February 19th, 2008

Clinton: Democratic primary fight is 'speeches' vs. 'solutions'

(CNN) - Presidential candidate Hillary Clinton is planning to tell an Ohio audience tonight that the choice in the Democratic primary this year is between someone in the “speeches business” and someone in the “solutions business.”

"This is the choice we face: One of us is ready to be commander-in-chief in a dangerous world,” she is planning to tell an audience in Youngstown, Ohio, according to excerpts of the speech provided by her campaign. “One of us has a plan to provide health care for every single American - no one left out… Finally, one of us has faced serious Republican opposition in the past. And one of us is ready to do it again.

"Both Sen. [Barack] Obama and I would make history. But only one of us is ready on day one to be commander in chief, ready to manage our economy, and ready to defeat the Republicans. Only one of us has spent 35 years being a doer, a fighter and a champion for those who need a voice. That is what I would bring to the White House. That is the choice in this election... It’s about picking a president who relies not just on words – but on work, hard work, to get America back to work. Someone who’s not just in the speeches business – but will get America back in the solutions business."

Clinton and Obama are locked in a tight race for the Democratic presidential nomination.

–CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • Ohio
  1. LatinoNation

You Go Gilr :)!!

February 19, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  2. Amy in Iowa

What "solution" did Hillary Clinton give us for her failed healthcare? She had 8 years with her husband as President and they failed. I don't call that a solution.

February 19, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  3. LatinoNation

You Go Girl :) !!!!

February 19, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  4. Joe nyc

What a deceiver this Hillary is.. I just heard her say "I always believed that this election was going to be a very close contest..."... Com'on... give me a break... less than six weeks ago, you believed you would be crowned so easily... you were leading by 20 and 30 points in almost every state.. you were the inevitable... you must really believe that Americans are just idiots... please take the Clintons away.. someone please help.. I just can't stand listening to this woman any more..

February 19, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  5. lc

Whether she wins in Wisconsin or not-

Hillary cannot even command-her-campaign, how does she think she will be commander in chief?

Does she think her desperation and tactics will work with foreign leaders?

I think not!!

February 19, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  6. ROCCO

HILLARY IS GOING TO WIN. THE NEWS AND MEDIA NEED NOT INFLUENCE THIS ELECTION AS THEY HAVE SIDED WITH OBAMA. WHO THE HELL IS HE ANYWAYS? I HAVE NOT A CLUE. I KNOW HE HAS A GREAT PERSONALITY BUT THATS WHAT PEOPLE SAID ABOUT BUSH. IM NOT SURE I WANT TO HAVE THAT INFAMOUS BEER WITH THIS GUY. HE IS NOT READY TO RUN THIS COUNTRY. NO EXPERIENCE, NO NOTHING. I'D RATHER VOTE FOR MC CAIN IF HE WINS AND TRUST ME ABOUT 70% OF THE PEOPLE WHO ARE DEMOCRATS WILL VOTE FOR MCCAIN .. THANK YOU AND NO NEED TO WORRY BECAUSE HILLARY WILL WIN AT THE END..

February 19, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  7. Hilthecom

What solutions is she alluding to?

"Mandated" Healthcare...geez why doesnt she just move to Cuba and replace Castro there.

February 19, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  8. dave

I hate to say – but a rousing speech – get people up to work and do thing for you. That's what a leader should do – give a great speech to rally the population to do things.

If a speech make people falls asleep, then who cares!!

February 19, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  9. Mike, Houston, TX

The only one who is ready on day one to be commander in chief and manage our economy is Senator McCain. Hillary has never managed anything in her life and has never served in the Armed Forces. This is getting pathetic.

February 19, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  10. Janet

CNN this is getting boring. That's why you are called the "Clinton News Network". It was true during Bill's days and it's true now. Why don't you focus on the blatant lies and manipulation of the system that Hillary has been trying to get away with since this campaign began?

February 19, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  11. Ash

How does being First Lady translate to "years of public service" and being a doer, a fighter etc.? We still don't know what exactly Hillary did do during the Clinton presidency (other than the failed health reform) – she takes credit for all Bill's achievements, and she apparently had nothing to do it with it for all the failures. Does this mean Laura Bush is now also the most qualified Republican to be President?

If being in the White House before is considered such prime experience, going forward are we always going to give preference to family members of former Presidents when voting for President? Are we creating a dynasty or a democracy? The last time we picked a family member of a former President, didnt work out so well, did it?

February 19, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  12. elaine

There are at least two incidents in which Obama has used poor judgement in personal decisions. One, he bought a house and then turned around and purchased a portion of a lot from Resko's wife. He said it was stupid, his words.

Borrowing chunks of sppeches from Deval Patrick without giving credit, is that another dumb decision? Yet he is selling his command of language and inspirational speech and his impeccable truth, honesty and judgement. Guess the judgement works well with retrospective issues and I guess persoanl decisions.

February 19, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  13. cajun joe

Tell it like it is. All talk and no action. Hope is fine. Results are better.
    You know how to get things done. Go Hillary

February 19, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  14. NObama

Barack Obama is a phony! What do you think of a First Lady who felt proud to be an American for the FIRST TIME today! Is this the caliber of leadership we want for America? Clinton and McCain are the true candidates for November. Let the games begin!

February 19, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  15. Texas4Obama

It is ONLY Hillary that says the fight is 'speeches vs. solutions'.

Senator Obama has many plans to solve America's problems. In fact his economy plan is 27 pages longer than hers. She is trying to make him seem like something he is not. Give it up Hillary and drop out of the race with grace and go home – we've had enough of your negativity.

Obama '08

February 19, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  16. Anonymous

test

February 19, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  17. Chris in Va.

"you go girl"....what an informed, intellegent comment.

February 19, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  18. Ratgurl

Quote: "But only one of us is ready on day one to be commander in chief, ready to manage our economy, and ready to defeat the Republicans. Only one of us has spent 35 years being a doer, a fighter and a champion for those who need a voice. "

Wow, did Hillary live in Obama's skin for the past few years? If HE had said those words, I'd have believed HIM. And what has she spent 35 years DOING? She hasn't been a champion for the people who need it, she's championed for the wealthy & the big corporations. Hillary, stop reinventing yourself... your hole is getting too deep to get out of!

February 19, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  19. JA Cook

This is all serving to remind me of how sick I was of seeing and hearing the Clintons in the last decade. And Bill is even staying out of sight at the moment. I dread the day when he feels comfortable in public again.

February 19, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  20. Steve-Ohio

I really do not care who the nominee is for the Dems.

It seems to me that neither candidate has offered solutions to any issue.

Just rhetoric and slogans.

The American people can not be fooled ( I hope ! ) by this insane series of sound bites.

February 19, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  21. Vig

Let's face it – Americans are much more comfortable elevating males to hero status endowing them with all sorts of qualities that idolize. It is very rare for a woman to be elevated to hero worship – so Obama, being male, holds this priviledged position. Just listen to the hysteric rationalizations of Obamaites. Don't tell me gender doesn't matter – it's everything. So, who cares that Obama is, as one commentator called him, "all air and hair spray".

February 19, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  22. Catch A Plane Michelle

I will take solutions over speeches anyday.

Go Hillary

Go McCain

February 19, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  23. Rick

I certainly hope my fellow Ohioans wake up and see this commetary she is using is ridiculous. It is time for a fresh new change in the U.S.

February 19, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  24. sk

Has anybody noticed that in the primaries (not caucuses) Hillary has more wins than Obama? There are only 2 more caucuses left after HI. I wonder how that will affect the rest of the primaries.

February 19, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  25. earl illingsworth

What speeches? what Issues? They play dodge ball til Texas, and they laugh, me was a cynic, but now I don't know what were even voting for ? I guess me is a sceptical agnostic and HillBillary is got my nod!!!

February 19, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |