February 19th, 2008

Exit polls: McCain voters most worried about Iraq

(CNN) - The economy was the top concern among Wisconsin Republicans, as it has been in every primary and caucus this year. But John McCain’s supporters had a competing concern in early exit polls - by a narrow 35 percent to 33 percent margin, they were more worried about the war in Iraq than the economy.

McCain’s voters made up 70 percent of those most concerned about Iraq, the polls showed, while Mike Huckabee’s voters made up 39 percent of those most concerned about the economy. Sixty-one percent of the Wisconsin GOP voters said the economy was either not good or poor.

The polls also showed that voters looking for experience tapped McCain, the four-term Arizona senator, while voters looking for a candidate that shares their values chose Huckabee.

Filed under: Exit Polls • Wisconsin
  1. Donna Fouchong

Obama all the way

February 19, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  2. fair tax in la.

GOD BLESS NcCAIN !!!!

February 19, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  3. AA

Do people really think that the man who said we will be in Iraq for 100 yrs will know how to get us out of Iraq?

February 19, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  4. Shannon - Dallas

Thomas are you kidding? I'm pretty sure Obama doesn't control over who CNN is going to give airtime. CNN does.

February 19, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  5. Corey

amazing how people's prejudices come out....support someone who wants a one-hundred year iraq war.... smart.

February 19, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  6. Patrick

DARN IT He's going to end up in the white house. I'm disgusted right now. The war mongering continues. Obama is going to get EATEN ALIVE and if he does somehow get into the white house we will all be screwed for his lack of plans, because he won't be able to borrow Hillaries!

February 19, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  7. HR

The message is clear in the preceding comments. If you're a bitter, negative, small minded and under-educate individual you spew your vitrtiol at Obama. HOW would you know that Barack is phony or that he's only a speech maker. Look at his record, look at his writings. The petty, name calling reveals your lack of knowledge. He had the forsight to oppose the war. HE ad the foresight to see that the nation needed a leader that was willing to work with people from both sides of the aisle. He is not afraid of confronting our enemies at the table rather then sending young men and women to do our dirty work after the failures of small minded poll watching professional politicians. IF YOU READ FOR YOURSELF, rather than letting thirty seconds of Lou Dobbs, Rush Limbaugh or Tim Russert make up your mind for you you would know that Obama is the real deal.

February 19, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  8. Corey

All of the best leaders are inspiring speakers. They don't read off teleprompters like McCain. His campaign and soon Barack's cabinet will be leaders who will make things happen. McCain barely gets his own party's vote. Huckabee is the true conservative. He's laying his ground for 2012. Get over your own prejudices! It's 2008 for God's sake! Don't hold yourself down by hating on others.

February 19, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  9. Ellen Alger

Shame on you CNN! What happened to impartial reporting by the news media? CNN is supposed to be a non-partisan provider of unbiased coverage of the news but you have clearly come down on the side of Barak Obama by cutting away in the middle of Hilary Clinton's speech to cover Barak Obama.
    What happened to equal air time?

February 19, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  10. GC

Wow, Nathan is just throwing mud at everyone that votes Obama tonight. I appreciate the open forum here, but I have to agree with others on here that some people are really throwing some negative comments out there towards people tonight.

As for some comments on here about the 'naive' and the 'stupid' directing this race, on the heals of another Obama win, it's important to remember that since the first caucus polls there has been a dominant trend showing that those individuals with college educations, or greater, have voted for Obama over Clinton.

February 19, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  11. ohiovoter

Go McCain.
    You are solid on foreign policy and if you keep jobs here,
    and make the tax cuts permanent I will be happy!
    Just please don't let any more good jobs leave this country.
    There are many college educated people impacted by all of this as well. Please do something to encourage professional growth here.
    India and others are taking far too much of it. Please bring jobs
    back home and keep the terrorists out.
    If you can do that you will absolutely have my vote.
    As fara as obama i just really don't know what to make of him yet.
    I feel Hillary is more experienced by far but i don't like her sudden
    pullout of the war–i think it should be more gradual–and how
    in the world is she going to finance health care? Those are my
    concerns with her.

February 19, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  12. Brian

Wow the Hillary supporters show their true colors! Rather than vote for Obama they will vote for the person most like BUSH! Bush/Clinton monarchy will be over!

Let Freedom ring!

February 19, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  13. cajun joe

Thisis about McCain and who supports him, not about Osama and that Hillary woman. It won't matter which one of these losers you
    select, they will go down in November because Republicans and Conservative Democrats will not vote for them.

February 19, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  14. D

IF; HILLARY LOSES THIS ELECTION AGAINST MR. LACK OF EXPERIENCE. HE WILL BE AN EASY PREY FOR JOHN MCCAIN. THEY KNOW IT!

February 19, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  15. changing times

Hillary 08: Most of America doesn't agree with you! Vote for McCain if you want-but then you have to live with yourself everdyay, not us!!!

February 19, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  16. James in Oregon

McCain voters most worried about Iraq.........."That why McCain is UN-ELECTABLE".

February 19, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  17. We Can Do Better

In Senator McCain I see a great hero who struggles to maintain his composure. I see a Candidate who has shown time and again how he loses his presence of mind and temper over little things that are out of his control. I see a Candidate who could lead us to premature preemptive action when delicate diplomacy is required. I see a Candidate who will make a tense situation worse. I see a Candidate who needs a staff to manage him. How can we have a President who struggles to handle the little things and think he will somehow be different facing Vladmir Putin or Ahmadenajad?

February 19, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  18. Jerry O'Connor

I am a Canadian citizen and yet watch and listen attentively at all the developements and more importantly, "all the promises" that are being handed out to the American citizens............"if you vote for me"!

In all honesty, one has to wonder how in the ...."bleep, bleep" are these politicians EVER going to deliver on all these promises.

Politics in the U.S. is no different then that of Canadian politics here in my country and when the dust has settled down and a victor has emerged, the promises of that victor (whether it be Clinton or Obama) will all have been forgotten and go undelivered as they have always been as attested from past elections.

One thing about elections whether in Canada or in the U.S.! It sure warms the heart and lifts up our hopes listening to all their rhetoric.............EVEN IF IT IS JUST BUT FOR A LITTLE WHILE.

By the way.....is anyone vedeo taping all these promises so that when the victor is declared, all these promises can be asked of as to where they all went later on when they have cozingly settled in the White House in Washington?

Inspite of all the rhetoric and empty, broken and undelivered promises to the citizens, I still chose to live in no other place but in Canada....right next door to my good neighbour.............OUR AMERICAN FRIENDS.

ONLY IN AMERICA..........GOD BLESS AMERICA AND CANADA

A Candian friend

Jerry O'Connor

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

February 19, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  19. kishan

Where is he going to get all the money for his projects?

From Oprha

Talk is easy.

February 19, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  20. Tori

Gavin. Newsflash! Who cares who you vote for! Obama is the next President whether you like it or not!

Go Obama 08!

February 19, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  21. Jessie Mayhew

I am for Hillary I think the media has been all for Obama they have really not said any good things and because of that if I can vote for Hillary I will but if not I will vote for McCain. Obama has had a free ride. how can you vote for some one that only gived speechs. Is Obama a cult like some of the people are saying? I am proud of my country always have been

February 19, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  22. The Dean of Heroics

Change....Change!!!

February 19, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  23. Nora

I am extremely disappointed by the blantant lack of balance provided by CNN, Looking at your website every other word is Barack Obama. A week ago no one in the news was willing to count out the Clintons. Now despite the fact that there has been no change since in the direction of the primaries and with several large states still to come you are implying that this race is over for Clinton. Sadly I have found Fox News to be more fair and balanced in their coverage of the democratic nomination than CNN.

February 19, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  24. Vic

If Obama happens to become the democratic party candidate in the general election, I will defect from my 60 years as a faithful member and support Senator John McCain. So long ago, I learned to tell the difference between empty and lofty, evangelical, sound-goof rhetoric, and those who truly have the country's interest at heart.

Unfortunately, here in Houston, so many folks are too easily and emotionally moved and inspired by charismatic people, not unlike Professor Harold Hill, con man of the "Music Man" play. The sad thing about this is that old Piper has to be paid, and in this instance of electing a President, we the people are the one's whose pocket-book will be hit. And then it will be too late.

My biggest hope is that we all use our good sense of purpose and elect the best President we can find. That person, this time, seems to be Senator McCain.

February 19, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  25. Cindy

Obama are you kidding me! I am a black female and OBama is a joke. He is so much all talk and he has the African American are brain washed by this man and his skin. I am so scared of him taking over our country. He my sit up there looking good but then what. and where is the change??? he doesnt like gay people where is the change. How about you change your views Obama and maybe we will change ours. Oh My if Obama get in then McCain has my vote. Someone wake up! or take my words oh wait maybe Obama will use my words to FAKE

February 19, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |