February 21st, 2008

Schneider: Clinton, Obama share stage, but no embrace

Sens. Obama and Clinton greet the audience before Thursday night's debate.
Sens. Obama and Clinton greet the audience before Thursday night's debate.

AUSTIN, Texas (CNN) - Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama just took the debate stage and the two barely acknowledged each other. I didn’t even see them shake hands. It's a far cry from the Los Angeles debate when the two held a long embrace. Is this a sign of what's to come?

We'll find out.

– CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. Njoh Njoh

Obama 08
    These guys are brilliant 2nite I wish they run the white house 2gether

February 21, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  2. CMR

I agree. Hillary's necklace and collar do look like an insect's antennae. Where were her advisor's before she took the stage?

February 21, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  3. inequality

Clinton sounds so much more presidential.

February 21, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  4. PAT

Anyone who heard the opening statements has to agree that Senator Clinton is so much more intelligent and has done so much more for this country – to even consider choosing Obama over Clinton is just unbelievable.

February 21, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  5. Cindy

I'm not listening to the debate.. just reading these off the wall comments in here... crazy.

Any fireworks yet? Is Hillary attacking, or playing nice?

February 21, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  6. Jeff

She might need to cry on the debate...

February 21, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  7. Leslie

It's time for the party to unite. Although I'm an Obama supporter, I always said that I would vote for Hillary if she won the nomination. Rather than snipe at each other, let's focus on winning back the White House. The discourse is getting really petty. If Hillary doesn't get the nomination, her supporters need to get serious about supporting Obama. I'm tired of reading about how he has no substance-a Harvard graduate and professor of law at one of the nations top law schools-he is no light weight.

February 21, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  8. dk

I love the way he said,I would go one step ahead and be proactive and re-brand America...he is ready to talk with other leaders..

February 21, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  9. Edwin Portland

The Hillary supporters are mean, attacking, and misinformed. Much like the candidate that they support.

February 21, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  10. Dia

Wow. It's bashing party against Obama, here. It will take more to take him down.

February 21, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  11. Sadie80

It's obvious No one really pays attention to the Kennedys anymore!

GO HILLARY!!!

February 21, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  12. inequality

haha its funny to see all the Obamaphiles commenting on HRC people on this blog. Remember it was the Obamaphiles who started this hate attack against Hillary. So be ready to taste your own medicine.

February 21, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  13. amyo

It's a more real reaction at this point. They've laid out some harsh accustions lately. I think if they had embraced it would've sent a very phony message out.

February 21, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  14. dk

As Obama supporter, I have to say- Hillary started well...coz she knows ppl out there..she has upper hand
    Obama was weak as he is new to Texas- he seriously has nth to say.....but second question abt Cuba- I think Obama was better

February 21, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  15. Ron

Why does Hillary start every sentence with "Well, I..."

February 21, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  16. Evelyn New Jersey

I remember Hillary saying those exact words long before barack, Wind, bio diesel. Hillary needs as much equal time to speak as Barack is getting.

February 21, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  17. Sharon

Appealing shouldn't win elections

February 21, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  18. John

Ooooh. Big deal. Thanks for the insightful observation Bill Schneider. I'm sure you'll keep them coming...

February 21, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  19. BR

Does HRC stand for " Her Royal Clinton "

February 21, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  20. Johnathon

Latinos are strong to her but it is not her base and I feel she is forgetting that.

February 21, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  21. Rosemarie

Go get him Hillary, pull him in so that he can't get out of the web.
    He needs to be taken down, he thinks he is already the President.
    You are brilliant and know the ropes which a President will need on THAT 1ST DAY

February 21, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  22. Velle

I would like to know if Hillary will, while citing 35 years "in politics", state how many of those years were actually in ELECTED OFFICE?
    I can only recall two terms in the US Senate.

February 21, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |