February 20th, 2008

Teamsters union to endorse Obama

The 1.4-million Teamsters union will endorse Sen. Barack Obama, sources tell CNN.

(CNN) - Two Democratic sources tell CNN's Candy Crowley the International Brotherhood of Teamsters will endorse Barack Obama.

The Teamsters represents roughly 1.4 million members, making it one of the largest and influential labor unions.

Obama was endorsed Friday by the Service Employees International Union, the largest union with a membership of 1.5 million.

The Obama campaign also announced that the International Brotherhood of Boilermakers had decided to back the Illinois senator's White House bid.

UPDATE: Obama will meet with Teamsters leader James Hoffa later Wednesday.

Read more here

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. E.L.T. in DC

Marie.. why would Obama be anti-union when he fought for workers' right to organize? It would be contradictory for a civil rights attorney/community activist to be against labor union organization. More to the point, NO UNION WOULD TOUCH HIM WITH A 10-FT POLE IF THAT WERE THE CASE! Think before you SLANDER!

February 20, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  2. OBAMA - mccain

Hilary has done a wonderful job and is a great representative of the Dem's, but that's it. This puppy is over. Nail in the coffin today. McCain vs Obama. Let's get it on !

February 20, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  3. va_

Tell that canadian guy to mind his own countries business... Obama is good for this country.

February 20, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  4. kiziton

It is time for Hillary to give up in order to support Obama for President. Through her consistent attacks, it sounds to us like Hillary is now running for republican party. ....

February 20, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  5. Daniel

I salute to my presedent Barack Obaba!

February 20, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  6. Steven Furtado, Kunkletown PA

Oh dear. Now Hillary better watch out and tone down her insults of Barack Obama or she just might end up in the same place as Jimmy Hoffa.

February 20, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  7. Jim Jones

Teamster's, smeamster's!! Union backing means nothing, it's what their members vote for when they close the curtain. BUT, That's ok, Neither one has a chance, Republicans will remain in the White House. Thank GOD for that!!!!

February 20, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  8. cheryl

Face it once the Clinton machine gets done trying to save this thing by smearing every kind of mud toward Obama.....McCain can just watch it all with a grin and take notes for the national run. The Dem party is going to implode before this is all over because Mr. and Mrs. Clinton will not give up without a very nasty fight.

February 20, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  9. jakarason

Clinton undermine ather opponets from the begging, Now is time to pay the price. and i sure you gonna lose the senate seat trust me.

February 20, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  10. Skuee

Clinton's getting rIZZaped in this fight.

Give up, Hillary.

February 20, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  11. Rudi

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over but expecting to get a different result. Sounds like Hillary and Washington to me. Obama is doing something different, he is actually trying to lift people up. Go Obama.

February 20, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  12. Zach

Another blow the "Back-peddling Express" or aka Hillary Clinton

February 20, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  13. Ms. Mack

If there was some dirt on Obama, I'm sure Mrs. Clinton would have exposed it by now. Hillary is grasping for anything that will get her some attention. Give it up Hillary- It's a done deal!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 20, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  14. marcel weathers

i don't care who wins,i just want a demo in office.hillary is a very smart woman and can do the job.obama is smart and can do the job.therefore their both excellent candidates.clinton is a 2 for 1 deal,and obama offers new and fresh ideas.i'm a black male who voted for bush twice(don't hold it against me).i usally vote dem but i guess i saw something in bush.good luck 2 both dem candi

February 20, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  15. Claudette, TX

When Obama says something or debates something that matters and can show a record of ANYTHING.....then and ONLY then might I consider to vote for a "feel good" and "we need a change" speech giver. He may be a good inspirational speaker...but I'm sure Satan was too, and I'm not willing to sell my soul or my vote for 30 pieces of silver.

NObama '08

February 20, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  16. James, Minneapolis, MN

Hillary is probably now looking join McCain for a VP spot. Obama might as well be running against the both of them. HRC does not care about the DNC it is all about power.

February 20, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  17. kathleen, illinois

Congratulations to Wisconsin voters for doing the
    right thing. Those voters came out in the freezing
    5 degree weather and snow up above their doorways.
    I commend those voters for coming out to vote. I hope
    those same voters come out in November and they
    encourage their friends and family to vote, also. Also
    thanks Hawaii. The pictures of Suzanne Malvau of
    CNN were beautiful and sweet. She is a beautiful lady
    and I loved her clothes. She could sell those Hawaiin shirts to me
    off her back. Hawaiin's were shocked that they had to
    stand in line for 2 hours but they did and voted. Con-
    gratulations Hawaii and Thanks for your American vote.
    Just seeing Suzanne and the backgrounds of Hawaii
    makes me want to go back again and again. I love Hawaii!!!

February 20, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  18. M J

clinton is shelfish, and wants to explore her own political ambition but not for the benefit of this country. the country need a new direction otherwise the republicans will get some grounds...

February 20, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  19. Brenda

O.K. people – this is it. Our chance at a real presidential race where ALL the primaries and caucauses count! Like the old 80's song says "give me something to believe in" .... Obama has, and I say that being a registered Republican! Honestly, what president has ever been able to fulfill all the campaign promises? Even those with all the praised experience haven't been able to do it, not that they did a bad job, they just weren't able to. So I ask, what is the harm in giving a chance to someone who has brought out record breaking numbers of voters? It's something to believe in....... :)

February 20, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  20. Heather Peterson

I don't know about Hillary, but I'm having fun : )

February 20, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  21. marge

ADV February 20th, 2008 1:38 pm ET

Looks like the Republicans will get what they want. I'm with them. McCain in 08!!

I'm not surprised...a vote for Hillary was a vote for Mccain anyways!!!!

February 20, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  22. C.H., Texas

Vince from LA, get real. I am not upset, just disappointed with my democratic party. It's disheartening to see how people can be so blind that "Experience" doesn't matter. I mean common sense tells you that when you go and apply for a top position at any company the first thing they look at is your experience. But I guess in this day and age applying for the most powerful position in this country does not require any. No wonder we're the laughing stock of this world. I know for one thing, if Obama is our nominee I will vote for John McCain in a heartbeat. And I am not alone. Our country is in disarray and we need a true leader to guide us through, not some American Idol protoge!

February 20, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  23. linda shortt

Maybe the unions remember who brought us NAFTA!

I think Hillary supporters could be poor losers???????????

February 20, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  24. Vince, Phoenix

Ouch.... That's GOTTA hurt!!!

February 20, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  25. Jessica

To ADV: I love it. Seeing all these Republicans thinking they are being divisive, crossing party lines to vote Obama in the primaries, only to say that they'll vote McCain in November. Don't they realize that Obama actually has a better chance of beating McCain, especially considering all the independent votes he siphons off both McCain and Clinton? Keep crossing, Republicans - we love your support!

I'm 27 years old and there's been a Bush or Clinton in the White House as either Pres or Vice Pres MY ENTIRE LIFE!!! Let's change up the dance card, America!

Obama 08!