February 19th, 2008

Exit polls: Change the top priority

A woman casts a paper ballot in Hortonville, Wisconsin.
A woman casts a paper ballot in Hortonville, Wisconsin.

(CNN) – For Wisconsin’s Democratic primary voters, the most important quality in picking a president this year was change - and most of those voters chose Barack Obama over Hillary Clinton Tuesday, according to early exit polls.

Clinton had a narrow advantage over Obama as most qualified to be commander in chief; Obama was viewed as most likely to unite the country, improve relations with the rest of the world – and beat the Republican nominee this fall.

–CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Exit Polls • Wisconsin
  1. mill

Cnn has lost me as a viewer bias bias the only person I would give the time is Toobin, Thanks Mr Toobin

February 19, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  2. Alison, FL

Don't be so negative! The rest of the country agrees that Obama is the one! All of those people who don't agree think the rest of us are either stupid, blind or misinformed. Please consider you may be the one who is misinformed.
    BUSH-CLINTON-BUSH-CLINTON – what is wrong with this picture?? Aside from all of that, it is clear Obama is the only one of the two who will win against McCain...we cannot afford to chance losing this election AGAIN to another Republican who is just like Bush! We have to pick a winner...someone who can put together a working majority to win the election...let's not settle for mediocre people!

February 19, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  3. Undecided

Chance, Vig - do a little reading. There's tons - tons and tons and tons - of info available about Obama's positions, legislative record, etc., etc. If you disagree with what you find, well, take a coherent stand. But having familiarized myself with his substance, I have to say the lightweight claim just doesn't hold.

Further, take a quick snapshot of the campaigns to date - one, that of the experience candidate, began with every concievable advantage, and has proven - I hate to say - really pretty inept. The other has been run quite masterfully. Based on that alone, which would you hire as your CEO? I don't see how it's a contest anymore.

February 19, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  4. B for Obama

Andrew, I have some words of kindness for you – Obama IS the winner and deserves the coverage. Hillary lost and have never acknowledged that each time she speaks after an election – not even to thank those who voted for her. Now, that is what I call RUDE. And for Lilarose, wake up and smell the coffee. if you're voting for Hillary, just know you are voting for bill Clinton. You want him fr another 4 years? I wouldn't think so if you are sane and care about America. Obama may be lightweight but he is untainted. untainted by politics and has no one whom he owes allegiance

February 19, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  5. observer#1

I am afar left Democrat also and McCain is looking better and better. I will never , ever vote for Obama. If he gets the nomination, McCain gets my vote!

February 19, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  6. mill

I have always watched CNN, but you all became the net work of Hillary Clinton Hater too

February 19, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  7. Irene

Again we democrats are doing the worst thing for our party and will let the media and the Repugs decide our election. I hope that all of you who are gloating now don't cry foul after the general election when Obama loses to McCain. I live in AZ and have seen the stuff this man is willing to do. I believe in hope as much as the next person. but when you are up against the most corrupt group of people on the planet you have to be able to fight. They have set you all up. If they can steal two elections they can affect the outcome of a race by manipulation of the MSM so people vote for the easy mark.
    Too bad you Obama supporters can not see it. I don't look forward to the fall.

February 19, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  8. Lesley

Hey CNN, what happened to Equal Time?

Normally, I think you're great... but you've seriously fallen in line with MSNBC and made it pretty clear that Obama is your choice for the democratic party. Not a bad choice, but the least you could do for the American public is give all the candidates equal time and equal opportunity. Pretty rude if you ask me! And more importantly, very unprofessional.

February 19, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  9. Heather

I would LOVE to see a woman in the office, but I don't like Hilary. I don't think is the best we can offer for the job. After having many talks with my mother about what all is going on the election season, we've both come to the consensus that Hilary would not be change, she would be more of the same. We would see at least 24 years, if not 28 years of a Clinton or a Bush in the White House. Something about that seems crazy to me. It seems like we are trying to stay with something that is comfortable.

As for Obama being black. For all I care he could be blue, purple or pink and it wouldn't matter. The issues he stands on, are issues that are important to a part of society. Being in education, I agree with all the candidates that feel NCLB needs to be changed or completely eliminated. The education system in this country is failing our students, and having that as a major issue is important to me.

I also like what Obama is about. He really seems to care about the general public. I feel that if Hilary were to get into office, she would change her stance on many issues. I'm not saying that it will happen, or that Obama won't stray from his platform, but I for one am all for Obama in 2008.

February 19, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  10. Jim

Obama will not get my vote if Hillary does not get the nomination – It will be McCain all the way and I will do everything to get him elected and to squash Obama in his tracks if he gets the nomination.

Obama will be bad for this country and the ones that are going with this movement will regret it down the road. You will see what he really wants. One nation under Africa! NOT ME

February 19, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  11. Jan

Obama needs to get a new speech. He says the same ole sorry thing over and over and over. McCain is looking better all the time. I too thought it was rude to cut Hillary off.

February 19, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  12. Leo

Thank you everyone in Wisconsin. Thank you for seeing past the mud slinging. I honestly believe we have the opportunity of a lifetime right now. This country, the United States of America, is the greatest country in the world and we will continue to prove that under our next great leader, Mr. Barack Obama.

Mr. Obama can and will bring about change in the United States of America.

Mr. Obama can and will get things done for our country. Do you know how I know that? I know that for sure. I know that for absolutely positively sure, not just because Mr. Obama will make it happen, but because WE THE PEOPLE, will unite and make this happen for our great country.

Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps. Are you watching Mr. Obama in Texas right now? The people of this great nation are going absolutely crazy!!! The people of this country are uniting right before our very eyes, like never before!!!!!!

February 19, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  13. Jean

Another life long Democrat looking at McCain in the general if Obama the Orator wins for Dems. Sad that we are all falling for the Obama hype.

February 19, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  14. JOHN

I HAVE ONE THING TO SAY TO ALL OF YOU PEOPLE. WHAAAAAAAAAA, WHAAAAAAAAAAA, WHAAAAAAAAAAA. YES WE CAN.

February 19, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  15. Me

Just a thought since Obama has not said anything of substance yet.

February 19, 2008 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  16. Madford

Those of you that think all of us Clinton supporters will happily support Obama in the end are mistaken. Too many blind sheep in the democratic party, and they have ruined our chance to take back the White House. Agree with him or not, McCain is authentic and Obama is not - and he will take Obama's lunch money.

February 19, 2008 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  17. Todd

Obama represents a clean break from the past, and that's what we are craving.

Hillary=Bill
    McCain=Bush
    Obama = Change

If you don't think Obama has ideas, read his book. Don't just buy the Clinton spin on "speeches versus solutions" He offers inspiration and ideas.

February 19, 2008 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  18. L.V.S. Williams

Barack Obama is 'vomitose'. Every word that comes out of his mouth stinks of prejudice, sexism and yes, racism, though neatly interwoven into the fabric of his speeches so that the average American is enthralled by his stature, charisma AND EMPTY WORDS..YES, he does have charisma but with no substance or solutions behind what he says. His campaign people invent new gimmicks daily to further undermine the thinking abilitiies of the people to whom he speaks. The man speaks with 'forked tongue' and when his wife is even doubtful about taking over as First Lady, what kind of division is that going to create in his own family?

Michele Obama has stated more than once that she does not necessarily support what he's doing. His own daughters refuse to come up on the platform even when he asks them. A father 'asks' his 7 yr. old child??? A father does not explain to his wife and his children that what he's doing is for their benefit?? If he can't even win over his own family, what is this man going to do FOR THE UNITED STATES????? Once again, he is 'vomitose'. Hail Hillary!!!!

February 19, 2008 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  19. Ito, Yokosuka Japan

Most people realize a vote for HRC is not a vote for change, but a vote more more of the same. 8 years is enough. It is time to move on. It is time to turn the page.

Oops...did I just plagurize HRC? Or was it Obama that said that first? we can and we will. Oops...did I just plagurize HRC? Or was it Obama that said that first?

February 19, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  20. DEE

CNN was really rude to Hillary, as usual. Lost me this time, All men are sexist. You all deserve Obama, Inexperience as he is. This time I cannot vote.

February 19, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  21. Angela M

Iam watching all the coverage tonight, as I do every night on CNN. It;s very important to us here in Canada, what happens in the US & I find that you are giving Obama so much extra coverage on Cnn. Tonight you gave Clinton what?, 5 minutes & we have been listening to Obama now for almost an hour. I always felt that CNN was a fair & balanced News network however, after tonight I do not. It would appear to us here that you despise Clinton for some reason. How can you, in a fair & balanced business(supposedly)do this? I have never experienced anything so unbalanced in quite awhile. Iam a single white female, 32 & I would like to hear both candidates. So much for equal time, Iam very dissapointed in what you have done in a supposed democracy.

Angela M

February 19, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  22. Chris

Obama is still talking...ouch...he is going on and on and he is saying absolutely nothing new. He is a broken record. This change thing...what change has he brought in the two years he has been in the Senate? What change did he bring to "ALL" folks in his community organizations? I am still HOPING to find these things out one of these days.

February 19, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  23. KR

Nothing like giving Obama free and over extended airetime to say nothing! He has been on for more that 45 mins and still jibber jabbin!! Give us a break CNN!!

February 19, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  24. James in Oregon

Of Course this Election is about change. America is so done with the Clinton and Bush/McCain type of politics.

February 19, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  25. aware

If Barack is the nominee, vote for McCain. Barack is a loser who borrows rhetoric to woo disenchanted Americans.

Hillary the HOPE of 08