February 20th, 2008

Clinton targets Obama backer's botched interview

CNN

Watch portions of Clinton's speech Wednesday morning.

(CNN) Hillary Clinton and her presidential campaign Wednesday pounced on a recent television interview with a surrogate of Barack Obama who was unable to identify a single accomplishment in the Illinois Democrat's Senate record.

"My good friend Congresswoman Stephanie Tubbs Jones from Ohio represented me on one of the TV programs in the last day or two— some of you may have seen her," Clinton said during a speech at Hunter College in New York City Wednesday. "And she was on against someone representing my opponent and for the first time, actually, the host, asked the representative of my opponent to name one accomplishment."

The interview in question was with Tubbs Jones and Texas State Sen. Kirk Watson on MSNBC Tuesday night. Host Chris Matthews asked Watson, a supporter of Obama, to name the Illinois senator's chief legislative accomplishments.

"Well, I am not going to be able to name you specific items of legislative accomplishment," Watson said.

Asked if it was a problem he was unable to name any of Obama's accomplishments, Watson said, "Well no I don't think it is. Because I think one of the things that Sen. Obama does is he inspires. He's able to lay out a vision, he's able to lay out solutions."

The Clinton campaign called the interview "Must See TV," and e-mailed a clip of it to reporters Wednesday morning - shortly before the New York Democrat mentioned it in her speech.

“That is all we’re asking," Clinton also said of the interview in her speech. "We’re asking to compare our records. We’re asking to compare our years of service. We’re asking to compare our ideas, our solutions."

Also in her speech Wednesday, Clinton maintained her campaign is moving forward.

“It is time to get real, “ Clinton continued, “to get real about how we actually win this election…It is time to move from good words to good works – from sound bites to sound solutions.”

Commenting on Obama's 10 straight victories, Clinton also conceded the Illinois senator "has had a couple of good weeks."

– CNN's Alexander Mooney and Mike Roselli

CNN Election Center: Check out the results from Wisconsin and Hawaii

1. Josie

Senator Obama is a follower not a leader he follows everyone else`s campaign strategies and speeches.And his wife `s statement was director toward White America

February 20, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  2. king

i know you hillary fans are angry.but face it.this is the voters speaking.an it seems to me that her supporters,is as negative as she is.owe an the acomplishment of obama is tha he is goin to be president.deal with it.

February 20, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  3. oh no she didn't

Stop the presses this is big news. Only to a sorry excuse of a campaign. I can see why you are losing.

February 20, 2008 12:25 pm at 12:25 pm |
  4. upset

I think that the America people need to open their eyes! This is history for both Clinton and Obama. But we need a person that can fight for us ALL Hillary Clinton is that person. She has always been proud of her country! unlike MS OBama that just now in her adult life she is proud. Wake people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 20, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  5. Shane, NY

Ok Obama was involved in the Senate's drive for improved border security and immigration reform. In 2005, he co-sponsored the "Secure America and Orderly Immigration Act" introduced by Sen. John McCain(interesting right). I'm just starting, he was also involved in adding three amendments to Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act in 2006. There was "Lugar-Obama" which expands the Nunn-Lugar cooperative threat reduction concept to conventional weapons, including shoulder-fired missiles and anti-personnel mines. There was the "Coburn-Obama Transparency Act" which provided oversight for our government website and where funds were being allocated(keeping them honest). He is a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee which focused on trying to curb wmd's. Obama worked with Russ Feingold to eliminate gifts of travel on corporate jets by lobbyists to members of Congress and require disclosure of bundled campaign contributions under the "Honest Leadership and Open Government Act". Sounds like he is just talking about fighting lobbyist. He also introduced the "Iraq War De-Escalation Act" to put a cap on our troops. He sponsored 2008 Defense Authorization Act which provided safeguards for our disabled veterans(he cares about our troops). So I think we can stop talking about his experience now. Seems like he did a lot in Congress.

February 20, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  6. Nick

I can't think of anything any of them accomplished.
    McCain, Huckabee, Obama, Clinton. And I know Clinton the best out of all of them, having lived in NJ and having to hear the NY news every night.

I don't watch MSNBC though. They're just as bad a Fox News in my opinion.

And besides, how do we know this person who was representing Obama just is supporting Obama because he doesn't like Hillary? I'm sure people out there are voting for a person based on if they like them, or don't like the other.
    And what, it was somebody from Texas? He may not care what Obama has or hasn't done. He may just not like Hillary. And he's worrying about his own state, the Nafta superhighway ring a bell, not a real favorite down there I here.

Maybe it was a bad choice to have somebody from Texas speak for you. But do the candidates choose who they get to have on? Probably not. And regarding election coverage, it was a good idea. They had somebody from Ohio for her, and somebody from Texas for him. And those are the next battle grounds in this primary season. So, they picked somebody based solely on location, and nothing else. Potus 08 does the same thing on XM, talk to governors who are supporting both, and half the time they sound like bumbling baffoons. But they care about their party, and their own state. And really, that's it.

February 20, 2008 12:26 pm at 12:26 pm |
  7. S Williams

All Hillary ever says is

"I fought for this, I fought for that".

Fighting for something is NOT the same as ACCOMPLISHING something. Never once does she site a bill that she sponsored and got pushed through both houses.

Name one bill that she authored, and got it pushed through to become law!!

But I can name quite a few that she voted on that hurt us, such the war, the bankruptcy bill, NAFTA addendums etc.

On top of that, she grandstanded and called Gen Petraeus a liar in front of the entire world!!

And SHE wants to be commander in chief???!!!!!

February 20, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |