February 14th, 2008

Major union nod for Obama

(CNN) - One of the country’s biggest unions - the United Food and Commercial Workers Union - voted Thursday to endorse Barack Obama.

Obama’s Democratic opponent, Hillary Clinton, had also hoped for the union’s nod.

The union, which has more than a million members, is very active in Ohio and Texas - both contests the Clinton campaign is counting on to help her regain momentum in the Democratic presidential race.

It is also very strong in Pennsylvania, another major contest looming on the horizon, and is a major force in voter turnout in all three states.

The union represents workers in the meatpacking industry, in supermarkets and food processing.

–CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. stophillary

Keep the MO-JO going!

February 14, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  2. Kathy S.

The Clintons make me sick. They are liars and very dishonest. I pray that Hillary does not become president. All she is interested in is a power struggle to become the first woman president no matter what lies she tells the public.

Go Obama!! I am with you all the way.

February 14, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  3. jackson

It's great to get an endorsement but if they do nothing to mobilize and be active, then it is merely symbolic. That is not to say there is not value in symbolism or perception at this point, but it may add little tangible value.

February 14, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  4. Joe in nyc

How can we trust Hillary to run the Country when she failed at running her own campaign? so much for experience... she thought she would be crowned by virtue of her name recognition totally discounting Barack.. Is this what we are to expect in her White House? can we trust her as a president going into a 'must fight' war and expecting to win just because of her good looks?

We need a president who never underestimates the opponent. Obama has proven himself just by showing us how to run a campaign that was doomed since day one.. He is truly showing this country what he is capable of.. I am sold President Obama.. I salute you..

February 14, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  5. Jewel P.

What?!? Say what?!? I cant believe that this happened!!!! This just isnt fair. The comments for the OBAMA page should be much much bigger!!!! The two things that I would love to hear: Obama winning as the 1st BLACK P. of the U.S.A and those rebate checks have arrived!!!! LOL!!!!! OBAMA 2008!!!!

February 14, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  6. Kristopher

True this would have been a pretty big help to Hillary but none the less, she commands a lot of respect and Americans will help her to be OUR NEW PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES!!!!

HILLARY 08!!!!!!!

TEXAS FOR HILLARY!!!!!!!

February 14, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  7. California Voter

Well, at least the voters will not be intimidated to vote for Obama by having the union boss staring them down like in Nevada!

By the way, I don't recall a political ticker going out when former Senator John Glenn endorsed Hillary Clinton. I'm not big on this endorsement stuff, but it would have been a little more fair and equal to see the announcement on the ticker. Morever, there was a political ticker that went out when Hulk Hogan endorsed Obama. Now who is more knowledgeable about what a candidate is all about Hulk or Senator Glenn?

February 14, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  8. Eric

Let me guess. Hillary will spin this as being an endorsement that "doesn't really matter" and she "wasn't expecting to get anyway". Been hearing that alot lately.

February 14, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  9. A2MANI

I wonder when will Hillary do what Mitten Romney has done to his party today !?

I am a tremendous mathematician.. for Hillary to get nomination, she will have to win by 70% in OH, TX & Pennyslavia… from the look of it, Obama EVEN if he loose will come near to 45% of 100% to Hillary which means Hillary will get max of 55% lets say and concludes she doesn't stand a chance to win nomination so far..

..hillary just DROP OUT and do us Democrats a favor, I am not gonna vote this year but it will hurt if our party will continue to be divided by what you have just started showing on your ads, those are TANTRUMS! stop it, please!

…OBAMA 08

…OBAMA 08

…OBAMA 08

…OBAMA 08

February 14, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  10. Patricia

Jo ~ Senator Clinton has totally lost all respect with the way she has run her campaign. She will not be getting my vote.

February 14, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  11. Cathy

Why do people have to be so mean to other americans? So what if you are supporting Obama or Hillary. The above blogs especially from Obama supporters are just plain rude.

February 14, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  12. jd

The United States needs a man like Obama because we also need his skills to be the global leader that we need in today's world.
    He makes me feel excited about the USA and I will do my part to help.
    We are educated voters; we know things will not change overnight, yet, his leadership is the first step in a long road of goodness and I fully support him and the talented people he will surround himself with.

February 14, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  13. FLK

I am very confident OBAMA will bring WORLD PEACE, peace that is so elusive to other American Presidents. Hillary Clinton will never bring world peace.. OBAMA CAN AND WILL.. HE is different.. America is a world leader and America need a Leader who will lead the world, not just America..

February 14, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  14. puddytat

Hillary or Obama shouldn't worry too much. The Republican party is taking its last breath . Either one of them stands a better chance in Nov. than McCain .

Todays Republicans are so arrogant beyond their senses that they don't have sense enough to know that they have run out of people to betray . By the time money influences them at this level , they are no longer
    just stupid , they have been abandoned by their own soul.

I'm an Independent that usually votes rep. I know lot's of people that would vote Rep still if Hucabee were in and if McCain were out ...I don't know ANYBODY that will vote for McCain Not even my REP friends .

February 14, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  15. David DS

Barack,

I will continue to pray and fast for you, your family and the American People as you lead the way for the positive CHANGE that the whole world expect for the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

GO BAMA GO!!!

Obama/JESUS '08

February 14, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  16. Carole in Canada

What a sad sad blog, Instead of discussing what this might or might not do for Obama the comments are more concerned with criticizing H. Clinton
    Wow if this is an example of the intellect of Obama supporters, you can have him!!!
    Hillary 08!

February 14, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  17. Judy

Go Obama!

February 14, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  18. JOHN

YOU HILLARY LOVERS HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY. BUT PLEASE TELL ME IF IT'S, READY TO LEED ON DAY ONE, SOLUTIONS, EXPERIENCE, SHE EVEN TRIED TO SAY SHE WAS THE CHANGE PERSON. I'M CONFUSED AND SO IS SHE.

February 14, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  19. Sam

The signs are on the wall. This is about change. The Demoncratic Party has a greater chance of winning with Barack than with Hilary. The Republican Party has more dirt on Hilary than on Obama.

February 14, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  20. insurmountable

there has not been anyone in U.S. political history to bring people together like you - Obama. go for it

February 14, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  21. Obamacan

SEIU is rapping up a decision to endorse OBAMA.

February 14, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  22. The Eye

I've always wondered something... Hillary is always talking about helping out the little people....Her net worth is over 34 million dollars and she came from the well to do suburbs. What does she really know about the little people...or what do they call them... the dunkin donut people. She was a starbucks gal.

I'm one of the little and Obama definitely gets my vote.

February 14, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  23. Dave

Hey,

Remember when gas was $2.00 a gallon, and the economy was thriving...

With Mr. Obama your can look forward to higher gas costs, and fewer jobs, and a inflationary health care plan...

DON'T LOOK, LISTEN; *** Because, that's exactually what he is selling..***

Sincerely,

David L Risoff

Good luck...

February 14, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  24. Daniel Stevens

This is good news but we have to organize and get excitement going on in Texas, Ohio, and Pennsylvania. I'm donating again. I am hoping that He (Obama) gets his butt down to Texas SOON !! and out to Ohio, and on to Pen. We cannot wait! we do NOT want a repeat of California. Not again. This time we MUST hit the ground and hit it hard and nothing revs up those of us who support him like a great rally.

February 14, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  25. Martin

Naomi – do you just simply not understand a the purpose of a "present" vote? It does not look like it so I'd be delighted to explain. It's actually a plus – it means a senator will, in principle, be happy to support a bill should a FEW CONCERNS be addressed. It means that the baby is not always thrown out with the bath water. In this way, promising legislation can be IMPROVED and FINE-TUNED to make excellent legislation.
    Not every vote by a senator should be a simple binary yes/no vote. Where would the constructive dialogue be in that?

February 14, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |