February 21st, 2008

Schneider: Clinton ends on a strong note

AUSTIN, Texas (CNN) - The audience loved Clinton’s first response when asked about a time she had been tested – a deliberately vague answer that drew a knowing laugh from many in the audience.She then laid out a very eloquent response, essentially saying that her crises are nothing compared to the problems average voters confront.It's one of the few debate answers to get a standing ovation.

– CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. John Tilert

I agree with Matthew. Hillary Clinton's final response was eloquent, extremely moving, very human and I think, the most presidential of anything I'd heard all evening. It told me a lot about this lady. I think she hit the ball out of the park!

February 21, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  2. Kyle

I definitely feel like that was her wave goodbye to the Presidential race. She has decided that she will not take Barack out and risk her legacy in the party and in the Senate to win. This last statement was "goodbye".

February 21, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  3. James , in ,Oregon

She knows she is done , she came across like she knows it's almost over.

February 21, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  4. Robert Scofield Columbus, Ohio

Barbara Atlanta, GA haven’t you already voted? It’s our turn to decide!

February 21, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  5. Mohamed Aman

I think she really faked it, this was a fixed answer. that's why I think politics are 70% about media

February 21, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  6. Lee, Charleston, SC

she's trying to play the NH card again...isn't she so sensitive & caring.
    notice how she broke out in the big grin after she was done...not the expression that I would think of after talking about wounded veterans.

go to the "xerox for change" comment to see the real clinton.

February 21, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  7. Carmen

I am an Obama supporter, but I agree that Clinton gave a powerful closing. Very touching and worthy of the standing ovation.

However, I do think throughout the entire debate, Obama sounded more substantive and practical, and gave an overall stronger performance.

February 21, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  8. jacob

hillary scored big at the end but obama scored big the entire debate! TEXAS FOR OBAMA! OBAMA 08'

February 21, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  9. lb

Not to take anything away from the candidates, but the standing ovation was the signal of the end of the debate – it was not for the appreciation of the last statement. Watch again

February 21, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  10. Dona

I am democrat first ,, I like Clinton's view. The latino's are people will emotions and clinton understands them more than Obama... She also cares about americans more than Obama ,, i feel ,, He is good man ,, lots of words ... It definetly takes lime to convert words to action , Hilary you just earned a Vote !!!

February 21, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  11. Teddy

Why are we not discussing the fact that she got "boo'd". The only person to get that response...

February 21, 2008 10:03 pm at 10:03 pm |
  12. Craig

I don't think that any woman has ever had to face the humiliation of an unfaithful spouse placed upon the national and world stage. I think that Senator Clinton displayed grace and courage at what was likely the worst time in her life. I am puzzled by my female friends who have stated that they dislike (or do not respect) Senator Clinton because she did not divorce her husband and state that they believe that she stayed in her marriage only for political gain. I for one admire Senator Clinton and know that she did the right thing because she understands human frailty and has the religious conviction to believe that love conquers all. I was not surprised when she stated that others have had to face greater adversity than she. She is a person of astonishing strength. I wish her only the best in the days ahead.

13. Al

I like them both. But I don't want a president who will stand up and cry when times get tough. I want someone is ready to hash out problems and let people know this is a new day. You get a chance to do things right. I will give you a chance but if you do not follow through, USA will stand up and be counted.

14. S

I agree with Mattew...incredibly presidential, real, extremely moving.
    Keep fighting Hillary.......She has the record, the attitude, the actual plans, and the EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAY TO GO HILLARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Ann

Senator Obama keeps saying how he can cross the aisle. Why doesn't the press ever ask him for a specific example of how he's done that in the center. Hillary is presidential. Obama is his most confident when he is agreeing with Hillary's position. We don't need a yes man in the white house we need a can do lady. Hillary rocked tonight!

16. Allison

Hillary you go, you could have not said it any better. You are so ready to be our President on day one. I support you 100 %

Go Hillary 08

17. RAF

Hillary did end the night on a strong note. However, as a veteran, I am saddened that she used the image of injured soldiers, who were injured in Iraq as a result of her vote to send them there, to score emotional points to improve what was otherwise a weak debate for her.
    She should be ashamed of herself for using that image, and I am deeply saddened that the sacrifice of those soldiers is now being used for political gain by the candidate who voted to send them there in the first place.
    Shame on her

18. Anonymous

While I sympathize with the disabled veterans she referred to in her closing remarks. Reporters should point out that she is part of the cause of their suffering. Her vote abdicating congressional authority to Bush is the reason we are in the Iraqi quagmire.

19. Marie

I still don't like Hillary but she did great on her summation.

20. Marina FL

I also got the impression that she was conceding! "No matter what happens..." She definitely ended on a strong note, but Obama won the debate.

21. Jose

I had been swept up by Obama magic but I am RETHINKING This was the first time in the whole race a candididate focussed on my situation and made me feel someone maybe cared. Thank you Hillary!

22. Rubi

It was the ONLY comment to get a standing O tonight – she was strong, poised and eloquent, as she always is. Amazing.

23. S. Holt

Thank God she didn't CRY. She tries to pull at your heart strings when she feels boxed in. No, this is not Presidential material, this is pulling out your 'lady-soft side' which she doesn't have one. She only plays this empathy card when she needs to, which is alot. Go Obama.

24. Ana Lord

Her last comment was done to get simpathy from people. She knew that talking about our soldiers would create teary eyes in the audience.
    She is a fake.

25. Shuaib Meacham

It is amazing how the same people who have been attacking Obama for his eloquence are now falling all over themselves praising Clinton for hers.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23