February 21st, 2008

Schneider: Clinton ends on a strong note

AUSTIN, Texas (CNN) - The audience loved Clinton’s first response when asked about a time she had been tested – a deliberately vague answer that drew a knowing laugh from many in the audience.She then laid out a very eloquent response, essentially saying that her crises are nothing compared to the problems average voters confront.It's one of the few debate answers to get a standing ovation.

– CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. Lisa in Houston, Tx

Way to go Hill. Experience not empty rhetoric. Change, Change, Change...Senator Obama keep your change, I want the whole dollar. Hillary '08.

2. R. Fogle Houston, TX

I thought her ending line was hokey and pre-planned. She didn't do anything in the debate to set her above Obama and to overcome his momentum.

3. GL

Obama never attacked her, she attacked him, and he had many opportunities to attack and did not. My god, he is a different type of politician. He probably will bring a new type of politics to Washington.

4. Sunny Young

I think she has done a wonderful job as a woman in a man's world. When clinton becomes emotional, people will probably be saying she such a girl. when she is a strong woman, nobody likes her. You go girl!!

5. S.A.

Hillary knows Obama is connecting to America better. I appreciate her positive closing and acknowlegement of Obama. Hillary let American know she will be just fine.

6. Pantsuit Lady

I hope that was her concession speech, because I'm tired of Charlie Brown's mother... wah wah wah blah blah blah blah

7. Avis C, Richton Park,IL

The sad thing is it was at the end. Hellooooo she tanked on the rest of the debate! And she wanted to do this again in Wisconsin? Why? Seems she didn't say anything different.

8. Dustin, NC

I don't believe that the standing ovation was for Clinton's remarks per se. It was the end of the debate, everyone was fired up, and she landed a good hit. However, I think the standing ovation was more for the debate as a whole, shared by both senators.

9. Alissa

i couldn't tell if it was a standing ovation because of her answer or because the debate was over and they were giving the ovation to both candidates. it looked strongly like the latter.

10. ME

When Obama was asked name your most critical/difficult moment – he had nothing – his whole life??? What is that about? Again, no substance. He can't name on moment where he stood up against all odds for what he believed in and made a stand? I can't believe it – where has he been? What has he experienced? Nothing!

Yet Hillary – has met challenges – plenty!!! Who do you want running this country! She got the substance!!! GO HILLARY!!! You GO GIRL!

11. Powell

i thoughtshe was gonna cry again.

was the standing o for her.... or for the debate in general?

12. Willie

Clinton was awesome!!! That closing statement almost made me cry. That was beautiful!!!

13. Annabell

it was really strange how she kept debating about healthcare through out the entire debate and its like at the end she tells you something else. she is doing the SAME EXACT THING that bush did. to have more of what the voters and people think and have their word in it. but has that happend? no. how do we believe that she won't? she is in this campaign and keeps enforcing that she has more experience but its mostly her HUSBAND'S experience, not hers. obama has a totally different outlook and he believes in an idea that would change everything bush did because he is NOT repeating what bush said.

14. teferet

Moving speech? Those were just words, and words don't matter. It was her goodbye speech to the American people. Very Evita.

15. Mom of 4

Is Schneider wearing a Clinton campaign button? Give me a break, and concede a Clinton defeat here also.

February 21, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  16. Tempered

She definitely "won" the final question - and maybe saved her Texas campaign in the process??

The real question is: will they and their supporters really be able to stand *united* behind whichever candidate ultimately gets the nomination? That is my concern. Her answer to this question (genuine or not, I don't know) went a long way to making me feel for that first time in a long time that we may have a reunited Democratic party in the fall.

Let's hope all the Clinton and Obama supporters can pull together in the end.

February 21, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  17. Staci

Hell, yeah she did!

February 21, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  18. Debbie from Ft Lauderdale

I think they would make a dynamite team. Would it work?

February 21, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  19. dee

Hillary rocked!!!

February 21, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  20. Patrick

It sounded almost like a concession to me, like she was having a lightbulb moment and realizing that it isn't her time.

February 21, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  21. Sheldon Carter

Please people, stop with the she finished on a strong note crap. The people at the debate rose to their feet ONLY because the debate was over, not because of her comments. Sorry to burst the bubbles of all the pundits.

February 21, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  22. Melissa

This is the Hillary that we need to see! I will work very hard to get her votes from West Virginia!! Great, I loved it!

February 21, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  23. J.N.

The debate was over, the standing ovation was for THE debate, not for Hillary.

February 21, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  24. Brian

No, Obama has Texas and Ohio. They see past Hillary for who she is. Just look at Baracks website and you'll find the issues... the substance, its been there for months. Clinton even has used some of it to modify her plan to appeal to the things the voters will be talking about. She's a tactical snake, but we see her for who she is. Obama will have Ohio, Texas, Pennsylvania, and Rhode Island. She won't take her hint and try to buy her way to the convention. You owe me a dollar if I'm right.

February 21, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  25. p montoya

I believe that the standing ovation was for both candidates.

February 21, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |