February 21st, 2008

Schneider: Clinton ends on a strong note

AUSTIN, Texas (CNN) - The audience loved Clinton’s first response when asked about a time she had been tested – a deliberately vague answer that drew a knowing laugh from many in the audience.She then laid out a very eloquent response, essentially saying that her crises are nothing compared to the problems average voters confront.It's one of the few debate answers to get a standing ovation.

– CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. Janet

That was not a standing ovation for her, the audience was standing and clapping due to it was the end of the debate. If you are going to report the news, please do it honestly. Is this CNN, the Clinton National Network?

2. Ande

Hilary did well, but that was not the question, she should have said how she had been tested. She made a political speech. Be real! She was asked how she had been tested? Barack was honest and answer the question.

This yet another example of his honesty and he will be honest on day one

3. OBAMA MAMA

NO KNOCKOUT PUNCHES FOR HILLARY MAYBE SHE CAN PRAY TO BE ASKED TO JOIN THE TICKET AT THE BOTTOM OF IT.

BARACK AND ROLL IN 2008.

OUR FUTURE IS SO BRIGHT THANKS TO HIM BEING A CANDIDATE THIS YEAR.

4. GO HILLARY

hillary is the only one who will win in november

5. James West

He wasn't on cocain this time. Bet his wife is strung out right now.

6. Sidney

She received the standing ovation AFTER she shook hands with Obama and said what an honor it was to be on stage with him. I'm not so sure the audience was responding to her response on challenges as they were to the notion that there are two phenomenal candidates from which to choose.

7. Julie

Why, oh why, can't Hillary do that more often? Brilliant – absolutely brilliant (just like her!).

The old adage is true - no matter what Hillary did tonight, she would have to perform twice as good to get half the credit. I'm still watching CNNs commentary, and they have yet to hear one single comment on an Obama weak moment.

I saw them – where was CNN??

8. Kevin Zelko

Obama did win Texas.

Which gives him the win he needed...will that be number 11?

9. Joseph Meyers

I think Obama would do better as white house press secretary for the Bush white house . He is a prime example of saying what ever is convenient and self promoting.

10. Dave. San Diego, CA

(superdelegates) "Obama has given them approximately $700,000 ".

What's really funny with this statement is Hillary Clinton was a recipient of some of those funds you are talking about.

Hillary LOST Texas and Ohio tonight.

11. Sheldon Carter

Mary, your words, "Her voice showed emotion with a slight tremor in her voice", coupled with the tears in her eyes constitutes CRYING!!!!

12. J. Perez

Senator Hillary R. Clinton I feel was the real Winner tonight. She is ready to be our next Commander in Chief and will beat the Republican Party in November. I was moved to tears with her eloquent words and the end. I felt that she connects to the people and speaks from the Heart. I don't want a change we can believe in, I want someone who is going to speak and help the people of America. Hillary Clinton has the experience needed to take office and get things done from day one. Go Senator Hillary Clinton.

J. Perez
    Mission, Texas

13. Leigh Ann Marshall

She gave him the bait to go negative, he didn't take it. She ridiculed him and his base, he stayed on his message. She gave a decent closing response, but at the end of the day, she couldn't knock him down. She's not getting my vote.

14. Troy

The standing ovation was an ending to the debate and it was intended for both candidates

15. sam

great debate either one will make a great president i perfer hillary clinton first for eight years then we will put obama in the white house for eight years we have two great leaders how lucky we are to have these great leaders dream team ahead?

16. TVR

I believe that this was her best moment. I'm just glad that she didn't cry. I think she does much better when she shows a little more humanity.

17. Hey

She just looks smug and phony. She looks down on the people. She is no better than the rest of us.

18. Anonymous

I felt that Hillary Clinton's last comment on her moment of crisis was completely cheesy, and not at all personal or authentic. I don't think she knows how to connect with voters in any real or personal way, like Obama does, and chose to exploit a tragic image rather than drawing on something substantive.

19. Iris

Exactly Troy. Clinton is the biggest hypocrite! Even her husband has lost faith in her.

20. Jema

After barely making it through the debate, Hillary needed to close strong. Unfortunately, the goal was for her to knock him down and she did not do that. Barack held his own and has continued to grow through each debate. I used to like Hillary; but for the life of me I can't recall one piece of legislation that she has sponsered or co-sponsered as a Senator. Not what she did as First Lady, but anything she has done as an elected official. Barack is not an empty suit; his suits just don't fit like everybody else's.

21. Paula Moreno

Tejanos aren't stupid – Clinton says what she thinks we want to hear. She's trying to woo people with emotional stories. She's an emotionless stone.

Obama was strong the ENTIRE debate. He'll be the MOST Diplomatic President we've had in over 20 years (before demonic Reganomics I mean).

22. Jose

Am I wrong but was Clinton asked to answer questions first much more often than Obama? In a way, it can be helpful to respond to an answer but also taking the lead on an answer can be beneficial.

23. Martin Howell

Bill,
    Could the standing ovation have been for both candidates, since the debate ended immediately after she spoke? Pay more attention or start paying me to do it for you.

24. Sandra

If the last comment of the night is the reason she wins Texas, all
    I can say is, Good Luck America you are going to need it.

25. Rose A.

My candidate was Hilary, but after watching this debate I see that they are really similar in their view points. I think it is a loss to America not have both of them unite and run as president and VP.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23