February 19th, 2008

Exit polls: Obama holds onto his base, makes inroads in Clinton's

(CNN) - In campaign contests so far, Barack Obama has polled the best among black, more wealthy and educated voters and college students, while rival Hillary Clinton has been able to count on women, low-income voters and blue-collar workers.

But in early exit polls tonight, Obama held Clinton to a virtual tie among Wisconsin Democratic primary voters who said they have a union member in their household - 50 percent for Clinton to 49 percent for Obama - and actually edged her among women, 51 percent to 49 percent.

Clinton held a narrow advantage over Obama among Catholic poll respondents - who made up 43 percent of voters interviewed - 51 percent to 48 percent. She also held narrow leads among voters with only a high school education, people 60 or older and those making between $15,000-$30,000 a year.

But Obama kept those margins close and took easy wins among his traditional base of supporters.

Among voters 49 years old and younger he had a significant 64-39 percent advantage over Clinton. College-educated voters, who made up 72 percent of those polled, favored him 59 percent to 39 percent.

Obama had a slight edge among voters who called themselves Democrats - 50 percent to 49 percent - but overwhelmingly topped Clinton among the 27 percent of respondents who called themselves independents, taking 63 percent of their votes to Clinton's 36 percent.

Filed under: Exit Polls • Wisconsin
  1. Jen, New York, NY

Yeah! Now on to TX and OH....

February 19, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  2. Jen, New York, NY

Oh, and more proof that dirty politics no longer ring with the American voters.

February 19, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  3. Carrie

Obama!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YES WE CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 19, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  4. Jerome

I mean what do the critics call this! A fairytale? After all these strong showings and wins! All I can say is the American people are ready to go in a new direction and all Obama haters better come along for the ride.

OBAMA 08

February 19, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  5. Joe

I support Obama! but i want a democrat to win in the general election. If clinton keeps attacking Obama its going to hurt both. I hope they concentrate more on the issues.

February 19, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  6. Roz,

WI, has spoken and joined the movement................GO OBAMA

February 19, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  7. All I wants is Obama

Despite all the negative campaign that Hillary and her supporter have laid against Obama he his still winning big!
    wOW.....Obama for President.

February 19, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  8. Julie in Boston

Give it up, Hillary, carpetbagger and ghostwritten cheater! I hope never to hear your nasally whine in a campaign ad again. Quit now, please!!!!

February 19, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  9. Bill

So how many Republicans are voting for Obama since it's an open primary???? I know am!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO OBAMA!!!!!!!! JUST GLAD WE CAN HELP GET YOU IN SO WE CAN BEAT YOU IN NOV!

February 19, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  10. James in Oregon

YES there is a God and Hillary is not it !

It's a great day for the Democratic Party .

Smart People in Wisconsin

THANK YOU !

February 19, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  11. Judy

CNN, what can't someone post the truth...obama must be paying you to....go ahead delete me....that is fine. He will NEVER win the election in November....if he actually does make to the election.

February 19, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  12. Carla

I am surprised that CNN can predict a close race between Clinton and Obama after only 1% of the votes are counted and 3 minutes after the poles close. Isn't it your business to report the news....not to decide it? I thought that every vote counted....obviously not. Are you turning into Fox news and how they called the 2002 election?

February 19, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  13. Ray - NJ

guess Im voting Republican for the first time ever. I WOULD NEVER VOTE FOR OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 19, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  14. Tabitha

Thank you Wisconsin!
    YES WE CAN!

February 19, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  15. DemFan

It pays to campaign in a state. Now onto Hawaii. Let's go to 10-0 tongiht.

Then keep on meeting and greeting in step to march 4!

February 19, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  16. sboyd

GObama GO!

February 19, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  17. Dee

He won. Yes we can. Thank you Lord. Yes, we can. And for all those who have excuses, this is not an AA state or a caucus. He won fair and square.

Obama 08

February 19, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  18. Dave, Atlanta, GA

Good showing. If he keeps these numbers he can win both OH and TX. A lot of Clinton supporters have portrayed Obama as a candidate who wins only because of African American support but once again, he has done well in a state with only a tiny African American population. Oh, and this was not a caucus state either.

February 19, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  19. Lilarose in Oregon

Sorry Democrats

I am a far far far left Democrat and have been since JFK.

However, I am beginning to listen to McCain's speeches, and if he will work really hard on the environment and say so, that will be my reason to vote for him.

I see NOTHING about Obama that I would vote for, and his wife particularly scares me.

February 19, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  20. John

We really wish you'd STOP PROJECTING WIINERS!!!

It's really irritating. WAIT UNTIL ALL VOTES ARE IN, PLEASE!

February 19, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  21. Stamford

A sad day for the Democratic party.

February 19, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  22. Bruno

Thanks WI

February 19, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  23. JF

Check it out...McCain is already starting his attack on Mr. Lack of experience. I hope all of you that voted for Obama are happy. You did this and in the end...I hope Clinton supporters stay home and let McCain get in. The thought of Obama in charge is scary and Michelle Obama...no comment on that one!!

February 19, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  24. Sarah

Go Obama, lets leave Clinton in the dust and send her packing. At least some people have some sense in Wisconsin.

February 19, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  25. jimhenry

I would vote for Colin Powell not Obama...Sorry I will vote Republican .
    he has no experience and I dont trust him.

February 19, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |