February 21st, 2008

Schneider: Clinton ends on a strong note

AUSTIN, Texas (CNN) - The audience loved Clinton’s first response when asked about a time she had been tested – a deliberately vague answer that drew a knowing laugh from many in the audience.She then laid out a very eloquent response, essentially saying that her crises are nothing compared to the problems average voters confront.It's one of the few debate answers to get a standing ovation.

– CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. Opradone

i am from Illinois and I have been listening to Obama's brilliant oratory since he was running for the senatorial job from our state. He is an amazing speaker, I just wish his actions spoke louder than his words. I cannot honestly say that he has done anything stupendous as a senator from our state. You want to be a believer because he speaks so enthusiastically, but you just can't find any substance, no action. I am a disappointed former Obama supporter who is going to be looking elsewhere for someone who can actually deliver. We need more than rhetoric to solve the problems that are facing most Americans!!

February 21, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  2. ann

If Hillary isn't the Democratic candidate, I will vote for McCain. She is by far more prepared to run this country than Obama and deserves the nomination.

February 21, 2008 10:07 pm at 10:07 pm |
  3. Jack

I was a soldier. I fought in Iraq. She has had everything handed to her her entire life. She has no close family members in the war. I've lost friends. I've had friedns lose limbs. Where does she get off using there suffering to help her campaign. She voted to send us there. SHe has the same blood on her hands a Bush

4. Huh

"No matter what happens we're going to be friends."

Sounded like a concession speech, and her making up so that she can gracefully accept the VP position.

5. Jing Tam

The media is is helping the weak to get even with the strong. At the end, it woke up and it get a speech writer with little experience as their president. Now it got worried...

6. Teresa

She ended on a strong note...but she evaded the question.

7. Tom

I thought the standing ovation was for both candidates at the end of the debate.

8. Frank

It is funny that Hillary supporters are now impressed with Hillary's closing WORDS....after all they are just words right? haha. Anyway her closing speech was great, but Obama is still the superior candidate.

Obama for President

9. tc

Does one question mean you automatically win the state? I think not. People must believe in you and believe in change... not the same old same old. Great leaders (President) must be able to motivate the American people and Congress...

10. Dave from NEW YORK

i thought Hillary Clinton really showed coviction in what she stands for in all the issues ... and she will stand up for all of us directly EVERYWHERE ... i felt she was talking to Me ... THANKYOU ! .. i cant say the same for Obama ....

11. Mike D

This is the talk of a lady grabing for straws.Sen. Obama is talking about CHANGE. This is what ALL American NEED!!!

12. ronridino

Another desperate act @ the end for Hillary. First of all the standing ovation was not just for Hillary, IT WAS FOR BOTH....WATCH IT AGAIN!!! All I got was that she basically was conceding that Obama was on his way to the nomination and desperatly seeking affirmation. Her final words are words that anyone with a soul would and should feel! GIVE ME A BREAK

Ron R

13. Patty

I agree – her last statement was good but it sounded like a concession.

14. James

Obama is obviously an actor he is all talk and no action. Hillary is a problem solver she she won an Academy Award for her book it takes a village and that was no act!!!!!

15. Kat

Unlike everyone else I guess I was simply disgusted by her answer. She was appealing to people through injured soldiers... men and women who lost their limbs in a war she voted to pursue. I thought the tactic of talking about those who proudly limped in and those who came in on gurneys... well it was a direct emotional appeal and I'm sorry but it was a last ditch effort in a debate she very clearly lost.

You only have to look at her other points of essentially petty arguments throughout the debate to negate her well acted humane moment. Those people were standing out of respect for our soldiers. Period.

16. Yolanda Diaz

It was great, wow, go Hillary go

17. Poli

The remainder of the 1,600 seats, most of which were controlled by the Democratic party, were distributed by invitation only.

They were probably mostly Clinton supporters anyway – big deal. Yep, one "eloquent" sound bite wins the debate. Go figure.

18. SD

That was a good final answer, but overall Obama did much better in the debate than most people expected. He may have actually won the debate ....

I'm surprised when people say comments like the proposals are only talk ..... both sides have detailed proposals .. you don't run for president without having details on hundreds of issues, even though they may be prepared by your aides !!!!
    The real difference is whose interests they have in mind ...

19. lauren

She may hae had a strong ending inthe debate, but she was definitley the weaker candidate for the majority of the debate

20. David W. Cooper

Hillary ...WON .... end of story

21. Anne

I must say they Clinton really impressed me.. although it was plain to see... she says what we want to HEAR.. she is a professional politician and thats that! We need to remember that when we cast our votes.

22. brent

If she takes the next three states, which she is still in the lead, she has a real chance to turn the tide. I am not saying it is going to happen, but if the press wants a real fight, they will make it one. The press has been hugely responsible for obama's ascent.

23. OBAMA 08

Schneider that was not a victory. That was a concession. She was as gracious as she can be.

24. Doug

Why does Obama keep sticking his finger up to interrupt? Any why does CNN let him?

25. Kevin Ardery

It is a crying shame when we have twi so-called CNN journalists asking the same old, tired questions from the previous 18 debates. Their follow-up questions were weak and non-consequential. I could ask better questions in my sleep!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23