February 20th, 2008

Teamsters union to endorse Obama

The 1.4-million Teamsters union will endorse Sen. Barack Obama, sources tell CNN.

(CNN) - Two Democratic sources tell CNN's Candy Crowley the International Brotherhood of Teamsters will endorse Barack Obama.

The Teamsters represents roughly 1.4 million members, making it one of the largest and influential labor unions.

Obama was endorsed Friday by the Service Employees International Union, the largest union with a membership of 1.5 million.

The Obama campaign also announced that the International Brotherhood of Boilermakers had decided to back the Illinois senator's White House bid.

UPDATE: Obama will meet with Teamsters leader James Hoffa later Wednesday.

Read more here

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Silent no more

That does it for me. I am jumping all over this one. If the teamsters like him then for sure i am going with McCain.

February 20, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  2. Nurses love Obama!!!

Whoever this "AND???" person is, you must be really young. Apparently you arent old enough to vote yet. Dont hate on Obama. He's the real deal. Maybe you should watch the debates and make up your own mind. My dad doesnt think for me. You shouldnt let yours thing for you.

February 20, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  3. mamady sylla (london)

Well done Teamsters.
    The world needs OBAMA as America does.
    Obama is the only one capable to deliver and bring Ameca and the world together.
    OBAMA 08.

February 20, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  4. GOD, HEAVEN

UNIONS ARE GOOD.

CEO's HAVE SINNED AND THEY SHALLT REPENT BEFORE GOD, OR DEAL WITH MINE WRATH OF BRIMSTONE AND FIRE

February 20, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  5. Arthur K

1. McCain is a Maverick who draws support from moderates and independents and needs to work to win over his base.
    2. Obama is the outsider who draws support from moderates and independents but also enjoys the support of his base.
    3. Hillary is an establishment candidate who draws support from the base and would need to work very hard to win over moderates and independents.
    4. This country is not looking for the next president to continue the divisiveness we have seen over the past 8 years.
    5. No matter which candidate is chosen from the left McCain can and will claim they lack experience.

Unless you disagree with one of the statements above you can not possibly believe that Hillary has a chance of beating McCain in November.

February 20, 2008 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  6. justin

How can Union folk even consider Hillary.
    while on the board of Walmart they fought our right to organize tooth and nail. Go OBAMA

February 20, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  7. Debby

All I can say is remember JFK and all his union endorsements and where it got him.

February 20, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  8. NORCALMOM

Wow, I would never follow vote because my Union endorsed someone/something. The Union does not take a vote from the members this is what the Union Heads Want! TEAMSTERS you are smart do what you think is right not what your UNION wants you to. I support Unions, but not them dictating who they think we should vote for kind of like the Media, huh?

February 20, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  9. Gloria, New York

I think Barack is just the man to bring this country into the new millennium and change the course of the nation. I was once a loyal Hillary supporter until I heard Barack speak of change and hope.

Althought I starting reading his book "Audacity of Hope" before he decided to run for president and I was completly taken aback.

Barack has my complet support.

"Yes! we can"

February 20, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  10. bo

yeah, it's easy to endorse someone when they already look like they're going to win. now obama will owe them. politics as usual.

i voted dem in the past, but obama is ridiculous and clueless. mccain's going to get my vote.

February 20, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  11. Edwin

Oh this is SO shocking. The Teamsters are usually SO conservative!

February 20, 2008 05:56 pm at 5:56 pm |