February 19th, 2008

Clinton ad: 'She's worked the night shift, too.'

Clinton’s Ohio ad is aimed at blue-collar voters.
Clinton’s Ohio ad is aimed at blue-collar voters.

(CNN) – Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign is reaching out to blue-collar voters with a new ad that says she can empathize with the travails of the night shift.

“You pour coffee, fix hair, you work the night shift at the local hospital,” says the announcer in the 30-second spot, ‘Night Shift,’ over footage of workers on the job.

“You're often overworked, underpaid, and sometimes overlooked. But not by everyone. One candidate has put forth an American family agenda to make things easier for everyone who works so hard. ….”

The ad ends with a photo of Clinton working at her desk at night. “She understands. She's worked the night shift, too.”

Clinton’s campaign has noted a strong showing in Ohio’s March 4 primary is critical to her bid for the Democratic presidential nomination.

So has Clinton worked the night shift? Spokesman Howard Wolfson said Tuesday that "the reference is to her working late at night at her desk."

–CNN’s Rebecca Sinderbrand and Jessica Yellin

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Ohio
  1. mgoody

Oh my, Obama's fan club can't stand the heat. This add is great. It hits who its supposed to, hard working people, moms with young kids, people who have eldery parents, You hit a home run with this one Hillary!!!!

Hillary 08

February 19, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  2. Leslea Obamacan From Cypress

By the way, My Father was forced to retire early...you why? NAFTA caused his company to close there doors after my fathers 25 years of service... Thanks BILLARY!!! No way you can EVER have my vote.

February 19, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  3. Chicka

I worked the night shift in a textile factory to pay my way through college.

Every night.

Not just *some* nights, with a staff to fetch coffee and a sustaining bagel. I betcha she didn't have to step into the shower and watch a ring of lint develop around the tub. Or coughed up same stuff.

But hey, it's what I had to do to get ahead. I'm sure she feels the same way about this election.

February 19, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  4. Carmen

Hey people, lay off of Hillary. She's getting better. At least she's not going negative and alienating much of the Democratic party. Yeah she's lying and pandering to the blue collar workers because that's who she needs next. But hey, you have to start somewhere. This ad actually gave me a laugh and that's the best thing she's done in her campaign this primary season. Let's see if this more jovial attitude will last during the upcoming debates.

February 19, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  5. Tara

*chuckle-chuckle* Working late at your desk and "working the night shift" are two very different things. The fact that her campaign doesn't get that is disconcerting at least.

I am sure he is a hard-working woman. But, if you compare that lone desk image with the images of Obama pounding pavement as a community organizer, it looks bad for her. Her campaign staff needs to open their eyes if they want to relate to us hard-working midwesterners.

February 19, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  6. carrie

She is a divider rather than a uniter. The ad speaks for itself. Who ever worked the night shift with a business suit, expensive jewelry and pearls? I worked in a factory until eventually it closed and went out of business. I wore jeans and steel toe shoes. Has anyone ever seen Hillary wearing jeans? I think not. I worked in a factory but I am not stupid.

NAFTA speaks for itself. Hillary you are scandelous!

February 19, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  7. chicagoan

I'm an Obama supporter, but it's good to see Hillary on her own message, the one she'd owned for a long time, instead of letting Wolfson and Penn blurt out divisive stuff. I don't want to dislike her.

February 19, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  8. astair

The ad is brilliant, keep that Eleanor Roosevelt for the new millenium coming Hills! Hillary in 08, you can do it girl!

February 19, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  9. Marcia

The more they bash Hillary, the more that I like her. She has my vote...and the NAFTA blabbing idiots need to read NAFTA. It was started by Bush senior...not by Hillary.

February 19, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  10. Carmen

You gotta love Hillary sometimes. Even with all the negatives, it's just funny when you step back and look at it all. For instance, when she was campaigning in California, I saw coverage of her eating a taco at some Hispanic restaurant. A taco?! I guess she was trying to show Hispanics that she's just like them too.

Hey, after this election is over, maybe Mrs. Clinton should go work for Saturday Night Live. Comedy!

February 19, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  11. SC NJJJ

I agree with Sen. Clinton. Hillary worked hard during the 1990's for this country. YOU GO GIRL!

February 19, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  12. JoeySky

She is the 'true" uniter. Looks at the number of new donors that come out in groove to donate after the Super Tuesday. When we knew that she needed help, we came forward.

I signed up with her website since she launched the campaign. They never asked me once for money, not via email or phone call. They sent me email about her policy and her campaign, but they never asked for money. Never.

But when that email came out after Super Tuesday, I realized that she need help and I stepped up my donation. I was not alone, a lot of people acted the same way. We back her 100% and want her to succeed. We want her to be our president.

The pundit is dead wrong. Hillary is not a polarized figure, she is a 'true' uniter. And I'm one of the proud supporters of Hillary's campaign.

February 19, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  13. jeff

If I have to read one more Clinton supporter's uninformed comment usually ending in some trite phrase i.e. You go girl! I'm going to puke. I think it would be great for a woman to be president, but I don't think we should elect this nepotist panderer. Please everyone, and I tell you this out of love, go and read the policies of the candidates. Go and read their histories. I won't tell you what to think, and I won't need to if you would look past the superficial political coverage.

February 19, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  14. Janel, St. Paul, MN

This ad is a pitiful attempt to wow the "working people" of America. If the responses to date are any indication, it is not working.

Try to be a little original, Clinton campaigners!

February 19, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  15. Rich

She's the hardest working of them all! Obamsa is lazy and a plagiarizer to boot! What a joke! Two years in the Senate and he wants to be president? Pay your dues, dude!

February 19, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  16. Franky

All I want to say is this is quote is pretty funny........"So has Clinton worked the night shift"? LOL!!!!!!

Hey, I'm not being critical to Hillary. I'm sure she has worked a night shift before in her daily life. You know, she probably has experienced it before. Don't worry Hillary, you're still my girl.........

February 19, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  17. Randy

Poor Hiliary. She thought that she would easily win this race. Now she is making a farce out her ads and is running scared. I worked night shift for about 15 years and definitely not an issue that I would present. I was in the Air Force during Vietnam but also not a big deal. However, I was not a prisoner of war. I will say that her campaign statement of being Commander and Chief does not set well.

February 19, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  18. Wayne Ballard, Denton, TX

TYPICAL CLINTON LIE.....SHE HAS NO IDEA WHAT WHAT WORKING NIGHT SHIFT IS ABOUT......JUST LIKE ANOTHER ADD TOUTING GETTING HEALTH CARE FOR 6 MILLION CHILDREN....WHAT A BUNCH OF CROCK.........THE SCHIP PROGRAM GOT THAT, IT WAS NONE OF HER DOING....IF YOU WANT TO KNOW IF THE CLINTONS ARE LYING, JUST WATCH THEIR LIPS, IF THEY MOVE THEY ARE LYING!!!!!!

February 19, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  19. Cathy from Vermont

I HAVE worked the night shift on my feet for minimum wage. Hillary you make light of what we do because you've sat at your cushy leather chair in your office (probably with your shoes off and a nice beverage nearby). As Bill said GIVE ME A BREAK!

February 19, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |