February 21st, 2008

Schneider: Clinton ends on a strong note

AUSTIN, Texas (CNN) - The audience loved Clinton’s first response when asked about a time she had been tested – a deliberately vague answer that drew a knowing laugh from many in the audience.She then laid out a very eloquent response, essentially saying that her crises are nothing compared to the problems average voters confront.It's one of the few debate answers to get a standing ovation.

– CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. Murray

Watching from Canada with great facination, everyone on Anderson Cooper's panel seem to think it was a draw. I strongly disagree, as someone with no stake in the outcome, observing objectively, it was Clinton in my eyes who appeared as the obvious potential leader. Obama stumbled with basic words, Clinton was a clear and pointed oratator with real substance. I kind of see now how the Clinton camp is not only fighting Obama, but the media as well.
    Clinton won this debate hands down.

2. Tommi

Thanks Anderson..You are doing well by me so far tonite..stay moderate and don't attack the Lady.

3. brian

Hillary CAN NOT beat McCain..

Both clinton's and Obama's positions are relatively the same.
    Except for the fact that people hate clinton and will not work with her, nor will she work with them. Clinton can not admit to ever making a mistake or being wrong. Even when asked about the vote to go to war, she still will not admit it was a mistake.

Obama is the only chance for the Democrats to win this election.

And if the Super Delegates go against the popular vote – it will permanently fracture the Democratic party. People are finally getting involved and excited about making a difference and if the "super Delegates" slam the door on this, it will devastate the entire party.

4. Melissa

Senator Clinton offered a beautiful closing remark, BUT Senator Obama gets my $$ contribution and vote.

5. Mimi

Obama cult, just give it a break.

Obama is genuine?
    None of the words come out of his mouth are his own!

Wake up.

6. Tony

Hilliary definitely has the most substance to offer. Obama is a smart young guy in Washington, but there are allot of smart young people in Washington. It does not mean all of them should run for president does it?

7. Iris

Bush, Clinton, Bush, Clinton...come on can we please get over these 2 families

8. joseph

She lost hands down. Theirs really no contest, she cant hold a candle to his charm. She loses.

9. Serge in Miami,FL

I viewed Hillary as the weaker of the 2 candidates. She avoided questions and continued to only speak about herself... Count how many times she used the word "I"... too much ego and pompous rhetoric from her. Obama is the stronger candidate.

10. manchester

Isn't it interesting that going negative no longer works in this campaign? That was perhaps the most interesting dynamic tonight. It is like the rules have changed. I think that is an important development and a direct result of Obama's approach and force of personality. I also think it will wreak havoc on the republican strategy if he is the Dem nominee.

11. FM

Did anyone notice that it was the END of the debate, and maybe that's why people stood up? It's all timing folk. She tanked seriously, only coming up for air on the last comment. She smirked her way through that debate. She clearly not an orator.

12. mary

You go GIRL!!!!!! Hilary all the way!!!!

13. d

Her ending respons was good, yes, but she's had years of opportunities to rehearse that response. Close call, they were similar, but Obama still has an edge of being able to be a bit more in touch with the average person, and Clinton is too close to the status quo.

14. Anne

fabulous! That's our girl! We love you Hillary!

15. KC in Ohio

Hillary gave a closing that was good. I thought she was going to cry but she pulled it together. I'm happy for her. However, I believe her last statement sounded like defeat. Obama was stronger in this debate than I've ever seen him. To me, watching him debate is like watching your favorite basketball team at the foul line to shoot free throws to win the game and you know the strongest foul shooter isn't shooting. But with a little practice, they just might be decent. Barack looked very Presidential tonight and I hope the people of Texas aren't duped by another Hillary emotional moment.

16. Jason and Donelle

I am so sorry, but Hilary's closing comment was so glaringly disengenuous I can't believe some of you can't see through it. Her crises don't compare to the average American? How many of us have been internationally humiliated and had to stand by our cheating spouse during his impeachment process? That has to be one of the most difficult trials a human being can go through, and to minimize that shows me her truest character flaw- putting politics above authenticity.

February 21, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  17. TXMom

I always wanted a Hillary/Ann ticket. Ah well, I'm sure Ann is looking down proudly at Hill right now.

Like Ann, Hillary walks her talk and you've got to respect both of them for that.

I'm sorry, I like BO, but I think we've had quite enough of those who consider themselves the 'annointed one'. We need someone who can roll up their sleeves and help clean up this mess and I believe Hillary has proven she is the right person for the job.

February 21, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  18. Calan DeWald

...and I'm so sick of hearing "we need change"...I hope after this campaign ends i never hear the word change again. Why does Obama own the word "change", a change would be to have a democrat in office, either candidate is an equally large change in our government. I hate how all the Obama chasers say "don't vote Hillary! we need change!"

Unless Barack has some plan to provide Americans with plenty of quarters, nickels, dimes and pennies....he doesn't have a plan for "change" any more so than Hillary.

February 21, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  19. drew

This article is a misrepresentation. The standing ovation it reports was not solely directed towards Senator Clinton. Both Obama and Clinton were being recognized following their final statements. The standing ovation was in acknowledgment of both candidates as the entire debate was complete.

February 21, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  20. Irishspacemonk

Wasn't the standing ovation for both debaters????? Go Obama!!

February 21, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  21. MARIA IN TEXAS

The standing O was for the debate being over and because she shook his hand like she was finally admitting he is going to be the nominee. She might be able to make his short list for Vice President. "Whatever happens she will be fine?" That tells us has has come to the realization she is out of cash and gas and that Barack is on top. good news is she wont drag the party down and it was her best moment.

PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA NOW THAT HAS A GREAT RING TO IT!!

HE WILL BE GETTING MY LATINA VOTE IN TEXAS AND I WILL ALSO BE AT THE CAUCUS FOR HIM..

February 21, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  22. E Lee

I think she let loose and showed her true feelings about wanting to help and I think she can do it! Go Hillary!!!!!! I find Obama great and rhetoric and pontificating with an impressive voice but that doesn't mean diddly when it comes down to the ability to do the job!

As for the healthcare, I grew up a military brat and I now have the big HMO Kaiser. Give me the care that Congress gets at the military hospitals over Kaiser any day.

February 21, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  23. Jordan Fitzpatrick

The ovation was clearly for both candidates and signaled the end of the debate.

February 21, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  24. Tim

CNN made sure that Obama talked 70% of the time. That was poorly moderated. And, I bet you won't post this, either!

February 21, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |
  25. HKS

Like they both said...whatever happens, we will be so lucky just to have the Democrats back in the White House!!! Hillary does have more experience, but Barack has more charisma...let's just hope that he really will put action behind those inspirational words, if he's elected. I would prefer Clinton, but would be happy with Obama. This race has been very interesting though...she could very well come from behind, & take the prize. It wouldn't surprise me a bit.

February 21, 2008 10:11 pm at 10:11 pm |