February 15th, 2008

McCain's Romney endorsement doesn’t faze Huckabee

Huckabee: McCain ‘hasn’t won yet’
Huckabee: McCain ‘hasn’t won yet’

GREEN BAY, Wisconsin (CNN) – If Mitt Romney’s endorsement of John McCain did anything to dampen Mike Huckabee’s desire to stay in this race, it didn’t show.

“I think still the Republican Party ought to be big enough to have the debate, the discussion and an election. I’m not just willing to be part of the coronation yet,” Huckabee told CNN Thursday. “If we have a battle and [McCain] wins, he wins. But he hasn’t won yet so I just think it’s a little bit premature to go ahead and slice the cake when you haven’t had the wedding yet.”

Huckabee described McCain’s growing support as “a ‘me too’ herd mentality.” “There's a lot of folks in the establishment of the party now not wanting to be left out,” he told reporters.

“But what I'm concerned about is that there are a whole lot of people out here in middle America who are feeling left out. They're feeling their votes aren't even going to be counted.”

Huckabee repeatedly points out that Republicans will have to win the states he’s won to keep the White House. He then ticks off the big states McCain has won primaries in that are typically Democratic strongholds in the general election.

By the time Wisconsin holds its primary on Tuesday, Huckabee will have spent six days campaigning in the state. In just the first two days he has become an unabashed panderer, regaling crowds with a story (sort of) about singing the national anthem at Lambeau Field and promising them he’ll put on a famed Cheesehead if they carry him to victory.

At his second to last stop of the day, a local television reporter asked if the difference between a victory or a loss on Tuesday were to hinge on putting on a Green Bay Packer tie, would he do it? “Absolutely,” grinned Huckabee, taking the tie from the reporter and tossing the green one he’d been wearing all day to wife Janet. He then successfully tied on the new tie without a mirror in front laughing reporters and a bank of cameras.

Seconds after Huckabee left the room, an aide rushed back in to return the reporter’s tie, a gift from his grandparents.

– CNN Political Producer Alexander Marquardt

Filed under: John McCain • Mike Huckabee
  1. That's Reality

Charles D. Brown – Honesty and Integrity is why Huckabee is the candidate to vote for. He has Jesus in his heart and I'm sure he wouldn't try to shove Jesus down your throat because Huckabee know's that is not the way one receives Him.

Reality – Huckabee had a great record as Governor and would still be governor if he wanted to be. "Christian Leader" and "against abortion" are two excellent reasons to vote for him; you just happen to disagree and run with your own "herd". So be it. Just shows this country will continue to be divided regardless of what any candidate thinks. That's reality.

February 15, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  2. Fred

How about the other story
    "Mc Cain's Romney endorsement doesn't phase Paul" (either)

I did like the one reply, Huckabee drops, McCain drops and Ron Paul is the nominee! There is STILL Hope for America!

With their money problems, they could be finished. Ron Paul has the cash to keep going.

February 15, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  3. Joyce Todd

I love Huckabee and what I believe he stands for... a better America. He has more determination and grit than anyone I've seen on the political stage in my lifetime. I know nothing about Arkansas or his record as the Governor of Arkansas but if he was so bad, why was he re-elected over and over.? I simply believe that some people can't stand the word "religion" nor its principles..and would you believe, I am not even a "church goer".? He has the Kennedy-like charisma..like it or not Ron and Nancy and just maybe he is setting the stage for a political career in Washington.. So..what is so bad about that? Is that not what politics is all about? Get over it !!!! In all probability, he will not win this election but mind you... Huckabee is not "out of here." He will return and I will continue to donate to his campaign and yes...vote for him.

February 15, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  4. Lawrence Walker

Huckabee muddies the water? Huckabee should drop out? Isn't that what democracy is about? To have a variety of perspectives? To be in competition with each other? Competing interests, that's the essence of a healthy democracy. The problem is that those competing interests need to all be in the best interests of all people, not just a few. I am a liberal, and I like Huckabee. I feel Huckabee is more of a populist than McCain, a former maverick who is now Mr. Business as Usual. I feel Huckabee would represent the people over the special interests of the military-industrial complex. McCain has turned into a defender of permanent war. Huckabee seems to be more virtuous than that, though bringing the bible or any religious document or doctrine into government is never a good idea.

February 15, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  5. David - Buffalo, NY

I don't like Huckabee that much – his positions on certain topics actually scare me.

But I have to admit – I do admire his resolve.

It is NOT currently mathematically impossible for him to win the nomination. Mathematically implausible – yeah. Impossible – no...

He has the choice to stay in as long as he wants, and as long as the funds hold out. He has chosen to make a contest of it until the winner actually *wins* – instead of ceding the victory to the winner projected by the media. That is a reasonable choice.

I predict that as soon as McCain officially hits the 1,191 number; then, and only then, will Huckabee concede defeat. If he stays in the race after that point – yeah – he's being egotistical. But up to that point – he's just playing the hand he was dealt – hoping to win the pot with a pair of twos.

February 15, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  6. theonethatknows

Mike Huckabee is the (Real Deal).. This country needs a man like this(Now) more than ever . The intelligent people will vote for Mike, reguardless of which way the political winds blow!! He is the only one with the moral fortitude to get this country headed in the correct direction..Mike's master is above all of us!! (Believe it or not!) ..Keep going Mike–It's not over until the last vote is cast in November..And to be certain our master is all about miracles.

February 15, 2008 11:49 am at 11:49 am |
  7. Rich

The more I see Mike Huckabee's relentless determination to give voting Americans a choice the more impressed I am with the man.

I like to see an under dog try as hard as he can to make a seemingly impossible come from behind win, even if he looses the effort is inspiring.

One would think a Vietnam vet would appreciate Americans excersizing their freedom of choice in picking their nations potential leader.

Go for it, this is what this country is really all about.

February 15, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |