and wait eight more years since he's a bit younger than her.

February 14, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  11. Caroline Harrison Ohio

Mrs. Clinton can't run a household, can't run a campaign, can't run the country, period.

February 14, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  12. observer#1

This young woman has every right to camoaign for her mother , as an American citizen that is everyone's right. The Obama people seem to want to discredit so many rights given to us. Nothing negative said when Obama sent his "ogress" Oprah and Michelle to campaign for him.

February 14, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  13. California Independent

Why do writers express hatred for Clinton along with adoration for Obama then claim they are undecided? It's just weird. It's no wonder I left the Democratic Party. If I can't get a third party, I'll gladly vote Republican. Democrat supporters are too snipy and whiny.

February 14, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  14. Danielle

Go Chelsea, your mom will make a great President.

February 14, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  15. Nicole

It's so funny the Obamabots were already claiming victory where in fact the race just barely past the halfway mark. The winner needs about 2,000 delegates to win so it's still a long way to go folks. And the horizon looks good for Hillary- possible win in TX, OH and PA. She's also making some grounds in Wisconsin and Hawaii. Watch out Obama, here she comes!

I'm donating again my grocery money for Hillary.

February 14, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  16. SecondSage

The Clinton campaign is coming to their senses. I guess the shake up counted for something. The new staff obviously realize this is not 1992 and won't continue to get their head handed to them.

They turned off alot of voters including myself. At the beginning of the year she had a chance to get my vote. But I've already made my decision. Chelsea is getting on the job training. Welcome to politics.

February 14, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  17. Andrea L

Mr Obama I am a working 52 year old Afro American, those working women who make america go, we don't do parades, we work, we dont' do sing alongs, we work and when is all said and done we vote
    Mr. Obama speaches are nice but where is the beef....You can fool the feel goods... but Gore felt good... Kerry felt good... Bush still won
    Senator Clinton tells me where the money is comming from, she tells me she does not know it all until she gets all the pieces,,, The war was everybodies mistake yours too... Sorry you are just not cute enough to get my vote.... Mr Feel Good

America wake up!!!!!!

February 14, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  18. Sarah

SO, SO, SO, sick of the Clintons. Go Away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 14, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  19. Elsa

For some people, if Chelsea and Bill Clinton do not compaign for Hillary, they'd say that even her own family do not support her. If they do compaign for her, they'd say she cares about her own ambition more than her daughter. This is amazing world!

February 14, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  20. dan agbada

The Clinton's should Give Up to remain respected and unite the party !

February 14, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  21. Mr. Rod, Golden State

BO knows the American people and America supports Obama 08!

No thanks, Chelsea! I will not and do not want to vote for your mommy.

BARACK OBAMA (BO) 08!

February 14, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  22. Kelly

A year ago, I was purely for Hillary. In the fall, I saw the inspiration in Obama. For awhile, I, like most Americans, teetered on both and thought either one will great for this country. Then, I started listening further. Behind every Clinton speech I found substance, behind every Obama speech, I found pure rhetoric. I am young, I am idealistic, I am higher-educated, according to the media, I am for Obama. At this point, if Obama is the nominee, the only reason I would vote for him is for the SCOTUS nomination that is inevitable. His wife, his team, his supporters all resonate with hypocritical negativity. The posts from Obama supporters are nasty, his wife is quite rude (and I really wanted to like her), and his speeches are meaningless. Make no mistake, if Obama wins, it will only be because of the media bias. He is negative ALL THE TIME. No critics to respond to that, but the moment Hillarys "goes negative" is reaches headlines. Obama is more of the same. Hillary might be as well, but she does not proclaim to be 'holier than thou". Obama does. Please undecided voters, really do your research. It's hard in the land of Obama, but if you do not do it now, say Goodbye to the Whitehouse in November and hello 100 years of Iraq and another Scalito in SCOTUS.

KD Hillary 2008

February 14, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  23. Greg

Obamobots are singing a different tune now that everyone has called Obama on his fluff and no substance. He's a great speaker, I'll give him that. Once the smokescreen is gone, the lights are off, and the cameras are gone....then what good does a speech give you?

Clinton for Solutions.

Obomabots for Promises.

Hillary '08!

February 14, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  24. Joe

Hillary will win Texas, Ohio, Vermont, Pennsylvania and Rhode Island. A poll for Wisconsin only has Hillary down by 4 points! Go Hillary!!

February 14, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |