February 14th, 2008

McCain's Marine son returns from Iraq

McCain said Wednesday his son has returned from Iraq.
McCain said Wednesday his son has returned from Iraq.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Republican presidential candidate John McCain, who almost always refuses to speak on the campaign trail about his son serving in the military, got a rousing reception Wednesday when he told a private gathering of House Republican congressman that his son Jimmy - whose Marine unit had been deployed to Iraq - had arrived home safely.

According to three GOP sources present at the closed meeting of the House Republican Conference, the Arizona senator said that when his son first arrived in the country, he reported seeing IEDs everywhere - but when he recently left, some seven months later, Iraq had become so safe he was handing out soccer balls.

According to the sources present, the congressmen greeted the news with standing ovations.

Programming note: Watch Larry King’s exclusive interview with GOP front-runner John McCain tonight on Larry King Live at 9 P.M. Eastern.

–CNN's Dana Bash and Deirdre Walsh

Filed under: Iraq • John McCain
  1. Nathan

""I'm curious to know what McCain's son was doing while in Iraq. I'm willing to bet that the son of a presidential candidate wasn't exactly patrolling the front lines."

I love this, one day the liberals are complaining that Jenna and Barbara aren't serving in Iraq. Now a candidates son serves in combat and they diminish it too. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Typical.

February 14, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  2. Dave in Houston

I'm happy for you Sen. McCain. It's a blessing when someone arrives home safely from a dangerous voyage.

Did you take the time to think about the 3,960 families who haven't received the same blessing? Any guilt about your hand in contributing to the deaths of their loved ones?

February 14, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  3. Darth Vadik, CA

Yes he came home today, tomorow he will endorse Obama.

February 14, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  4. AJ, IL

Good day for McCain. Sons coming home from a war that should not have been started, and Mitt Romney endorsing him. Republicans, McCain will lose in the general election. He is pro-military force and one-dimensional (not to mention an old guy). Yes McCain's mother is aging well but his father died at 70.

Iraq has a lull in the violence due to local warlords waiting to see what power they can grab based on the US negotiating with terrorists...oops i mean insurgents. The violence in Iraq will pick back up sometime this early summer. Pakistan will be on the verge of more political unrest once the so-called "elections" all over. Russia is threatening the Ukraine (and possibly other European nations) because of the US plans to put missile "defense" systems there.

February 14, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  5. Geri

I"m a democrat and I cannot believe how nasty you people are about McCains son returning. I actually thought it was only Obama supportes that were so nasty. I would like to welcome him home and pray to God that the rest come home soon. George W has a lot to carry on his shoulders for this war and I sincerely hope it haunts him till the day he dies.

February 14, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  6. Ray Fisher, Albuquerque, NM

Having spent yesterday evening with one of our HEROES who is temporarily home from Iraq, I can say, this war is taking a heavy toll on those who serve. May the lord continue to bless Senator McCain and his family as he has by returning his son safely. I merely pray the Lord has time to repeat his blessing on the troops and families of all concerned. Our troops deserve our respect, gratitude and understanding as they deal with all aspects of serving our nation. Freedom, has its costs and sometimes the costs are very high!!!

February 14, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  7. Proud Marine Dad

You idiots, No one is being forced to go to Iraq or join the military. My son went because he, like his dad served in Vietnam, loves this country more than self. WE will not surrender our country to the likes of Obama or Clinton. Also, don't spin McCain's words as to l00 yrs.
    As others have said, we are still in Germany, Korea and Japan., and we will be in the Middle East as long Freedom loving people want us there.

February 14, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  8. Republican For Hillary

Dems for McCain, why don't you just join the republican party and become "republicans for McCain?"

Why bother to blog as "Dems for McCain?" Actually, I don't believe you are now or that you ever were a Democrat.

As you can see, I am calling myself "Republican for Hillary," but I never was a Republican and I am not for Hillary, either.

February 14, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  9. John in SF

You have no credibility anymore. You voted for torture yesterday. How I am supposed to believe something your son says? You exploit his service, flip-flop on torture, flip-flop on immigration, flip-flop on taxes and support 100, 1,000 or maybe even 10,000 years of war.

You were a bad senator for me when I was growing up, but at least you had integrity. Now, you have no integrity. You're worse than Romney. Hypocrite.

February 14, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  10. R Edwards

THIS COUNTRY IS BLESSED WITH IGNORANT PEOPLE WHO BELIEVE EVERYTHING THAT IS PUT OUT BY THE LUBERAL MEDIA WHO HAS AND IS MOLDING THE MINDS OF OUR YOUNG PEOPLE. IF THIS CONTINUES AND PEOPLE DON'T LEARN TO THINK FOR THEMSELVES WE ARE ALL GOING TO BE IN TROUBLE. I AM A HUCKABEE SUPPORTER BUT I'LL VOTE FOR MCCAIN IF HE IS THE REPUBLICAN NOMINEE AND IT LOOKS LIKE HE WILL BE. I JUST HOPE THAT WE DON'T ELECT OBAMA BECAUSE WE DON'T NEED A NOTHER NATIONAL HOLIDAY AND IF IT'T OBAMA THAT'S WHAT WE'LL HAVE. BECAUSE HE WON'T LAST. NUFF SAID.

February 14, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  11. kathe oakland, california

Oh Boy!!!! I guess McCain is taking the "symphany" play from Hillary with his boy coming home now. I mean do not get me wrong, I am happy when any American who has family in this awful war, comes home in one piece.
    So I guess McCain will "use" his son to make us believe the war is real, surge working, etc., etc.etc. Don't forget there are many many sons, daughters, wives and husbands over there and they have a story also – much different I am sure than the McCains but then..........it is election time and what better time to bring the war hero's son home. How long was he there and did rest of his troop come home too – or just McCain son.

February 14, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  12. Nate Sacramento Ca

You Republicans pretend to respect military service but %90 of you would spit in John Kerry's face if you could.

February 14, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |