February 14th, 2008

Romney to endorse McCain

ALT TEXT

Mitt Romney plans to endorse John McCain Thursday. (Photo Credit: AP)

(CNN) - Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney is expected to endorse U.S. Sen. John McCain of Arizona, who was Romney's rival in the Republican race for the White House, two sources familiar with the decision told CNN Thursday.

They said Romney wants the 286 delegates he won to go to McCain, who now has 827 delegates, and is the Republican front-runner.

To clinch the Republican nomination 1,191 are needed.

An announcement is expected at 3:30 p.m. ET in Boston.

Romney dropped out of the race Feb. 7, after a poor showing on Super Tuesday. He said he pulled the plug on his Republican presidential campaign "for our party and for our country."

Continuing his campaign would have delayed the Republicans from shifting attention to the general election campaign against whichever Democrat wins the nomination of their party, he said at the time.

Programming note: Watch Larry King’s exclusive interview with GOP front-runner John McCain tonight on Larry King Live at 9 P.M. Eastern.

– CNN's Dana Bash contributed to this report

Filed under: John McCain • Mitt Romney
  1. Earl, Chicago

You libs are ridiculous. This endorsement means McCain, who will be the nominee anyway, gets his delegates. This just expedites the nomination process.

Who else should he endorse? Obama?

February 14, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  2. Obamacan

No more party favors here. I will not vote for Pary vs my country. Did it for 8 years...no more...Republican are starting to look and sound dumb....This just turned me to an Obamacan!!!!

February 14, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  3. Steve in Charlotte

Great. now McCain just has to pick a guy (or gal if he thinks the "true conservatives" can stomach it) to lose with in November!!

FYI: Nobody wants to "surrender" to "terror". What the hell does that mean anyway?

February 14, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  4. wow!

is this what you want in the white house? a tired and yawning president? doesn´t it remind you of bush father looking at his watch at the debate wit Mr. Clinton?

Presidential material? not in a million years.....wake up voters of the U.S.

February 14, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  5. Tony

I am a Indepent, I support John McCain and when you start to look at Obam's Record( Oh Where is it ). If you really study the people you are voting for you might vote differently... Also, wait untel Hill or Barack get the Nomination they hate each other, but they will be a team... So, I salute Mitt Romney and if John McCain loses this year which I Pray for the USA that he don't Romney will be on top in 2012 if we are still here when those self serving, tax increasing, white flag waving, late term abortion lovers, and they hate the death penalty but support killing babies... GO FIGURE

February 14, 2008 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  6. Tony

Time For Huckaboom to say bye bye

February 14, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  7. Hillphil

I as a Republican I must vote OBAMA in November
    Can't stand McCain and now Romney after this.

February 14, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  8. Ann

It's about time! McCain is the best candidate for this job! He will bring America to the right spot! Romney has made a right decision (finally)! McCain is our only chance to beat the Democrats...don't waste your vote....

McCain 2008!

February 14, 2008 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  9. john

Who cares Willard Mitt Romney endorses mccain??

I wished mr corporation would have spent all 250 million he is worth on his campaign and would be broke.

February 14, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  10. Lamont

One thing Republicans are good at doing is banning together in time for the general election. Democrats, you have been warned.

February 14, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  11. James, Houston

Hiho Sir, Hasta la Vista ! The Mormons are acting like Mid-Wives in lieu of Multiple choices, like in partners!

February 14, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  12. Tom,des moines

My first choice for the next president of the United States of America is Hillary, McCainne is my second choice and lastly Barack Husseine Obama.Why? Because Obama have the least experience to be the next prisedent, and that is what we don't need rightnow.Maybe if he stay in the senate for another 8 or 12 more yrs then I would have reconsider him.

February 14, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  13. Fred

So typical of politicians – I'll promise the voters anything to get elected and when they reject me, I'll show my true colors.

Thank God there is still one statesman running instead of all these lying politicians. GO RON PAUL. By the way, to all you Romney delegates out there if you want to cast your ballot for a true conservative who believes in the Constitution, come over to our side. Dr. Paul is in the race all the way!

February 14, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  14. CW

As a lifetime Libertarian, I had to change to Republican to vote for Paul in the primaries. Since he is being completely ignored, & there is a snow ball in hell chance he will get the nomination, there is no way in hell I can vote for McCain. And there is an even bigger NO CHANCE IN HELL that I will vote for the 2 Socialists trying to outspend each other on bogus, unconstitutional schemes, so who the F can I vote for? The Constitutionalist party?

February 14, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  15. james

Hurry up and end this stupid Republican race it's pointless now, I don't see why anyone is making a big deal over it anymore. The Democratic race is much more interesting and dynamic, not built on phony endorsements. Sooner the Repubs finish primaries the sooner the media will leave them in the dark while Dems take the spot light for 4 more months. McCainiacs beware building a boring campaign based on useless endorsements and a very unenthusiatic candidate will be the biggest turn off of all. McCains strong Bush connections will seal the deal and put Republicans back in the dark ages.

February 14, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  16. Keeping it real

Who cares!

February 14, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  17. Tom Florida

I would like to encourage all the Romney delegates to go with Huckabee. That would put him back in the realm of possibility for winning the nomination. How ’bout it Romney Delegates? Mike and Mitt are much more alike than Mitt and John. I think a Mike/Mitt ticket could beat a Clinton or Obama ticket. McCain is not likely to win because he is too close to being a dem himself. McCain won’t get my vote. If Obama or Clinton win, at least we know up front where they stand on the issues. It is easier to fight a target that you can easily identify than someone who misrepresents himself (like McCain). But I would vote for a Huckabee/Romney ticket and I think many others would also. Romney delegates can make it happen!

February 14, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  18. Christopher Bovee

I can't believe that the Republicans can keep a straight face through all this. No matter which Republican candidate wins, we're just going to get round 3 (or is it 4?) of the same old warmongering Republican non-sense that even regular voting Republicans are fed up with. The June 22, 2005 Poll showed more than 50% of Americans opposed the war, and polls in 2006, 2007 and now in 2008 are showing between 60-70% opposition to the war. Beyond that, we're all living in 2008 and they are still trying to discriminate against Gays and Latinos. What's going on here?!

February 14, 2008 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  19. No answers

The Republican party are likened to lemmings. They will blindly follow anyone and anything despite the consequences. God forbid the devil himself was running. But like lemmings who follow each other into the sea to drown, so will the Republicans if they rally around John "insane" McCain.

February 14, 2008 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  20. John in Columbus, OH

McCain and the Mormons in collusion. Trying to leave the Evangelical Protestants out in the cold. Shame. The Party is dead.

February 14, 2008 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  21. Samantha

Oh Huckabee don't you know that republicans are like scorned dogs, they never forget a slap on the head. As long as Huckabee continues to campaign against McCain and split the Republican vote the better chances a democrat has of winning in November. If Huckabee plans on a future run at the presidency he is screwed because those same scorned republicans will blame him for McCain’s loss this November.

February 14, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  22. puddytat

((( (LAMONT ))))) – BAND TOGETHER BEHIND MCCAIN ????
    He calls flip flopping " REACHING ACROSS PARTY LINES". HIS FIRST WIFE WOULD CALL IT ADULTRY ! !

February 14, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |