February 19th, 2008

Exit polls: McCain voters most worried about Iraq

(CNN) - The economy was the top concern among Wisconsin Republicans, as it has been in every primary and caucus this year. But John McCain’s supporters had a competing concern in early exit polls - by a narrow 35 percent to 33 percent margin, they were more worried about the war in Iraq than the economy.

McCain’s voters made up 70 percent of those most concerned about Iraq, the polls showed, while Mike Huckabee’s voters made up 39 percent of those most concerned about the economy. Sixty-one percent of the Wisconsin GOP voters said the economy was either not good or poor.

The polls also showed that voters looking for experience tapped McCain, the four-term Arizona senator, while voters looking for a candidate that shares their values chose Huckabee.

Filed under: Exit Polls • Wisconsin
  1. Anonymous

BOOOOOOOOOOOO Hilary. What are going to pull next? YOU SHOULD BE ASHAME OF YOURSELF.

GO OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 19, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  2. Gina

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..............Hilary
    You should be ashame of yourself.

GO OBAMA GO...................................

February 19, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  3. Belle

I love CNN...

Carrying Obama's speech live.

Carrying Huckabee's speech.

Ignoring Clinton entirely.

February 19, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  4. JF

Check it out…McCain is already starting his attack on Mr. Lack of experience. I hope all of you that voted for Obama are happy. You did this and in the end…I hope Clinton supporters stay home and let McCain get in. The thought of Obama in charge is scary and Michelle Obama…no comment on that one!!

February 19, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  5. John Starnes Tampa Florida

Well since McCain is has been blunt in his approval of this expansionistic war of choice to control Iraq's oil, even if it means permanent bases there for 100-1000 years, voters SHOULD be worried about having such a hot head in the White House. Sure he served in Vietnam, endured being a POW, and has a cool mom...but none of those things qualify him to be President. We need a fully COMPETENT president to at least to BEGIN to undo the travesties unleashed against America by the current moody and unqualified president.

February 19, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  6. Peter Obama08!

Maccain you are a fear monger, and America are not ready for someone who will deter them from their happiness.
    You son is back from Iraq and other people sons and daughter are still in Iraq.

Obama will beat you hands down come November.
    God Bless you all that have believed in Obama.

February 19, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  7. Canadian Neighbour

Mccain, please give peace a chance ! Enough of the "war...war...war...war "

February 19, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  8. Thomas

I can not believe of all the primaries I have watched, that Obama would start to speak soon as Hillary started to speak in Ohio. He new that since the projection was for him in Wisonsin he would get the spotlight. How does Hillary have a chance if she never gets the airtime that Obama gets. I think he is a snake. I am a life long democrat. I can tell you all this. If he gets the nomination It will be McCain 08 for me. And Believe me I am not the only one. Do not forget the record breaking primaries of 1988 for democrats, And look who won the national election.

February 19, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  9. Walt, Belton,TX

I'm more worried about the mexican border, keeping out any further illegal aliens and getting rid of the 12-20 million who have illegally infiltrated into the states so far. The ones here already are ruining our economy and taking us for billions more than what they're producing. If we need to do another San Jacinto, so be it!

February 19, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  10. JF

John McCain is my new choice for President. Since the Obama lovers took Hillary away from me, I have no choice but to vote for Crazy McCain and believe me...I WILL. You can all have your Obama and Michelle party but hoping that McCain wins now since Hillary got the short end of the stick.

February 19, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |
  11. Gavin

THESE ARE PURELY EXIT POLLS....

THE REALITY IS THAT I WILL *****NEVER****** VOTE FOR barack obama....

NEVER

PUT THAT IN YOUR POLL.

HE IS A FRAUD – PHONY

February 19, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  12. JF

Thomas (above comment) is 100% correct. If you think that Republicans are afraid of Obama you are dead wrong. They WANT Obama to run against this fall. Life long Democrat and if I can't have Hillary I will vote for McCain.

February 19, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  13. Nathan

CNN is biased to Obama. Look at their "Best political team." Im curious to know as th why there are so many white people that support Obama, but where are the blacks that support Clinton? And yes, I'm refering to the "best" political team on TV. Yeah, race isnt an issue... Do you think we are dumb?

February 19, 2008 10:04 pm at 10:04 pm |
  14. Peter Obama08!

If you don't want to vote Obama you can stay at home. What has Obama done to you?
    It is a politice it not a fight either you like him or Hillary. Don't swear that you never vote Obama.

February 19, 2008 10:06 pm at 10:06 pm |
  15. Jose Card - Independent

McCain appreciates peace more than most people.
    What do you think he was thinking most of the time when he was a POW?
    Torture vs. Humanity?
    Fire reminds us of water.
    War reminds us of peace.

February 19, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  16. Chris Wolkotte

I just don't know what to make of this primary but, I will tell you this. I am a registered democrat, but if Obama gets the nomination I will vote for McCain. The reason being; Obama is not safe. He has state more or less that he will become friends with terrorist countries. That's incredible!

He also keeps screaming "change" but never talks about his programs.

Lastly, I am very disappointed with the media. The rule of equal treatment has gone out the window. The media is cow-towing to Obama. Case in point; tonight. You stop telecasting Clinton to telecast Obama. And, he bantered on, and,on,\and,on. This is lousy treatment of other candidates on your part, and special treatment for him.

February 19, 2008 10:08 pm at 10:08 pm |
  17. j.j

John Mc Cain you have my vote in Nov..... My friends and family will vote for safety sorry obama you don't have what it takes!!!!!!1

February 19, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  18. JKan

McCain wins the November general election if Barack is the Democratic nominee. Congrats to McCain!

February 19, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  19. Dee

JF and Gavin,

Please go ahead and vote for McCain. The way I see it, good riddance to you both.

February 19, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  20. Closely Watching

Sure are a lot of rotten peaches being eaten tonight.

Senator Obama will win with or without your support, and he will change the course of this country with or without your efforts, and I for one will proudly fly my "Yes We Did" bumper sticker while the rest of you go back to your couches and video games.

February 19, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  21. Darryl From Arlington Texas

Mr. McCain, Congrats and my God bless you and your lovely wife and family. America needs a Change in direction........

February 19, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  22. Donna Burton

I'm still voting Huckabee on March 4th, Texas and in November. McCain – you gotta be kidding?

February 19, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  23. Nathan

We can only hope the superdelagates will do what they are supposed to do: moderate and democractic primary that is being taken over by independents, the naive and the stupid.

What is there so much press about how bad that would be. I have a degree in political science, and the more you study democracy, the more you realize what a sham it is.

Americal Idol is democratic, and this campaign is looking just as bad.

PLEASE SAVE US, OH MIGHTY SUPERDELEGATES!

February 19, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  24. hillary 08:

I will NEVER VOTE FOR OBAMA!!!!!!!!! In Pennsylvania WE believe in results and not TALK!!! It is pathetic that people are SNOWED by him.
    America's Back? Where did we go?
    I will vote for McCain before him!

Get the election to PA so we can get it straight! and get it over with. And get the CHANGE PUPPET talk off the airwaves before he steals more ideas from Clinton and McCain!

February 19, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |
  25. JO

Gavin: Could not have said it better !!

February 19, 2008 10:14 pm at 10:14 pm |