February 21st, 2008

Schneider: Clinton ends on a strong note

AUSTIN, Texas (CNN) - The audience loved Clinton’s first response when asked about a time she had been tested – a deliberately vague answer that drew a knowing laugh from many in the audience.She then laid out a very eloquent response, essentially saying that her crises are nothing compared to the problems average voters confront.It's one of the few debate answers to get a standing ovation.

– CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. Zion

Could the audience have been standing because the debate was OVER.... Hiliary showed her true colors when she threw her trantrum over the healthcare question and behaved rudely concerning foreign affairs.

February 21, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  2. Dr. Anthony Malzan

Senator Obama made a colossal mistake (colossal taking into account the position he is aspiring to) by claming (right in his first intervention) that US exported many jobs to China because of NAFTA .
    Interestingly, nobody from the distinguished CNN political team asked him to elaborate on how the North American Free Trade Agreement can be a cause of exporting jobs to China.
    Who was more amateurish here?

February 21, 2008 09:59 pm at 9:59 pm |
  3. VA

GIVE ME A BREAK....ANYONE THAT WENT THROUGH WHAT BILL DID TO HER HAS ALL THE COMEBACK ANSWERS..YOU CAN BET ON IT.......I AM A DEMOCRAT AND SHE HAS HAD YEARS TO PERFECT THEM........ BUT IF SHE IS LUCKY AND GETS THE NOMINEEE..I AM VOTING REPUBLICAN!!!!!!

4. Adam Z.

I don't believe the standing ovation was due so much to what she said as it was from seeing both of the candidates shake hands and agree they had a mutual respect for one another.

5. Luke

CNN DONT LIE! She did not receive a standing ovation – it was the END of the debate!

6. Benjamin

I was thinking the standing-o was for the close of the debate...not just for Hillary...

7. Robert

I like what she had to say, but let's be honest, the standing ovation was for both of them – it was the end of the debate. When a great event ends, you stand and clap, she just helped that normal effect along in a very eloquent way.

8. ready

Future president, go Hillary

9. HillarySkeptic

Though Obama has little record to stand behind ,it seems Clinton has too MUCH record.She's been desensitized to the average Joe.Obama has not been corrupted yet.A country that craves style like America could never be happy with A president Like hillary

10. Evan Tribley Columbus, OH

She deflected the question like she had so many more.

The real thing you can take out of it is what she said. While she campaigns she talk about how he isn't ready, he doesn't have the stuff, etc. and then she says in the debate WHOEVER wins we will be fine.

She says one things while campaigning and another while debating.

11. carmen

Well, she is a better actress. But watch out!

12. Margie Miller

Hillary Clinton really scored here. Barack used this opportunity to talk about learning the lesson of taking personal responsibility for his actions and decisions in his youth.

Hillary..on the other hand...showed real political courage and sensitivity to others in her final answer. She could have used that opportunity to draw sympathy to herself but chose instead to take the high road.

13. I don't get it

What struck me most when Hillary was getting the standing ovation, Obama instead of acknowledging it, kept mouthing something like "is it time for a break", kept trying to get up and move away.

14. Jim Wagner

I am so proud of Hillary, yes she is human and does have feelings, and she will be alright whoever wins (and doesn't wind up indicted) she is rich, has a bright daughter who obviously loves her, and a great career.

He on the other hand will never get my Democratic vote.

15. Theresa

I think Sen. Clinton's answers were solid, full of substance, and clearly about the American people. If I hear Sen. Obama start one more response with " I agree with Sen. Clinton" then talk his retoric, I will fall asleep. I think he stuttered through any answer he actually had to think about. Her final response to the final question swelled my heart, especially since I am the spouse of a soldier.

16. John McClown

I think Hillary was at the end acknowledging the fact that she knows she won't win.

It's too bad she marred the night with cheap and nasty attacks. I think she's hurt her legacy when she returns to the Senate or perhaps retires to enjoy her millions.

17. Politically Speaking

I think the audience actually were gving a standing ovation more so because it was the close of the debate...lol. I honestly believe some thought it was that time to stand and clap.

Regardless....good response from Clinton.

Obama '08

18. NotanObamaFan

Get a grip Hillary fans....that standing ovation was for both of the candidates, not her....geesh!

19. jarred

HILLARY WINS AGAIN!!!!!!!

20. Andrea

I think the standing ovation should be to both

Thank God for her parting words anyway, as she would be a sitting duck. As she lost miserably!

21. joe

Obama may have been strong in some areas but he was not strong throughout the entire debate. Neither was Hillary but I believe she was stronger throughout the entire debate, and proves she has the knowledge to be the next President.

22. elgin

SHE ROCKED THE CITY OF AUSTIN

23. Laura

Hillary IS Presidential, there's not a scenario that we might go thorough after Bush leaves office that SHE hasn't worked out for US.

24. JC

Go Hillary!!!

25. Jayhawker

Hillary's closing comments were her highlights of this debate...she just said that what she said to make her self feel better and also make up for her xerox comment...becuase after she said it she knew she should not have

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23