February 14th, 2008

Blitzer: The stars are aligning for McCain

Things are starting to fall into place for John McCain
Things are starting to fall into place for John McCain

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Things are beginning to fall into place very nicely for John McCain. With Mitt Romney’s endorsement, his campaign is clearly moving toward the next phase. He has already lined up most of the Senate and House Republican leaders. They gathered with him this week to praise his campaign and to swipe away at the two remaining Democratic candidates. The Republican governors and big city mayors will be next.

Mike Huckabee continues his uphill struggle, but the fact that he is taking some time off to fly to the Cayman Islands this weekend to deliver a paid speech speaks volumes. The former Arkansas governor certainly deserves a lot of credit for what he has achieved – with limited staff and money. He started off with virtually no national name recognition. He came pretty close but not close enough. The stars are aligning for the Arizona senator.

McCain still has an enormous challenge in getting the conservative base on board. He is making progress now that almost everyone assumes he has the nomination wrapped up. But there are still many lingering doubts about his record on campaign finance reform, comprehensive immigration reform, global warming, tax cuts, and other issues. But he has started the process of party unification. His strong stance on national security will help.

His life will be made easier in the coming weeks by the fact that Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama will be fighting it out for delegates. In the process, he can afford to take the high road – at least for now.

Programming note: Watch Larry King’s exclusive interview with GOP front-runner John McCain tonight on Larry King Live at 9 P.M. Eastern.

–CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer

Filed under: Wolf Blitzer
  1. AP, NY

I wish the Democratic Party would do the same. After Hillary and Obama are thru fighting for the nomination, McCain would be on his way to the White House.

All the bickering between Hill And Obama supporters is self destructive!! Neither will win the general elections...

February 14, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  2. Darth Vadik, CA

Yes Wolf stars are aligning.

What a bunch of crap, the only reason McCain is winning is by default.
    He is the least worst candidate among the ranks of the vile Republican side.

February 14, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  3. Rex Savage

Stars are aligning for McCain? Hey, that's Mitt Romney you're talking about, not somebody who counts.

But who cares, anyhow, what the republicans do? Now the walk-out of Congress, that's another story altogether. I think the "striking" republicans are not going nearly far enough in their feeble protests. I think they ALL should resign immediately in protest. All of them. Now. Now THAT would be a protest we could all love and enjoy!

February 14, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  4. Gary

Its good that McCain is getting the nomination quickly. It will give him more time to strengthen his platform and of course that lucrative conservative base.

Go John Go!

February 14, 2008 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  5. Mary

Wolf, I watch your program every day. I am so sick and fed up with Jack Cafferty slamming Hillary Clinton everyday, three times a day. Thats is the only subject he ever talks about. I dont know what she has ever done to him but I am really fed up. Is there something you can do abaout it or is he so powerful he can say whatever he wants, even on your show?
    If I tune in once more and he's tearing her down AGAIN, I will turn the channel. I do have choices, you know!
    I am one of herbig fans and I resent people who have a platform and mike to abuse it.
    Thanks so much.

February 14, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  6. Rod Venger

Mitt Romney did every primary voter whose states have not yet voted a huge disservice. He's singlehandedly made their votes totally irrelevant. He should have allowed the voters to decide the race instead of handing McCain his delegates. Way to go, Mitt. -USAPatriot

February 14, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  7. Praetorian, Fort Myers, FL

No kidding!!

He's got no problem.
    The agenda's of both Clinton and Obama read like a Socialist party manifesto!!

No place in their agenda's for valued American ideals like: personal responsibility, free enterprise, sacrifice, and self-service....

Man, I never thought I'd see the day when two people, with such un-american ideas–could rise to such popularity!!

February 14, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  8. Donna Burton

McCain this star in TEXAS is never going to align behind you. I'm not here to serve you, you are here to serve us – the people. Remember these great words??? "It is not me who has left the party, but rather the "party" has left me." My vote is for the real full-blooded Republican, Mike Huckabee who can bring real change to our country (Fair Tax, Secure Borders & Open Book policy.) In November, I will write in Mike Huckabee on the ballot too.

February 14, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  9. Bill Jay

Wolf man.......you are better then most of the other jerks you work with.
    You are a cool dude, and report the facts, I like that in you.

February 14, 2008 04:39 pm at 4:39 pm |
  10. jim Scottsdale AZ

Wolf I don't know about the stars, but I am a Republican and not voting for McCain. The whole point is we should have never been in Iraq and Bush should have been impeached.

I have a question for Senator McCain How much does it cost to occupy Iraq for a 100 years?? when we invaded the Country for false reasons.

Where is Osma? John we gave you and George 3 trillion dollars where is Osma? Public enemy #1 and this administration led by War Mongers could not find Osma, so they failed with their #1 objective.

John let's talk about the economy we are 60 trillion in debt including social security and medicare.

The war was going to be paid for by Iraqi oil?? John what happend there?

John why is the dollar dropping like a stone?? Why are you bailing the crooks of Wall Street? why don't you put them in jail??

What is going to happen to the 74,000 hourly workers from GM?? why is Detroit a ghost town and what happened to the Economy and the auto Industry??

Wolf if someone would ask the guy a hard question he would fold but the media asks these candidates stupid questions and when they babble and say nothing you let them off the hook.

Wolf I dare you to hold his feet to the fire on a real question. Senator McCain has no idea how the economy works. he has never had a job and has always been taken care of.

February 14, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  11. Phyllis

In listening to Romney endorse McCain, I am so tired of hearing the Republicans inject fear into the American people every time they speak in order to get a vote. If our political leaders on both sides of the isle truly love this country, why don't they speak more about working together.

February 14, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  12. josh r.

smooth now, but McCain getting so much fewer votes in the primaries than either hillary or barack its very clear to see that he has an everest climb coming up in the general elections. I can see through raw numbers that Obama is going to cream him in the general elections simply based on the huge number of voters he is bringing in compared to McCain.

February 14, 2008 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  13. Frank

All of that might be true, if there was anyone paying any attention to John McCain. He stands a snowball's chance in Phoenix of winning the presidency with a platform consisting of "don't know much about the economy" and "a hundred years in Iraq would be fine with me."

February 14, 2008 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  14. America?

At some point the GOP will begin to realize that their worst enemy isn't Obama or Hillary or even Huckabee, but themselves.

February 14, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  15. the voice of Truth

Romney is now supporting a man of whom he has been exceedingly critical. McCain needs to point out what a flip-flopper he is.

February 14, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  16. Laurinda

With Romney endorsing McCain I hope this is not going to mean that Romney will be a candidate for vice president. If that happens are country will be going down hill faster. The blind leading the blind.

February 14, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  17. Karen Rhodes

Is it too much to ask for the partisan commentators – especially that tragic little screeching blonde just on opposite Donna Brazile – to take note of the correct name of the party of FDR and JFK, at least while they get free air time to attack it? We are the Democratic Party, not the "Democrat" party. Are they the "Republic" party? Didn't think so. I understand that Republicans decided as one a few years back to demonize us and that means taking away our name, lest it seem too, well, democratic, for their top down elitist view of how America ought to be. I'm just an old latte liberal, but I hope one day to live in a country where my party's name can be spoken as written, at least on television.

February 14, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  18. Doria

I was very glad to see Gov Romney on CNN live this afternoon. Being a Texan, I was planning to vote for Mitt Romney in the primary. I'm still very much a Romney supporter. I have respect and belief in Gov. Rom ey, so I will probably vote for Mr. McCain. Feb.19 is the beginning of early primary voting here in Texas, so next Tuesday, I will remember Mitt Romney's speech throwing his support for McCain. Romney still has alot of followers, so this will help unite the Republican and start to mend some fences, at least on my part with the Repiblican party.
    Go Mitt Romney in 2012!!

February 14, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  19. nita

i was surprised to see that you wrote a fairly decent article about john mccain. without any negative undertones. i might read and listen to you some more. if you keep saying things that sound fairly thought out. and simply stated. :) i used to listen to you all the time. i have two words to say about huch a bee, the words are ross perot.

February 14, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  20. ben

Big deal!

February 14, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  21. Brandon

What would the primaries be like if Romney would have had the McCain way of paying for his camp. Do you think everything would have played out the way they are now? Him swallowing his pride and joining his rival

Brandon St. Louis, MO

February 14, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  22. Joe

My question to Hillary Supporters!

Hillary talks about her 35 years experience but she can't even run her campaign! She raised $140 million and with out of control spending she have to loan her campaign $5 million. IF SHE CAN"T EVEN RUN HER CAMPAIGN HOW IS SHE GONNA RUN THE COUNTRY!

Also John Mccain has to get a loan to run his campaign after a disastrous start.

These two talk about experience but can't even run their own campaign.

February 14, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  23. Mark

Hmmmm…

I'm not sure what to think of ROMNEY endorsing McLIBERALCain…

I trust Romney enough though (come on…he's a squeeky clean Mormon) that I MIGHT vote for McCain IF ROMNEY was the VP or something…you know, getting ready for the BIG race in 2012 or 2016 (if McLiberal wants 2 terms)…

I'm going to have to THINK ABOUT THIS ONE…

February 14, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  24. tomdavie

Clinton supporters for Mc Cain!!!

We will never let the media pick the president.

Here is to california going to Mc Cain in november !!!

February 14, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  25. Cindy

I'm a republican and very conservative, but probably would have voted for McCain BEFORE the Romney endorsement. Romney was way more liberal as governor, and his endorsement brings McCain too far to the left for me. I would now probably vote independent or for Hillary.

February 14, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |