February 19th, 2008

After Wisc. win, Obama urges Texans to 'fight for every delegate'

HOUSTON, Texas (CNN) – Fresh on the heels of his win in Wisconsin–and after thanking the people of the Badger State for "their extraordinary civic pride"–Obama told an audience in Houston, Texas, that the change America seeks is "still months and miles away."

"We will need you to fight for every delegate it takes to win this nomination," the Illinois senator said to crowd of over 18,000 at the Toyota Center.

"And if we win the nomination, if we are blessed and honored to win the nomination, then we're going to need your help to win the election in November."

The battleground that is the race for the Democratic nomination has recently turned into a fierce back and forth over the role of both pledged delegates and super-delegates.

A story appearing on the political website Politico.com Tuesday alleged that a source in the Clinton campaign revealed that part of their strategy is to whittle away Obama's slight lead in pledged delegates by pulling them into Clinton's corner. It's an allegation the Clinton campaign flatly denied.

Speaking of the New York senator, both her campaign and Obama's confirmed Clinton phoned Obama to congratulate him on the Tuesday win. A spokeswoman for Obama said the call came shortly after the Illinois senator left the stage.

In what could be called his victory rally– even though it wasn't billed as one–Obama also urged the voters of Texas to participate starting as early as "today," because in the Lone Star State, early voting for the March 4 election opens up on February 19.

"If you didn’t vote today you can start tomorrow or the next day or the day after that," he said.

Obama then moved into a few modified lines from his stump speech of late, telling the crowd it will take "more than big rallies," "rousing speeches," and "policy papers" to bring about change. Instead, he said it will require "something more."

"The problem that we face in America today is not the lack of good ideas. Its that Washington has become a place where good ideas go to die."

-CNN Political Producer Chris Welch

1. Sashi Rao

I keep hearing about THE CHANGE. What exactly is the change Obama is talking about? Can anybody answer me that? I do not see anything Concrete in his rhetoric.

February 20, 2008 01:59 am at 1:59 am |
  2. glavela

Sad to admit, but i know for a fact that I, my entire family and my circle of friends will not vote for Obama if he gets the nomination. I am a democrat but I am not blind. I see his empty rhetoric, his borrowed speeches, his inexperience, his lack of accomplishments, his angry wife, his plagarism of proposal (not only words), his hypocracy. I see what many are ignoring or forgiving or excusing. I see how we are lowering the bar for this so call "greastest black hope" to make him the first affirmative action president.
    I will not do it.
    Having said that……this ain't over yet. Let the fat lady sing!!

February 20, 2008 01:59 am at 1:59 am |
  3. rusty

Texas, and Ohio, and Pennsylvania, it comes down to you now, after the voters in Wisconsin did a great job of laying the groundwork for you. It is now at your fingertips, to make history. Vote Obama, and send the Clinton's home !

February 20, 2008 02:01 am at 2:01 am |
  4. Jimmy

I sure am sorry. For the first time in over twenty years I am going to have to vote Republican. I just can not believe that the right wing won. I take atleast ten votes with me. Lokks like my family will campaign and vote Senator John McCain for President. I just do not know or trust at this point Barack Obama. I am a strong Democrat second only to our great nation. Obama is not the man. There will be alot of the white men democrats switch to McCain as soon as we are in the General Election.

I am a Democrat forced to vote Republican due to the lack of open ness. Obama only speaks of his movement and promises with no I say no substance. A few present votes to not hurt his polictical future. Senator McCain you will have my vote.

February 20, 2008 02:03 am at 2:03 am |
  5. Pablo Cruz

It is clear that Obama's time has come and he is the people's choice to lead America forward.

History will remember the Clintons far more favourably if they were to show grace in bowing to the inevitable and stand aside in favour of this gifted man, in order that he can focus on uniting America rather than be sidetracked by the need to deal with the futile aspirations of yet another pol from the last century who cannot distinguish between their personal greed and the good of the nation.

Hillary dear, face the reality and stand aside while people still regard you as a joke rather than something worse.

February 20, 2008 02:05 am at 2:05 am |
  6. kelvin

clinton it is game over obama it is you time

February 20, 2008 02:08 am at 2:08 am |
  7. Ed

I think it is disrespectful and very sad that a former first Lady of the free world couldn't even acknowledge her follow democrat's accomplishments tonight in the Wisconson primaries. It just shows me that the Clintons still have that grandeur attitude that nothing is above Clintons even in defeat. Just the fact that she has to call privately and address her opponent's wins, as if they didn't happen or how the American people, whom she says she cares so much for, how we vote doesn't matter. She didn't even acknowledge those who voted for her. I guess they didn't convince enough people. Barack Obama is showing america that he is a better manager than Hillary Clinton. Just look at how organized his campaign is compared to Hillary Clinton's. How then can she run against John McCain when she doesn't have the organization or substace the Obama campaign have. Oh I forgot she can use smear tactics and attack ads. White House here we come.

February 20, 2008 02:09 am at 2:09 am |
  8. Curstin Roten

I am totally disgusted that your programming has spent so much time focusing on Hillary and Bill and their mistakes but Obama and his wife (and her unforgivable comments) are ignored. What has happened to equal time for candidates and why does the political experts (as dubbed by CNN) spend much more time on Obama and him being ahead and how Hillary is behind and has already lost steam to this person. I think if the media spent more time listening to Obama's speech's and pick him to pieces as you do Hillary perhaps she might have a chance herself. Picking a candidate is hard enough for those of us who are educated and know about the process but those who don't are subjected to biased programming.

February 20, 2008 02:11 am at 2:11 am |
  9. Gbenga Kayode

You know what ? what ever you people do i am not suprised the Bible already predicted the fall of the American empire . YOu are walking towards it with Obama It will be a gladening news for China and i think it time the world turns towards China America is already a failure with Obama. I am indeed sorry for America . With Obama you are finally going down !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mark my words
    CNN you have failed the more ,you have not been fair for one day with Clinton . You will reap what you have sown

February 20, 2008 02:21 am at 2:21 am |
  10. Laurell W

Hey guys, We Repulicans in Wa state are going to swing to Obama the way things are looking. Goodbye Hillary, sweet dreams. Thanks, Laurell

February 20, 2008 02:24 am at 2:24 am |
  11. Chikaodi

Go Obama Go, You have succeeded in lifting the spirit,faith and believe of most Americans and your follower around the world, we now know that all hope is not lost no matter what Mr Bill does or says to discredit your believe of a united and prousperous America and the world.

Ride on brother, you've won already in the eye of many.

February 20, 2008 02:37 am at 2:37 am |
  12. Alexa

People shouldn't vote yet till the next debate is over with this coming Thursday. It'll give Hillary time to redeem herself. The last debate was a while ago, right before Super Tuesday. We could have had another one a few days ago, but Obama, from what I heared declined a debate with Clinton in WI. I really hope people listen to Hillary's message. It's time to be realistic and not just hear pretty words.

Go Hillary!

February 20, 2008 02:44 am at 2:44 am |
  13. Teresa Wallace

He is an inspiration to young and older americans.

February 20, 2008 02:49 am at 2:49 am |
  14. uremeh ikechukwu

obama has shown tenacity,maturity and unbelievable understanding of the American political terrain. He has shown,from his actions and recent accomplishments, the meaning of hope and change that has not only inspired me as an individual but also the 'certified' hopeless and helpless homeless people in America. Yes with hope we can. Mr Obama, it is my pleasure.

February 20, 2008 02:54 am at 2:54 am |
  15. True Blue 08

This is something both hilarious but also scary- look at Youtube for the interview btwn Chris Matthews and Kirk Watson from Texas. Watson is a big Obama supporter. When Matthews asked him to name ONE accomplishment for Mr. Obama- Mr Watson literally stuttered and mumbled and SAID NOTHING!!! What is going on here? Seriously- why are people being taken by Mr. Obama so easily?!

February 20, 2008 03:10 am at 3:10 am |
  16. Ennis, LA

Washington is where good ideas die of inertia and bad ones
    flourish.

February 20, 2008 03:20 am at 3:20 am |
  17. Wayne

this country loves barack obama. He will bring the positive change we need. If you heard his speech u wll know he has substance

February 20, 2008 03:28 am at 3:28 am |
  18. D. Dunn

Senator Obama is right, it will take more than large crowd and rousing speeches to make changes. The people will have to vote for the best candidate and that candidate and his or her administration will have to have the backbone to stand up against the lobbyist and special interest in Washington D.C. For a long time politician have corrupted themselves by getting in bed with these groups and acted contrary to the interest of the citizens/residents so as to full their own bank accounts. Next thing is, that the politicians need to focus on issues and not petty matters such as plagiarism of speeches. Please be presidential in character and show the world that you candidates are worthy to lead. Finally, the media should stop giving credence to nonsense. Both Senators Clinton and Obama are intelligent people please tell your campaign staffs to behave intelligent also. Their actions reflect negatively on the both of you. Remember, "Birds of a feather flock together." Senator Clinton get with positive campaigning.

February 20, 2008 03:29 am at 3:29 am |
  19. faboo

Wait...why is this entry after Clinton's entry, when Obama's speech came after Clinton's speech?

What I'm asking, is why did you bump Clinton's speech up over this?

February 20, 2008 03:31 am at 3:31 am |
  20. Jared R, Iraq

Texans,

You owe us some help this time around. By us I mean Americans that dont want another emperor. Clinton is a socialist version of Bush and Mccain is a continuation of Bush (he is a war hero though). Lets get a guy in office that will bring the country together to solve its problems, not divide and profit. Vote for Obama Texas. Texas is one of those states like California and Florida that is basically a country all its own. Maintain that strength and independence and be the deciding voice of this primary season. Crush the socialist, texas. Crush her in place. I know Texas is a place that supports the troops. and we all appreciate it. We really do. Thank you so much.

Jared

February 20, 2008 03:34 am at 3:34 am |
  21. David from CA

It's time Hillary faces reality. She is done. She was done on Super Tuesday, she was done last week and she is done now.

Go out like a winner Hillary. Save yourself and the Nation from what's to come. We do love you, but your'e old school. Sorry babe.

February 20, 2008 03:58 am at 3:58 am |
  22. Erik

Senator Obama has outlined specific platform ideas and proposals in recent speeches, but needs to clearly state he's doing so to counter the empty accusations that he's not "specific" enough. The spin machines of both opposing camps will continue to make the claim that he's lacking in details until he calls them out on it, and too many of the American people are sadly willing to believe a ten-second accusation rather than a detailed summary of substance.

February 20, 2008 03:59 am at 3:59 am |
  23. John

Barack Obama Has Great Momentum, He is a Trailblazer in the
    Political Arena with a vengeance for Change. I think the American
    people are hungry for that change, and they are supporting Barack Obama with Excitement, and Enthusiasm.

His Main Objective is to unify all Races, Whites, Blacks, Latinos, Asians, Proteston, & Catholic, as Government for and By the People To move our Country Forward. I believe we have a terrible problem in America: Possibility of Depression, Sub-Prime homes resulting in Thousands of Foreclosures, High Gasoline Cost, Increased rates in the Retail Sector, as well as the Food Industry, many US Families unable to afford Major Medical Health Insurance, Threatening possibilities of Terrorism, A Broken system in reference to the borders of Mexico & Canada. The Economy heading South, Billions of Dollars sent to Iraq to Fund a War that I believe should have never started. Unemployment is up, and Income is down due to increases on all fronts, Our Dependence of Foreign Oil by the Republican Party, when we can develop our own Natural Resources. I believe Barack Obama is capable of putting this nation on the right track. I believe he has the Intelligence and the know how to make it happen for this Country. The Clintons and many Other Presidential Candidates have been Washingtonized, and I think we need someone that is honest, intelligent, and is able to make a serious difference for the American People. I really believe he is positioned to be nominated for President of the United States of America, and he will beat the pants off of John McCain for Vicitory.

February 20, 2008 03:59 am at 3:59 am |
  24. Tony

Hillary is arrogantly dismissing the 10 in a row states that she lost. What is even more arrogant is to claim that now she would win big in Texas. Hillary, you can not trick Texas so quickly.

February 20, 2008 04:24 am at 4:24 am |