February 21st, 2008

Schneider: Clinton ends on a strong note

AUSTIN, Texas (CNN) - The audience loved Clinton’s first response when asked about a time she had been tested – a deliberately vague answer that drew a knowing laugh from many in the audience.She then laid out a very eloquent response, essentially saying that her crises are nothing compared to the problems average voters confront.It's one of the few debate answers to get a standing ovation.

– CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. Bobbie, Tx

You go Girl! What an awesome closing statement. A standing ovation...enough said!

2. Trudy

Hillary represent EXPERIENCE and that what we need following the mess made my the Republican President Bush.

3. RONALD

Her close was strong, but if you score a touchdown in the closing seconds of a game and the other team is up 35 points, does it matter?

4. Allison R.

It appeared to me as though the standing ovation was to mark the end of the debate, not Clinton's response.
    And her deliberately vague answer seemed to be a theme to questions she didn't want to answer. Is it just me or does she really like to avoid?

5. andrea

she's best when she fights back - c'mon girl - stop sitting back

6. maria h.

I totally agree that Senator Clinton was much more Presidential during the entire debate- as per her usual. Her closing remarks about being personally tested nearly brought me to tears- and if people don't vote for her after tonight- I just don't know what they can be thinking.

7. teresa mason

Hillary will be the next president of the USA

8. DeniseGA

The standing ovation was for the end of the debate. Hello were you paying attention!

9. John, TX

Sounded as if Clinton was conceding at the end. She knows that her time is up.

10. Staci

She just won Texas with that closing. Obama go home!

11. C. J.

I just can't get Obama. His speaches are, indeed, insprirational, but he continues to display very little substance. To me, he might be a viable candidate in six or eight years. We need someone with a little more gravitas - and that's Hillary. The ideal ticket? Hillary/Obama. I think that might be a winning combination.

12. Isabella, California

"standing ovation. She just won Texas", I really doubt it.

13. Lee

Absolutely incredible ending by Hillary. She showed true humility and a true understanding of what Americans have faced in the past 7 years. She truly understand America. She will be a leader we KNOW will work for our best interest.

She ROCKED – she is a fighter and will fight for universal health care – she is couragous and will not let the American people down.

Vote for Hillary! Latinos unite for the good of America.

14. neightbor

She saved the best to the last, though I am a obama supporter

15. Donavon

lol, that last speech sounded like she conceded

16. Hal

David Gergen "I dont think she stoped his momentum tonight" CNN "She stumbled at one moment, especially on health care. David Gergen former advisor to the Clintons. CNN

Obama clearly won this and she was not able to attack and stop him, instead was booed for clearly using plaigerizing as a tool.

17. Emily

Did she cry, I thought I saw a tear?? That was all she needed to do to seal her votes in Texas. Perfect ending, choking up and showing her "soft" side. I didn't buy it. Not a word. She is a driven woman, dangerous stuff. She is also being driven by a husband that is even more ambitious. I cannot feel sorry for her. They deserve eachother. They are not genuine people. They a political hacks and I feel it is dangerous to have these folks leading our country and the world.

18. Haden

I hope Hillary doesn't win the nomination. Republicans will come out in drove to vote against her. Most democrats I know think she is a perfect example of the current Democratic legislature which has been eager to succumb to the whims of the Republican Party on Iraq, the Environment (drilling in Alaska, Endangered Species), and just about everything else. Obama may not be any better, but I know what I am getting with Hillary. With Obama, I can at least hope he will be better.

19. Liz, Carbondale, IL

I thought that the audience was just standing to indicate that the debate was over. Audiences usually stand up when an event ends, particularly a widely televised one such as this. I didn't really find this moment to be that significant. Each person's respective enthusiasts will probably think his/her candidate was the winner. Obama looked very presidential.

20. kathleen, illinois

You know, I am not voting for Hillary, but I believe
    that she was elequent when answering that question.

Obama 2008

21. Staci

Texas, you know what you have to do!

February 21, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  22. JohnS

Yes, Hillary eneded on an another "crying" or rather teary note. When is this baby-stuff going to end?

February 21, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  23. Ricardo, San Antonio

what an amazing closing for Sen Clinton.... I like both but today I saw who is really ready and has the solutions for all of us....her name is Hillary Clinton.

February 21, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  24. park more, New Orleans

She was excellent. The CNN best political team should change. Why CNN political team is against Hillary.......What a jalousie....you are not real

She will win

February 21, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  25. Angela

When you get the chance, read both Sen. Obama's and Sen. Clinton's books (Dreams from my Father and It Takes A Village..). You'll see a huge difference between the candidates. Sen. Clinton writes like people say Sen. Obama speaks and vice versa. I was a Republican before, now I'm voting democratic for the primary, and, if Obama wins the nomination, I'll vote democratic in the general election.

February 21, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |