February 15th, 2008

Olympic dream teamers weigh in on Democratic 'dream ticket'

Charles Barkley and Magic Johnson talked politics with CNN's Wolf Blitzer.
Charles Barkley and Magic Johnson talked politics with CNN's Wolf Blitzer.

(CNN) – In interviews with CNN’s Wolf Blitzer, 1992 U.S. Olympic “Dream team” members Magic Johnson and Charles Barkley played political pundits and addressed the much-talked-about possibility of the a Democratic “dream ticket” involving rivals Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama.

“My dream team would be Obama-Clinton, not Clinton-Obama,” explained Charles Barkley who is also an analyst for TNT.

“I want Barack to be president. …I just think we need a new face, we need a new leader,” Barkley added.

“I hope really that both of them end up on the same ticket,” said Clinton supporter Magic Johnson in a separate interview with Blitzer.

“I would really love seeing that and I think a lot of other people would love seeing that as well,” he added.

Although Johnson said he would support Obama if the first-term senator won the Democratic nomination, the NBA legend likened a ticket with Clinton as the presidential nominee and Obama as the vice presidential nominee to “Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, and Magic all playing together on the dream team.”

Barkley likewise told Blitzer that he would support Clinton if she were the Democratic nominee and that if Obama became vice president “that’s good.”

Related video: Magic Johnson on Clinton

–CNN Associate Producer Martina Stewart

1. Wallace, Sacramento, CA

Since he is black, Barkley is racist because he supports Obama huh folks? BUT
    Magic is okay because he supports Clinton right?

Stop the racial nonsense.
    Obama is appealing to ALL people in a myriad of different racial and socio-economic categories.

Obama 08!

February 15, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  2. Doc Jerome

Disappear, . . . Magic.

February 15, 2008 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  3. nadeem

Why is this news?

February 15, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  4. Gobama

These jocks attitude only goes to show that jocks should seek to round out their life experience with some mental exercises other than merely playing ball.

Obama-Clinton ticket would be a nightmare, not the American dream.

Obama needs to select as his Vice one of his females governor supporters who have real administrative experience.

ABC, Anyone But Clinton!

CLINTON HAS ZERO LEADERSHIP EXPERIENCE!
    Moreover, she and her husband would be a drag.

The Clintons should just surrender and retire.

February 15, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  5. Janann

That seems to be the sentiment in my neck of the woods, if not BARAC KO then Hillary, if not Hillary then BARACKO. But there will be no dream ticket with both of them. That would be nice but it ain't gonna happen.

February 15, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  6. Brian

Obama should have Richardson as VP. Clinton can be Secretary of State if she wants.

February 15, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  7. Braineel

I am with Barkley Obama is the Tao of Now.

February 15, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  8. David

I'm with Charles... Obama/Clinton.

He's the leader, she's the OUTSTANDING manager.

I'm glad Charles listened to my endorsement. :)

February 15, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  9. Frank, Los Angeles CA

Where is the part Barkley said all Republicans are hippocrates?

This guy just wants Obama for President because he is black. He said himself he was a republican before and now says he is an independent-democrat. It doesnt make sense.

PLEASE CNN – dont feed us garbage on celebrity endorsements. I am sick to my tummy with OPRAH, WILL.I.AM music people, AND NOW BARKLEY- CANT Obama start a different campaign – he is feeding us the same things over and over.

February 15, 2008 08:57 pm at 8:57 pm |
  10. Disclaimer

**The views of professional athletes do not represent the views of the average BARACK OBAMA supporter**

There is no way Hillary Clinton could be on the same ticket as Barack Obama. She has no morals, is a liar and has defrauded the American people in the past so that she can live a plush lifestyle. She would be lucky if he even uses her as an advisor. We don't need her type of "experience" any more

February 15, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  11. Mary

Who the hell cares what over bloated, over paid has-been professional players have to say – especially Charles Barkley – ugh! At least Magic Johnson has a social conscious. He puts his money where his mouth is, unlike Obama who puts his mouth where the money is

February 15, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  12. tony

i agree with charles......

February 15, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  13. Maggie

Yes...I think most of America would go for a Clinton-Obama ticket...not Obama-Clinton because she has the seniority and most experience. That would give him eight years to get ready to be President when her two terms are over. GO CLINTON-OBAMA!!

February 15, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  14. b.lee

Charles and Magic should stick to what they do best, the dream team that they speak of will not happen, I am sure both of them are aware that in order for a team to play well together not only must the chemistry be right, they also must have a common goal. Sen. Clinton and Bill goal is to accumulate more power and occupy the white house eight more years. Sen. Obama has a different objective in seeking the presidency, his mission is to raise the quality of life for all citizens of this country and improve American's standing around the world.

February 15, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  15. gairy

hey CNN–please–u need to stop highlighting all these negatives about hillary–PLEASE STOP–why is it that Barack is not being scrutinized–it as if CNN is an oOBAMA surrogate–it really look s bad– i had really liked ur station but i am so disappointed now–im a m seriously hurt-

February 15, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  16. Obama '08 + '12

I think these guys are onto something; the dems have awesome candidates this year and i think either one we get will be better than the selfish hogs on the other side. Party unity is something we need and a Hillary Obama ticket would be an amazing thing for America.

February 15, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  17. steve from canada

Clinton-Obama

The Clinton years were one of the best. Think about it, why not put a person in charge who has experience. After 4 years, she could step aside and let Obama run when he gets more experience.

I still can't believe America voted Bush in for 8 years. Think rationally first. Obama has vague, feel-good speeches. Speeches are no substitute for practical, common-sense, straight-talk solutions.

Clinton would definitely get my vote.

February 15, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  18. sophia

I am so SICK of celebrity endorsements and the media giving these silly endorsements any attention.

Sorry, but Johnson and Barkley are not pundits and I really don't see what makes them more credible or worth reporting then the average American voter. Before we know it, CNN will be reporting on who Paris Hilton endorses, because really all we need is another wealthy celebrity shooting their mouth off.

February 15, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  19. Mike

That Charles Barkley interview was one of the worst I have ever seen. This guy doesnt know a thing about politics and he wants to run as governor of Alabama??? Give me a break...

February 15, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  20. Khandker Ahmedul Haque

That's my team-"Obama-Hillary". New history of America.

February 15, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  21. DT, Comstock Park, MI

I care about as much for NBA basketball (or ex-NBA basketball) stars' ideas of who should be president as I care about any other celebrity/icon's –which is to say, I care nothing.

CNN, shame on you for trotting out all this garbage. It's time you actually gave the American public real reasons to look at candidates, like showing their proposed solutions to issues that are important to us, in detail, and explaining them in an unbiased manner. Stop the dog-and-pony show, and treat us like we're smart enough to make real information –we, the people, just might surprise you.

February 15, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  22. Geri

Funny how Obama people don't like a supporter of Clinton. Its ok for Kennedy, Kerry, Sharpton, Jackson, and Oprah to "endorse" him. Two to show him how to run a presidency,(if he's the winner), two to tell him what to do for the black community, and one to Have Michelle on her show at least twice a week. CNN...the official Obama News Network has already crowned him and Cafferty and Blitzer are running behind hold his robes.

February 15, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  23. BillG

I thought our current president had very limited national/international experience as a "sort-of" two term governor (not two full terms, more like 4+1 years when you take the 2000 presidential campaign into account). And my hesitancy then *in my opinion* proved in retrospect to be well founded. So how could I support either Democratic candidate? Obama, with three years as a US Senator (barely over a half term!) who was helped into office by the shennigans of Jeri Ryan's ex-husband, and Hillary Clinton, a 7 year US Senator (1 term + 1 year). Sorry being married to an ex-president / ex-governor doesn't count as actual leadership experience.

February 15, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  24. Mikey

This is truly garbage. I thought it more interesting that Sen. John Glenn supported Hillary and not one word has been said about that, but here we are talking about 2 ex-basketball players and one of them is admitingly an addicted gambler. i bet he has 20 grand on Obama! LOL!

February 15, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  25. John, NC

HILLARY gets my vote hand-down.

You self-righteous Obama-bots, chill ! Your candidate needs schooling!

HILLARY '08, YEAH!