February 15th, 2008

Olympic dream teamers weigh in on Democratic 'dream ticket'

Charles Barkley and Magic Johnson talked politics with CNN's Wolf Blitzer.
Charles Barkley and Magic Johnson talked politics with CNN's Wolf Blitzer.

(CNN) – In interviews with CNN’s Wolf Blitzer, 1992 U.S. Olympic “Dream team” members Magic Johnson and Charles Barkley played political pundits and addressed the much-talked-about possibility of the a Democratic “dream ticket” involving rivals Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama.

“My dream team would be Obama-Clinton, not Clinton-Obama,” explained Charles Barkley who is also an analyst for TNT.

“I want Barack to be president. …I just think we need a new face, we need a new leader,” Barkley added.

“I hope really that both of them end up on the same ticket,” said Clinton supporter Magic Johnson in a separate interview with Blitzer.

“I would really love seeing that and I think a lot of other people would love seeing that as well,” he added.

Although Johnson said he would support Obama if the first-term senator won the Democratic nomination, the NBA legend likened a ticket with Clinton as the presidential nominee and Obama as the vice presidential nominee to “Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, and Magic all playing together on the dream team.”

Barkley likewise told Blitzer that he would support Clinton if she were the Democratic nominee and that if Obama became vice president “that’s good.”

Related video: Magic Johnson on Clinton

–CNN Associate Producer Martina Stewart

1. Obama 08

I'm a Barack Obama supporter, but I have to admit I'm perplexed by this matter. Because Obama purports to be running on a platform that cannot supposedly compete with Clinton's and Edwards, he has staked the claim of having good judgment (esp. in relations to Clinton voting for the Iraq war). Now Obama claims he made "a bone-headed mistake" when asked about his dealings with Rezko. How can he make both the claim of having good judgment, which separates him from Clinton, and at the same time admit to having bad judgment in buying his home? Politics as usual?

February 15, 2008 10:47 pm at 10:47 pm |
  2. Sara

I think what Charles B. said was awesome. HE spoke the truth and everyone knows it, he was brave enough to say these things and stand by them!

February 15, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  3. Steve TX

Barkley for Obama-Clinton...that puts me for McCain!!! Sorry Chuck!!

February 15, 2008 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  4. me again

I will jump on the Barak bandwagon when Tom Brady comes out for him. Go Pats

February 15, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  5. Texas

I would very much like to agree with Mr Barkely, but my conscience will not allow it. It appeared he was supporting Mr Obama strictly with the race and gender strategy, but attempting to be politically correct. This is very disappointing, as it demonstrates we are continuing to support these candidates for the wrong reasons.

Do these folks not have a clue as to how Serious this is? Folks that have money do not really care, since nothing affects them.

This Obama stuff is getting very annoying, frustrating and rides the border of discriminating against the candidates, as CNN continues to promote him and show his face constantly. Senator Clinton continues to be downplayed at Everything.

You know what? Folks are finding out Senator Clinton can roll with the punches. I am curious if Mr Obama could take it.

CNN – this is so unfair of your reporting. You have always done an excellent job.

My compliments to Mr. Lou Dobbs, as he is a vital member of your team, and an Excellent Reporter.

Senator Clinton has my support.

February 15, 2008 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  6. Dream Ticket '08

I don't typically care what any celebrity has to say about politics but they are expressing my dream:

Clinton/Obama '08 and '12

This gives Obama 8 years to learn the ins and outs of the political system so he can better effect the sweeping change he talks about. He isn't ready yet and it would be a disservice to our country to have him serve before he could be effective.

February 15, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |