February 19th, 2008

Clinton, Obama camps: No plans to poach pledged delegates

(CNN) - The campaigns of Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama are both denying they might look to woo “pledged delegates” earned by their opponent in primary and caucus contests.

"We have not, are not, and will not pursue the pledged delegates of Barack Obama," Clinton communications director Howard Wolfson told reporters in a conference call. The Obama campaign also denied they would consider the tactic.

Over the past few weeks, the battle between the two sides over “superdelegates” – Democratic elected officials and party leaders who are free to support any candidate they wish at the party’s presidential nominating convention – has captured the headlines.

So far, “pledged delegates,” which are awarded proportionately based on election results, have not been considered in play.

Pledged delegates are typically strong supporters of the candidate they represent at the convention - although they are technically not bound to cast their vote for that candidate.

–CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

1. vince

I DON'T BELIEVE EITHER ONE OF THEM. I THINK EITHER ONE WILL DO WHAT IT TAKES TO WIN. IT'S A SAD DAY FOR AMERICA WHEN THESE TWO ARE ALL THATS LEFT FOR ME TO VOTE FOR. I THINK I'LL GO REPUBLICAN THIS TIME AROUND. OHIO DOESN'T HAVE MUCH SAY THIS TIME AROUND.

February 19, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  2. Ted Carson

Michelle Obama has an uncanny resemblance to James Brown the "God Father of Soul"

February 19, 2008 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  3. Ratgurl

Are they changing the rules AGAIN? Does anybody think this is fair? It's like playing 7-card stud, but following the rules for Texas Hold-em!

February 19, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  4. Amy

Why do these paid Hillaryiites have nothing else to say but "go hillary"

go where?

Get out the race is more like it.

Women for Obama in 2008!

February 19, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  5. Anna

Can we all be truthful no matter who we like or want to win this presidential election. I'm undecided but it irritates me when my intelligence is insulted with the negative and incorrect remarks people leave to defend there decisions. Example- I am the solutions candidate. Does anyone remember how our government actually works. Since when do Presidents write any bills?? They request that congress come up with a bill that they will approve or veto. Using the argument that one candidate or the other will not be able to make good on there campaign promises is null and void. The most any president can do is 'encourage', 'request' that congress come up with a bill that is to his approval. And even that has to be voted and agreed upon. And just for the record though i used Hillary as an example I do like her. What we need to be is realistic on what a President actually does and the influence that they carry- do we want a President who will actually seek to influence congress to work together and generate bills and ideas that will move this country forward. This is the best election that I have ever lived thru I just wish that bloggers, pundits, media would not insult the average reader/viewer's intelligence.

February 19, 2008 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  6. Cathy

No matter what, win or lose I will always support Hillary because I know she will continue to work for the people win or lose. I do not believe that Obama has that same committment. If he did, he would not need to keep repeating the sames words over and over again. And oh yeah, they are not even his words.

February 19, 2008 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  7. Julianne

Yeah...and no one was going to "campaign" in Florida either–because they all agreed on that, too–right?

February 19, 2008 07:46 pm at 7:46 pm |