February 19th, 2008

Exit polls: McCain and the conservative vote

McCain speaks to supporters at a rally in Brookfield, Wisconsin.
McCain speaks to supporters at a rally in Brookfield, Wisconsin.

(CNN) - Half of Wisconsin’s Republican primary voters who said they were very conservative cast their ballots for Mike Huckabee, according to early exit polls. But John McCain, who has been wooing that key GOP voting bloc, managed to pull in 40 percent of that group. Forty-nine percent of somewhat conservative Republicans went for McCain, as did 66 percent moderate voters followed suit.

Evangelical voters still flocked to Huckabee, a one-time Baptist minister.

Overall, McCain and Huckabee split the nearly two-thirds of Wisconsin Republicans who identified themselves as conservatives, with both candidates

taking 45 percent. Ron Paul, the only other Republican still in the race, drew 5 percent of the conservative vote and Mitt Romney – no longer an active candidate - drew 3 percent.

In Wisconsin, 76 percent of the GOP voters said they'd be satisfied if McCain is the GOP nominee. Forty-eight percent said McCain's positions were "about right," but 44 percent said he was "not conservative enough."

Filed under: Exit Polls • Wisconsin
  1. Maria

I never thought I would see the day that CNN cuts off speeches from canidates, just because they won.... I am very disappointed that the coverage or I should say lack of for some canidates and an overabundce for another. I guess it looks like the media is picking our canidate for us, just like the justice dept. decded our President in 2000...... From a dedicated viewer

February 19, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  2. edwin

Here is what I don't understand if everybody of course at least almost everybody is always saying that president w, bush is a bad president he messed up the economy he sent our soldiers to Iraq the list goes on and on. here is the question then why is maccain so successful in these campaign while we know that if he becomes the commander in chief his policies are no different from bush's policies which has not being very successful as we know. the fact is if Maccain becomes the next president that only means majority of the voters left there brains under their pillow before going to vote and it only proves that president Bush's policies where not bad after all.

February 19, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  3. Nathan

How dare Barak cut off Hillary Clinton! It's sure that he knew she was still speaking. Obama is an arrogant toddler who can't even let tonight's loser get her five minutes on the air. It made him look petty and childish. I turned off CNN when he came on. Hopefully you will rebroadcast Clinton's speech in full. If I have to listen to Obama empty promises, at least let me listen to Hillary!

February 19, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  4. robert kilby

people keep telling huckabee to drop out of the race. I believe he needs to stay in the race and find out to the end who is really going to vote for McCain in the Nov. election. I for one have been a registered republican all my life but wil be voting for Obama in the fall elections if McCain wins. and i urge all other conservative voters to do likewise.

February 19, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  5. Nathan

REBROADCAST HILLARYS SPEECH! SUCH ARROGANCE ON OBAMMA'S PART!

February 19, 2008 09:57 pm at 9:57 pm |
  6. Nathan

I just got out my credit card and gave Clinton 500 bucks. I can't bare to see her be treated so badly or live to see the day when I actually agree that women have it harder than men! Everyone out there should do the same.

February 19, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  7. Canadian Neighbour

To: All Hillary Supporters

"Obama is simply the best, better than all the rest"

February 19, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  8. Vicki King

Three times tonight, Feb. 19th, 2008, twice by Anderson Cooper and once by Wolf Blitz in less than two hours quoted Michele Obama as saying from a speech that she made in Wisconsin a day ago. What I heard her say from your tape of her speaking she said, "It is the first time in her adult life that she was REALLY proud of America or proud to be an American. But the key word here is REALLY, and tonight when your news anchor s stated above misquoted her as saying that it was the first time in her life that she was proud to be an American. Why was the really left off of their quote of what she said, i think that is a misquote and a very manipulative one on their part to misgrue not only to the American people watching CNN tonight but people around the world, perhaps the woman's real meaning was that just maybe she was really proud to be an american now because maybe the way the whole country is embracing her husband, a black american running for President in the united states if we as Americans care to stop defining people according their race. And that maybe its the first time in history Americans have stepped outside the race issue and supported a man who inspires them and offers hope and common sense leadership in the future. Well, I will say it to because not only to I feel it, I am white woman, college and as a small girl growning up in the 60's am really proud to be an American today and embrace Senator Obama and support him because he is the only one who I hear who speaks the truth and it is a sincere truth. As I work in the legal profession, I know how important slight changes such as leaving out important words someone spoke changes the whole meaning of a quote. I will say it also if you would like to quote me, Its the first time in a long time that I have Really, Really been proud to be an American in this political campaign not that I have not ever been proud of America and I am really proud of other Americans who are embracing Senator Obama for his merit and deserving appreciation for what he stands for to the American people and not dismissing him because of his race. And, you might tell your news anchorman that they might in the future quote exactly what Michele Obama was saying and not leave off a word such as really that changes the whole meaning of her sentence from what they cared to quote to the world tonight. And, you might throw in an apology to her, also. Thank you.
    Vicki King
    Charleston, South Carolina

February 19, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  9. Gavin

CNN NEEDS TO RE-AIR SENATOR CLINTONS' SPEECH

IT WAS OUTRAGEOUS OF BOTH OBAMA & CNN TO INTERRUPT HER SPEECH.

SHE IS *barely* BEHIND – MY GOODNESS (THIS RACE IS *NOT* OVER)....

WHEN OBAMA WAS BEHIND, HE WAS NOT TREATED LIKE THIS.

RE-AIR CLINTONS SPEECH IN ITS ENTIRETY!!!!!!!!!!!

CLINTON 08

February 19, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  10. D.J. & Maria

You know if Sen Clinton recieved as much positive exposure as Obama does she'd be doing much better. Obama is a rock star and his speeches move people as in CHURCH on a sunday morning! The media is making sure of the Democratic nomination....I watch CNN 24hrs a day. I heard the PUNDITS say if the super delegates or Michigan or Floida come into play there will be a fractured Democratic Party and the Democrats will be no more! So the only election that matters is if Obama wins! How is that an Election?

February 19, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  11. VP

Nathan.... keep trying

February 19, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  12. John

Obama/Bayh, the midwestern guys!
    McCain and Mitt..... Awww........

February 19, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  13. Robert

The Republicans threatening to vote for Obama if McCain is the nominee don't realize what that means. Obama will have a near-socialist agenda... big government, more involvement of government in your life. on foreign policy he may be pacifist to the extent of Jimmy Carter. Not a choice a conservative can really make.

This splitting of the vote, aided and abetted by commentators who call themselves conservatives, is the dream scenario for the Democrats and will yield an extreme liberal if not leftist White House.

Obama and Hillary are celebrating every time these so-called conservative talk show hosts go on the air to tear down McCain.

I hope conservative voters will stop submissively following the Limbaughs and the Coulters like sheep....and look at the harm they may be doing to the country by throwing their vote to an ideologically socialist Democrat.

February 19, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  14. Orenn Greene

Why does Obama have more time to speak than Clinton. I would like to have heard all of what she had to say. She does not have the same television time as Obama. Obama will not make a good president. The Repubicans will win before Obama.

February 19, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  15. Dee

Hey CNN, what is going on with the moderation here: This blog does not belong to Nathan!

Hilary supporters can donate all you want. With all the whinning going on, I wonder who the toddler is?

February 19, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  16. Anonymous

Nathan, maybe Obama was thinking he had to stop her before she got another chance to sling mud at him because she'll do anything to win (Ms. "I'm in it to win."; she realized quickly that selfish statement was not a smart one to make any longer) and damage the party's chances even more come November?

I mean, her opening statements thanking WI and the voters that supported her in this tough competition. Oh wait...she never said anything like that. Of course, unless she was saving it for the ending that got cut off there.

February 19, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  17. Anonymous

February 19, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  18. fair tax in la.

GOD BLESS McCAIN!!

February 19, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  19. Raponikoff

I loved the fact that Mrs. Clinton was cut off, when a person doesn't have the decency to concede and instead shovels same stale, hopeless slander, the less heard the better! If Clinton can't think of anything better to run on then the character of Obama's speeches than she needs to bow out and let the process of unifying this party begin. I notice the Redubs aren't waiting...

February 19, 2008 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  20. Frank

Give Clinton 500 bucks?!? BWAHAHAHAHHAAH!

One has to be a real sucker to do something so inane as that.

No more Clintons OR Bushes. No more perpetuation of powerful dynasties, thank you. They have never been, and never will be a good thing for our Republic.

February 19, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  21. JOHN

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, WHAAAAAAAAAAA, WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, I HAVE ONE THING TO ASK? WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME HILLARY WON A STATE, A CITY, A TOWN, A BLOCK, A HOUSE?

February 19, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  22. spatton

I have been listening to Obama ramble on now forever. This is the most dangerous man living today. Why you ask? Because he thinks hes God. When will people wake up. Very very scary!!!!!

February 19, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  23. JOHN

STOP CRYING ABOUT HILLARYS SPEECH, REMEMBER SPEECH'S DONT MATTER AND TALK IS CHEAP.

February 19, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  24. J Morris

Jeeps...McCain is a nice guy... though I've heard has a "bad temperment" What does that mean to a guy with a red phone in his hand? Duh... war, war and more war... but I SAY UNTO YOU...Hammer your weapons into farming tools. We need to eat in the future... We can't eat oil... and we need solutions for breathing in the future... Hello... who is the candidate that is promoting sustainable energy... that is the candidate for me! Who realizes the need for self-sufficiency in a dangerous world, that is the candidate for me... Who cares about the earth that my grandchildren will inherit...that is the candidate for me.

February 19, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  25. Brian

"The Republicans threatening to vote for Obama if McCain is the nominee don't realize what that means. Obama will have a near-socialist agenda… big government, more involvement of government in your life. on foreign policy he may be pacifist to the extent of Jimmy Carter. Not a choice a conservative can really make."

ummm isn't Bush the one spying on THE PEOPLE of the UNITED STATES and breaking the Constitution?

give the people of this country back their freedom!

February 19, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |