February 20th, 2008

Michelle Obama clarifies: I've always loved my country

CNN

Watch Michelle Obama's comments Wednesday.

(CNN) – Michelle Obama said Wednesday she has always loved America, seeking to quell the firestorm over her comment earlier in the week that seemed to suggest she is only now proud to be an American.

"What I was clearly talking about is that I am proud in how Americans are engaging in the political process," Michelle Obama told CNN affiliate WJAR after a campaign event in Providence, Rhode Island. "I mean everyone has said what I said, in that we haven't seen these record numbers of turnouts, people who are paying attention, going to rallies, watching debates.

“For the first time in my lifetime I am seeing people rolling up their sleeves in way that I haven't seen and really trying to figure this out, and that's the source of pride I was talking about," she continued.

On Monday, Michelle Obama told the crowd at a campaign event that "for the first time in my adult life, I am really proud of my country, because it feels like hope is making a comeback… not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change."

That comment immediately drew fire from several conservative talk radio-hosts. John McCain's wife, Cindy McCain, seemed to be responding to the remark when she introduced her husband at a campaign rally Tuesday by saying, "I am proud of my country. I don’t know about you, if you heard those words earlier — I am very proud of my country.”

On Wednesday, Michelle Obama said: "I love my country, and wouldn't be in this if I didn't care deeply and didn't believe that the kind of possibilities I had as a kid should be available to every single child."

Related: Cindy McCain, Michelle Obama in patriotism flap

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Michelle Obama
  1. Aida

CNN continues to print derogatory comments aimed at Hillary, but stops those that speak the truth of their golden child. You are a sad, sad reminder of how the media manipulates the educated into selecting the candidate you choose.

The truth will come out about Barack and Michelle – whether CNN likes it or not.

February 20, 2008 06:03 pm at 6:03 pm |
  2. Bill, St. Paul, MN

Michelle is awesome, that she has to explain to a bunch of "patriots" is a joke. Keep on keeping on, Michelle, we love you up here in MN and understand exactly what you are saying.

February 20, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  3. EBK

OH by the way, if I were Cindy, I wouldn't be making comments. Didn't she get in trouble for stealing!!

February 20, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  4. Mendoza, Lisa

if you are not PROUD to be in this country then why don't you just get up move to Iran or some other country where you can find peace in your heart!

February 20, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  5. Sal in Phoenix

To elizabeth, george washington the successful general that won the war and independence from the brits, as well as being successful in his personal life..I'd say that he had alot of experience, especially for that period of time.

February 20, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  6. sam

He is full of promises, and day dreaming, we need someone who has experience and not one who is still wearing politcal diaper.

February 20, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  7. bo

ha ha ha!!! how funny suddenly all the obama-ers are ready to be cool-minded and see something as blown out of proportion all the while if this had been bill clinton or anyone alse from hillary's camp, they would have been all over it. now they're crying "she's just the spouse, not the candidate" all the while going on and on about bill and chelsea.

once again, the obama's can do no wrong. give me a break – it wasn't a word-slip, it wasn't taken out of context, she's a very eductaed person and she knew EXACTLY what she was saying. the obama's are nothing more than the anti-candidate. far from being FOR something, obama is just AGAINST everything. and you're voting for him for that?

February 20, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  8. Viola P. Austin

Obama keep yours eyes continually focus on God and what he gives you and your wife to say. Do not worry about the comments that the opponets are saying. Pray and let God have there comments and he will work every situation out for you. Just remember to always pray without ceasing. I like the way God works through you, to handle the comments. Just continue to let God speak and use you and your wife. I am praying for you and your family. God will give you favor.

February 20, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  9. Steve

LOL. The repugs and Clintons trying to make something out of this is like throwing a rock at a tank.

February 20, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  10. Mike in Texas

I think it is unfortunate that Mrs. McCain is calling out the opponents wife. I can say that after the last 2 elections and all of the turmoil our country has gone through the past 8 years including an attack on US soil, I am energized and excited about the potential for new ideas and new leadership by the candidates involved. The spouses should stick to the sidelines.

February 20, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  11. MidWest

come on... you guys are telling me you couldn't find a better photo of Michele Obama? Why make her look angry and defensive? Whatever happened to objective reporting?

February 20, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  12. Ed

Much ado about nothing.

February 20, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  13. Me2

When she becomes First Lady, she can say whatever she wants. Entitlement for all!!!

February 20, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  14. JR, Texas

It is interesting to me that the Democrats are so short-sighted. Hillary is the present of the party. Obama is the future. They could be in the White House for the next sixteen years if they played their cards right. Obama is not ready. McCain will eat him up and spit him out. McCain will play dirty as the Republicans do and Obama will lose. Then where will the Democrats be……at least Hillary will be able to say "I told you so".

February 20, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  15. HB

What? What on earth is she trying to say now?

February 20, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  16. Tim T.

Rush abuses prescription drugs illegally and gets no heat. Mrs. Obama says something, and they're all over her like attacking pit bulls. Go figure.

February 20, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  17. Steve

She's a two-faced, forked-tongue, BS-er. Funny; sounds just like her husband....

February 20, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  18. Justin

American have to be blindly pround to be a citizen?! I love the country does NOT mean that I have to be pround of. When it has problems, I would not be pround of it, sometime I have to be shamed with what it did. But I will fix it so that I will be pround of it because I love it so much. Wake up! Most of american are such idios who don't even what they are pround of!

February 20, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  19. Sandy

All lies, just like her husband.

February 20, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  20. Disbeliever

Sorry. Warmed over food isn't as tasty.

February 20, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  21. Brian Tampa, FL

Words count, both good and bad. She is an intelligent women and seemed to know exactly what she was saying. It was not just "conservative talk show hosts" who found the comment disturbing and it did require clarification.

February 20, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  22. akaDoug

I'm gonna vote for Hillary because of this...no wait her husband is an arrogant SOB! I'll vote for McCain because of this...no wait his wife is nothing more than a high maintenance, trophy wife!

After all the number 1 requirement for the president is having a likeable spouse...guess I won't be voting at all this year!

Get really people...Obama in 2008!

February 20, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  23. shawn smith

Do we have to be proud of Abu Ghraib, Guantanamo, torture, secret CIA prisons, renunciation of the Geneva accords, the Iraq war, and the biggest percentage of people without healthcare in the industrialized world to be a patriot? Sorry. I guess I'm not a republican.

February 20, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  24. Ben, MA

If this is all that the anti-Obama people can come up with... he is in good shape.

February 20, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  25. enomisa

What a sham and folly.

Who cares what she said/ meant/ really meant.

What I mean to say is this: My party- the democratic party- has been co-opted by independents and republicans.

THEIR vote in our OPEN primaries sabotaged the vote of the registered members of the party. Why do they get a say in who OUR nominee is?

In some cases, their vote got counted while the votes of the registered party members goes disregarded and uncounted?

When this democracy degrade into 3rd world election stealing and rigging?

The democratic party has truly dug its grave this year.
    Many of these people that jumped on the Obama bandwagon will jump off just as fast, or return to their true party (republican) now that they have succeeded in knocking Hillary out of the race.

Now do you see the game that they played and the card up the sleeve?

February 20, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |