February 15th, 2008

Sources: Former President Bush to endorse McCain

Sources: Former President Bush will endorse John McCain before the Texas primary.

(CNN) - CNN has learned that John McCain will travel to Texas, most likely next week, to accept the endorsement of former President George H. W. Bush.

The campaign is working on the scheduling with the former president's office but the goal is for an event in Texas next week, accordoing to two Republican sources familiar with the discussions.

The endorsement is part of the Republican rally around McCain nationally. But it is also aimed especially at Texas, where voters will weigh in March 4.

There is a vocal faction of social conservatives in the state who regularly sparred with President George W. Bush during his presidency and his days as governor.

The former President Bush is no favorite of these social conservatives either, but his embrace is being orchestrated as an important signal to the state's broader Republican establishment that it is important to back McCain and participate in the primary.

–CNN Chief National Correspondent John King

Filed under: George H.W. Bush • John McCain
  1. Regular Gonzalez

I think Bush would have supported whoever became the nominee. Except for Ron Paul, because, you know, limited executive power means the terrorists win.

February 15, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  2. Anonymous

Basing on comments in most of the articles on here I take it Obama's supporters have a lot of free time on their hands. Do they really think going into each thread on the board and yelling YES WE CAN or I SUPPORT OBAMA will change anyone's mind? The comments aren't as bad in this article as they are in others, but I'm betting they will be.

In all honesty the way they've acted has tipped the tables for me to not support the Democratic party at all. It's like dealing with a child trying to get what they want – if you say no they get angry and yell and keep coming back for more. Meh.

February 15, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  3. SlapStick, Florida

Wow. Huckabee may have did the right thing to stay in the race because the 8 years that the American people have had with Bush, I would not want their endorsement on a stick of gum.

February 15, 2008 12:12 pm at 12:12 pm |
  4. Tony Drakeq

I am also a veteran of the 1st Gulf War. And to commet on John McCain statement on the 100yrs in the gulf. Ever since the world trade building were knock down the American People wanted to get those involved. We have since shifted and instead of going those involved we went and got the goat. We did not have the right information when we went into that country. It was a bad move then and a bad move still. We are racking up debt faster than we know how to control it. With no end in sight. We did not win the Korean War, or Vietnam War. And we sure will not win this war. We were not then nor now ready or able to fight a HOLY WAR.... Then people have been doing this for hundreds of years and they will be doing it long after McCain is gone. The best thing we can do is to pull our troops out. And Start to rebuild at home. America need to invest in America. Because if we don't who will?????

February 15, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  5. Richard Guzinga, Hobe Sound, FL

are you people all blind? The endorsement is coming from George H. W. Bush, not George W. Bush. To have this endorsement is important as he is one of three remaining former Presidents that is still living.

February 15, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  6. Tim

I must have read a different article then you guys... I thought it was FORMER president G.H.W Bush that the article refered to.

February 15, 2008 12:15 pm at 12:15 pm |
  7. regina

two great American heros, even more reason to vote McCain. I support Hillary but if Obama is the nominee there is no way I will vote for a man with all talk and no experience.

February 15, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  8. NW soldier

I've heard some Dems complaining on here that the Reps. stole their name by calling them the Democrat party.

Well, grammatically they are correct. A person belonging to the liberal party is know as a Democrat and a person belonging to the conservative party is known as a Republican. Therefore, a party belonging to the Democrats would be known as the Democrat Party and the party belonging to the Republicans would be known as the Republican party. If it were to be called the Democratic party then it's members should be known as Democratics not Democrats. Democratic party is an adjective which describes the parties organization and because the party uses delegates and doesn't use a direct vote, it is more of a process known as a Republican process. (The difference between a true democracy and a representative process known as a republic)

So please get the English straight.

February 15, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  9. keith Franklin, Tn

So what....???? Hope Americans are smart enough to see that McCain will "kill" the econony here in the US with all the continued war talk

February 15, 2008 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  10. KJ

Folks, I think you all need to look back in history to see what President George Bush (H.W.) actually did for this country. You're judging him by what his son and his son's administration has done for the past 4 years. When I say his administration I am referring to the VP and the infamous Donald Runsfeld.
    Actually, President Bush (H.W.) did an outstanding job during his 4 years, but unfortunately had folks around him who ran a very bad campaign against then Gov. Clinton. I won't get into too many facts, but you may want to re-think what you're stating on this Blog.

February 15, 2008 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  11. Ace

Some people seem confused. McCain is being endorsed by George H.W. Bush, not the current president. Bush 41 is a more respected president.

February 15, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  12. Simon

I used to always vote Republican – until I saw Obama. Bush endorsing McCain- well, good luck John, you are going to need it. We don't need more of the same, and the country realizes that. By the way, didn't elder Bush CREATE younger Bush and endorse him as well. We all know how that turned out. I voted for a Bush 4 times in my life. No more.

For the first time in my life, I'm voting for a Democrat. Yikes. I'm scared, but after hearing Obama speak, my heart tells me it is the right thing to do. He has that special quality all great leaders have – the ability to inspire and give people hope while at the same time bringing all sorts of different people together – it is really quite amazing to behold. Although I don't agree with all his policies, I haven't ever seen someone quite like him. Although my father tells me Obama reminds him of Bobby Kennedy.

February 15, 2008 12:23 pm at 12:23 pm |
  13. Justin

I hope everyone realizes that it is President George H.W. Bush, and not President George W. Bush. This was the Bush that increased taxes, an increased that allowed President Clinton not to raise taxes. Also, it was this tax raise that allowed us to carry a surplus in the late 1990's. His economic plan was sound, leaving Clinton with a good fiscal government. It was the newest Bush who cut taxes during a recession and started a war. That is not very fiscally sound.

Who are you people who think this is the same President Bush we have now? I'm sorry if this George H.W. Bush's Iraq War ended with a functioning government. The father is not the son, and his legacy should not be tainted as such.

February 15, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  14. jim Scottsdale AZ

I am a republican voting for Obama. The good old boy network needs to go away, that includes both of the Clintons

February 15, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  15. Tom Hilton

That'll really bring in the youth vote.

February 15, 2008 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  16. Arthur Whipple

Texas is an important state in the general election. Of course McKain needs to build strong support in that state. He will make a serious run at the Mexican American vote once the general election begins. Please understand that people commonly refered to as Latinos are more diverse than that name truely captures. In Texas as in my home state of Arizona we refer to ourselves as Mexican Americans or Chicanos. Thank you.

February 15, 2008 12:45 pm at 12:45 pm |
  17. Torianto

This is good news for the Democrats. I am looking forward to the democratic presidential candidate, mopping the floor with Senator McCain!

February 15, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  18. Mark G., BBH, ME

Down with Bush/Clinton dictatorship

First Dr. Ron Paul should be president, but since he is more easily controlled, Obama is the guy.

February 15, 2008 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  19. texan

If it were Jr`s endorsement, it would be the "kiss of death".

February 15, 2008 12:54 pm at 12:54 pm |
  20. jackson

This is amusing in that so many conservatives blame the first coming of The President Clinton machine on George HW Bush's failures. Now, as McCain tries to unite the party and bring those conservatives back into the fold, he gets the blessing of the poster child for conservative scapegoating.

February 15, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  21. Gnomepark

Who else was he gonna endorse this late...Popeye?

February 15, 2008 01:05 pm at 1:05 pm |
  22. Julie Mullin

I like McCain. I watched him on Larry King last night and I appreciate the fact that Larry King highlighted 2 areas where McCain's positions have been misquoted and taken out of context. The supposed 100 years in Iraq and his position on tax cuts.

There was one thing that caught my attention though, the new catch phrase describing terrorist activity as the "transcendent threat of the 21st century". Based on the string of recent and recurring college, high school and city hall shootings, the United States has a healthy crop of home grown terrorists and perhaps it should address domestic gun control laws. This seems a more pressing and transcendent social illness than any foreign boogeyman may pose.

February 15, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  23. Chris

It doesn't matter who endorses whom. Look at their issues and base you vote on that! I challenge everyone to really look at that before they cast a vote. Don't stick with party lines, go to the person that best represents what you think!

And as some people have been misleading with statements about Irag and the economy: Iraq has improved greatly since the troop surge and I dare you to prove otherwise. The economy is not in a recession, you actually need a decrease rather than a growth to claim it as that. Unemployment is still at an all time low and the economy has has not stop growth for the past 6 years. Also, the defecit has decreased and continues to go down. If you want to control it more, get the Democrates to cut out the pork!

February 15, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  24. Alice

I'm tired of all these "big-wigs" endorsing McCain and basically trying to get me to jump on the McCain BANDWAGON. I'm educated enough to think for myself, thank you. I've been a Huckabee supporter since DAY ONE, and will continue to be when I FINALLY get my chance to vote next month in Texas. I'm getting tired of this McCain CORONATION, last time I checked this was the USA not ENGLAND!!!

February 15, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  25. beetha

Duhhhhhhh... like we didn't think this is the move Sr. would make? To perpetuate, perpetuate, perpetuate... Time for a change boys. And for the right one.

February 15, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |