February 19th, 2008

Exit polls: McCain voters most worried about Iraq

(CNN) - The economy was the top concern among Wisconsin Republicans, as it has been in every primary and caucus this year. But John McCain’s supporters had a competing concern in early exit polls - by a narrow 35 percent to 33 percent margin, they were more worried about the war in Iraq than the economy.

McCain’s voters made up 70 percent of those most concerned about Iraq, the polls showed, while Mike Huckabee’s voters made up 39 percent of those most concerned about the economy. Sixty-one percent of the Wisconsin GOP voters said the economy was either not good or poor.

The polls also showed that voters looking for experience tapped McCain, the four-term Arizona senator, while voters looking for a candidate that shares their values chose Huckabee.

Filed under: Exit Polls • Wisconsin
  1. Farrell, Houston, Tx

McCains' 100 more years in Iraq surely would give one concern because it is largely impacting our economy. Vote Obama.

February 19, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  2. Sunny S.

Tonight, I was watching Hillary Clinton address a group of voters and was quite interested....

THEN, WITHOUT ANY EXCUSES, NO REASON, NO EXPLANATION THAT I HEARD: the network summarily, autocratically and unilaterally cut off Hillary and went to Obama, and with no choice, I could not hear Hillary, and I didn't want to listen to the only choice you gave us.

Not that I don't recognize that you have the right to PROMOTE whatever candidate you wish on your network....I feel it was impossibly rude to preempt her speech after you started her program..

Even if you ignore just cutting off a lady, even if you ignore she IS his senior in experience and education and a former first Lady....it was totally without manners. Rude. Without consideration.

Shame on you, CNN. I have depended on you for so long to get both sides of stories, ALL the news, FULL coverage. Well tonight, I feel slighted.

As a woman, as a voter, as a listener and as the first rule we teach in getting along with one another....wait your turn and share...you don't just start in the middle and push the others off the air!!

February 19, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  3. alan

If Obama is the nominee for the Democrats, I will vote McCain. Obama's campaign is nothing more than a rehash of that "I'd like to buy the world a coke" TV commercial from the '70's updated with a little " vote for me because I'm cool" ala American Idol. As the man said, "There is no "there", there".

February 19, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  4. Mike in Cleveland

Sounds like a lot of sour grapes, and I didn't come here to gloat either. Bottom line, Hillary Supporters, you guys are just as Liberal or Progressive as the Obama Supporters. Looking at the big picture, McCain doesn't stand for Democratic ideals even though I still respect the man. If you take to heart Hillary possibly losing the nomination, and vote for McCain out of spite, you do nothing but speed up your own defeat and the defeat of Democratic platform. Take some time and ask yourself what is more important, voting for 4 more years of GOP rule and failed policies or drastic improvement of our own country.

Peace

February 19, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  5. Vig

McCain will lose whether it's Hillary or Obama running against him. People are fed up with Republicans and war mongers.

February 19, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  6. Rhino

H.R.C. is the short end of the stick. She does the same thing McCain does feeds into people fears. She should go buy a puppy and be happy.

February 19, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  7. Sam Stone

Worried about Iraq:
    I’m worried about a man (McCain) who has not ever worked in the real world:
    This man has been on the government payroll since he got out of college. Further, McCain has been a Senator for more than 20 years. Where was he when policy to fix this nation was being developed? This man has had plenty of time to effect change and he could not convince 99 other Senator to follow his lead!
    What make you think he can convince 435 Congressmen and 100 Senator to follow him now? McCain need to get a real life and job.

February 19, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  8. Anna

It pains me to say it, but if Obama gets nominated, I will support McCain, and I am not the only one. Most of the democratic base that voted for Clinton will switch as experience is important to them and they are deadly affraid of what Obama might do in his excessive pride and self-love. It is truly horryfying thought to think he might be running our country. It's worse than Bush. Media are pushing Obama because they will love watching McCain devour him. We'll have four more years of Republican rule. I hope Hillary decides to run in four years. That is the only hope. If Obama gets elected to be the president, we'll have four years of Obama mess plus the next 8 years of Republicans. I don't think this country can survive another 12 years of idiocracy. This is the end of America. I am heartbroken.

February 19, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  9. Georgie

In November, all of Obama's young supporters will be onto the next big thing (AMerican Idol, new episodes of Gray's Anatomy, Britney Spears next marriage), and McCain will easily win. It is going to be Kerry fiasco all over.

February 19, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  10. Kurt

All you democrats can do is whine and that is why you can't win elections and bring about changes. I love watcing you whiners talk about jumping ship if your person doesn't get elected.

Democrats, the party of complainers and babies.....

February 19, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  11. mike

hopefully this guy doesn't become our president or else we will be at war for another 4 years. Dumb.

February 19, 2008 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  12. AZ Voter

The kids are voting – great! and they don't need a bitter old man for president who wants to promote more American imperialism – don't we already have more than enough bases in the mid-east. Obama can list the problems but where are his answers??? Guess I'll just have to vote -NONE-OF-THE-ABOVE yet again come November.

February 19, 2008 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  13. Kelly Anne

McCain is a scary little creep.

He also has no ideas and nothing to say.

It's remarkable that he thinks he should just be president because he was a POW. He milks it like Rudy milked 911. But you need a vision. Americans like a real future-looking vision.

No angry old creep like McCain can win. What a joke!

February 19, 2008 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  14. Deborah Williams

I am a registered Democrat and I will not vote for Obama. If it cant be Hillary than I stay home. Shame on CNN Ill never watch your station again. I love you Lou Dobbs.

February 19, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  15. james

McCain will be a train wreck in foreign policy. He's promising to stick to the policies of a man who has made America more hated than any other time in its history. But some people are so ignorant they'd rather vote for a grumpy old hawk than someone who wants to put these ridiculous hate filled policies behind us.

February 19, 2008 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  16. deborah

Where are the educated women, blacks, and men in America? Everyone knows that the political pundits want Obama to run against McCain. The reason being is that they don't want change in Washington. They want McCain and his 100 year war. Let's vote for real change a Female Democrat for President.

February 19, 2008 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  17. Sky

Obama will never be my President. If he gets the nomination I will not only vote for McCain but get actively involved in getting him elected. I live in Miami so as a Democrat my vote didn't count anyway. Obama is the biggest hypocrite I have ever seen,so is his wife by the way. He may become the nominee but he won't beat McCain. If by some slight chance he does make it to the White House all those promise filled words...he will be choking on them. The reason the white guys are voting for Obama is because they will not vote for a woman. They may think differently when the General Election rolls around. All this polarization from the Clinton- Obama campaigns will really divide the party. What coalitions has he cemented? I just saw a big time Senator from Texas going on and on about Obama and when the commentator asked him to name any legislation that Obama has accomplished. HE COULD NOT ANSWER THE QUESTION on National television. WOW! That spoke volumes to me. His supporters aren't even aware of his work as a Senator. This is like a Superbowl

February 19, 2008 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  18. anonymous

WHile i like the high level of interest in the 2008 primaries, I am repulsed by the constant mudsling and promises to vote for the other party if their candidate isn't elected. It's as if we are electing two presidents rather than one.

Besides, we shouldn't be focusing on the other candidates' faults and insulting them. This forum should be for discussing WHY we like our favored candidates, not why we hate the rest of them. You know... like a POLITICAL DEBATE?!?!?!

To justify my point, I will now say why i LIKE my candidate, and not include any mudsling at other ones.

I like Barack Obama because he sems like an able leader. He is (omg) intellectual, charismatic (makes for good diplomacy), and I don't believe that inexperience means anything, because he can always get experienced advisers and cabinet members

February 19, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  19. Arthur

Dee,

good riddance to you both? It's not like voting for someone else makes a person disappear...

February 19, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  20. Monk

I am just amazed at the responses here when this man, Barack Obama is quite possibly our only hope in getting this country back on track from what will go down in history as the worst Presidency of modern times. Hillary is through...get over it folks

February 19, 2008 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  21. Rebecca AZ

John McCain, is a Teddy Roosevelt . He talkes softly and carries a Big stick. Johns wife basically has a beautiful heart. I think she was a big part of starting Doctors without borders. All the Veteran's of all wars will get what they need with McCain as President.

February 19, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  22. anonymous

also, i just realized what the article at the top is about, and am now wondering why i posted a comment like this on an article like that, or for that matter any of us.

I only see a few posts here related to McCain and his view on the war in Iraq

seriously, what's up with that?

February 19, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  23. A.J.

Last time I checked, we are a democracy. As long as the majority of the country votes for Obama, it's fine. Anyway, "Gavin" I think you are probably one of those Cheney-loving "Republicans."

February 19, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  24. Peter V.

The fact of the matter is that our country has been damaged so much during these past 7 years that we desperately need experience over Obama's message of change. Hillary is the most qualified candidate to deal with the war in Iraq, the deficit, and to improve our standings in the world. Obama's speaks about so many nice, wonderful things. What's saying he's going to be able to pull it off with our nation in the state that its in now? Hillary will know how to get things done in Washington. She's a tough fighter.

Hillary '08

February 19, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  25. Marco

I rather vote for change than the early bird special at your local dinner – how many view love your granddad but I do not want him driving my car – he is old – slow to react but I will listen to his advice – I do not want him running the country. Is time to look ahead – technology is the future and John can tell the difference between a blackberry from a blueberry.

Sorry Grandad I do not want you driving my car.

February 19, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |