February 20th, 2008

Union coalition weighs Obama nod

(CNN) – On the heels of several major labor endorsements for Barack Obama, the Change To Win coalition – seven unions that represent between five and six million members nationwide – will be considering a possible endorsement of the Illinois senator’s White House bid during a conference call Thursday morning.

A spokeswoman for the group says the leadership will be discussing plans during a 10 a.m. conference call, and may announce their decision as soon as early afternoon.

Change to Win, which broke away from the AFL-CIO after the last election cycle, is led by the heads of its seven member unions and three other labor leaders, including SEIU Secretary-Treasurer Anna Burger.

A majority of the group’s member unions have already backed Obama: the Teamsters – which revealed their support for Obama Wednesday – UNITE Here, the Service Employees International Union and the United Food and Commercial Workers Union. The decision does not need to be unanimous.

The three other unions, which have not endorsed Obama, are the United Brotherhood of Carpenters, Laborers International Union, and United Farm Workers.

United Farm Workers endorsed Hillary Clinton earlier this year. The New York senator has also received nods from several other unions, including the American Federation of State County and Municipal Employees.

–CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

1. JohnS

Indeed, Hillary is looking very, very OLD. This must be taking a toll on her. Regardless, let us read on–
    No Substance to Obama? here is what Shane from NY wrote:

"Ok Obama was involved in the Senate's drive for improved border security and immigration reform. In 2005, he co-sponsored the "Secure America and Orderly Immigration Act" introduced by Sen. John McCain(interesting right). I'm just starting, he was also involved in adding three amendments to Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act in 2006.

There was "Lugar-Obama" which expands the Nunn-Lugar cooperative threat reduction concept to conventional weapons, including shoulder-fired missiles and anti-personnel mines. There was the "Coburn-Obama Transparency Act" which provided oversight for our government website and where funds were being allocated(keeping them honest).

He is a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee which focused on trying to curb wmd's. Obama worked with Russ Feingold to eliminate gifts of travel on corporate jets by lobbyists to members of Congress and require disclosure of bundled campaign contributions under the "Honest Leadership and Open Government Act". Sounds like he is just talking about fighting lobbyist.

He also introduced the "Iraq War De-Escalation Act" to put a cap on our troops. He sponsored 2008 Defense Authorization Act which provided safeguards for our disabled veterans(he cares about our troops). So I think we can stop talking about his experience now. Seems like he did a lot in Congress"

Still ignorant? If so, pleast go the Obama's webpage. With all her years in the Senate, Hillary has not had a single solution to any real needs of this nation!!!

February 20, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  2. Charle

Wow, it's one o'clock in the morning and I just can't stop reading about the elections. I'm inspired too as a Dutchman not even living in the USA. How do you call an Obama supporter who is not a US citizen and doesn't live in the US? I lose sleep, am way behind with my work, I'm about to lose my girlfried because of my Obamadiction :)
    One thing I know, the day this man will be sworn in as the presidentof the USA and the most powerful person in the world the tears will roll down my cheeks just as they did when the Great Nelson Mandela walked through the prisongates, when the walls of Berlin were brought down. That will be a day I will remember for the rest of my life! America, the whole world has it's eyes on you. Give us that young, "no substance, no experience, all hat no cattle, words business" guy, because I am convinced he will freshen us all up and inspire not only the USA butthe whole world to head for a new and prosperous horizon. If you can, we all can believe again in change for the better!!

charle, amsterdam

February 20, 2008 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  3. richard

How inspiring! The most corrupt union in American history (Teamsters) coming out in support of a product of the Chicago Democratic Machine. Now there's change I can believe in!

February 20, 2008 07:23 pm at 7:23 pm |
  4. L L FLORIDA

PLEASE DON'T TELL ME THAT THE "MACHOS" TEAMSTERS DID NOT KNOW ABOUT OBAMA'S GAY SEX AND DRUGS LAWSUIT BY MR. LARRY SINCLAIR.HE IS ACCUSING OBAMA OF BEING A GAY AND CRACK USER AND TAKING AWAY MR. SINCLAIR FREEDOM OF SPEECH. GET INFO TEAMSTERS, JUST GOOGLE THE INTERNET, YOU TUBE, WHITEHOUSE.COM OR JUST READ THE CLEVELAND LEADER. THIS STORY IS SPREADING LIKE A WILDFIRE BOYS AND GIRLS.

February 20, 2008 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  5. Chriss L Pease

Iam a 54 year old female living in Florida,I voted for Hillary thinking that it was going to count.In fact I left work early to do so,it was that important to me.Call me stupid or what ever you would like that living in the usa with tvs radios and newspapers full of information daily that I should of known that It didnt make a differnts if I voted or not since it didnt count so I should of stayed at work and made that extra $1,00 towards paying a bill. Iam very upset and disapointed.Why did we even hold the voteing was it to tease us and the state of Michigan or to punish us ? I feel cheated,robbed left out beause I live in Florida I couldnt go to anouther state and vote it wasnt my decision to hold the voteing early . Thankyou, Chriss P. Winter Haven Fl.

February 20, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  6. gene

I would be surprised if the United Brotherhood of Carpenters endorse Obama. It has a history of endorsing the republican parties candidates. I am glad you mentioned "represents" and not members and their is a big difference. Because that number is big! You have been a little light in the number of Clinton endorsements. State County and Municipal Union might even be as large as the teamsters and they have members in every state. THe Teacher's union is also one great big labor organization and they too have endorsed Hillary Clinton. Their are many United Auto Workers and Machinist Local unions that have endorsedHillary. I request that you check with the AFLCIO and see for yourself. Then maybe you could tout some her endorsement for a sense of fair play.

February 20, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  7. Russell

First of all. I must say, I am Clinton supporter. Obama will say anything to get your vote. If you think as a President he will boss the senior senators and reps around to get what he wants done you are sadly mistaken. He has no experience, and I say this looking at his lack of foreign skills and his poor domestic agenda. The only reason why reporters and news programs are pushing Obama is because John M. will tear jim apart in September. Republicans fear Hillary aqnd know she is John's only equal. The states that Obama clearly won are majority African American. When you look at the last pres. election there was only a 30% or less African American turnout. With Obama the AA turnout is outstanding. Especially in the South. While Hillary has the Super Ds behind her she will win Texas, Wyoming, and least important Vermont. Voters need to separate Bill and Hillary and ignore the Republican propaganda forced on Fox new and MSNBC. Even CNN clearly is showing sides when they shouldn't.

February 20, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  8. Armando

line, seugestgd that Hillary Rodham Clinton might challenge Obama for the 2012 Dem nomination. Now Bernard Goldberg makes this bold statement: I am predicting right here, right now, that Hillary Clinton will run for

February 17, 2012 07:44 am at 7:44 am |
  9. Jerky

Charles is the man. I too check him out all the time. Good to hear you check this litlte blog also, can't compare to LGF but always good to hear.Reply

February 18, 2012 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |