February 21st, 2008

Schneider: Clinton, Obama share stage, but no embrace

Sens. Obama and Clinton greet the audience before Thursday night's debate.

Sens. Obama and Clinton greet the audience before Thursday night's debate.

AUSTIN, Texas (CNN) - Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama just took the debate stage and the two barely acknowledged each other. I didn’t even see them shake hands. It's a far cry from the Los Angeles debate when the two held a long embrace. Is this a sign of what's to come?

We'll find out.

- CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. Donna, Antioch TN

I personally want HRC to go after him on every issue because BO is an empty suit.

February 21, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  2. Dana

Please Clinton take him down!

February 21, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  3. Matt

I second that, Donna.

February 21, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  4. Chavis, VT

Watch your back, Barack.

Obama 08

February 21, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  5. vee

By the way...Obama was decent enough to acknowledge Hillary's presence..."We were frens and we will remain frens "

February 21, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  6. LatinoNation

I wouldnt shake his hand either he is to smug like some people at my job

February 21, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  7. Kim in Columbus

Not a big surprise here. They have exchanged some pretty heated (if not indirectly aimed) shots at one another for a few weeks.

Hillary is a much better speaker (she's had more experience, for crying out loud) so we'll see how tonight goes. I'm an avid supporter of Hillary Clinton and I hope tonight offers a swing of momentum her way.

February 21, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  8. Brandon PA

It's time for the KO, Hillary!

February 21, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  9. Marie

I personally want to see HRC break down in tears and be dragged off the stage mumbling "I quit."

February 21, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  10. Gavin

It figures – OBAMA IS ACTING LIKE A BIG BABY AS USUAL

His campaign has become so big-headed, narcasistic, and arrogant, I have given up support for Obama.

I'm Voting for Hillary Rodham Clinton !

February 21, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  11. Evelyn

OK Baracks opening speech is the same one he made the other night after his win in Wisconsin, I can almost say it with him word for word, he needs a new approach.

February 21, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  12. Cindy

wow... so vicious.

The HRC fans, that is...

February 21, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  13. Cee Dubya

NObama '08.

$500 Million worth of extended "social" programs. Do the "young/intelligent" people voting for him think those programs will pay for themselves?

Hillary '08.

P.S. How many more times is he going to say "Uh?" Why is he not so glib when he's using his own words?

February 21, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  14. Dana

Hillary is running a campaign against the Obama, the media and mysgonists in America. This is not right especially since she is the superior candidate

February 21, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  15. Marla, TX

Barack = America

Hillary = Hillary

O/08

February 21, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  16. Brandy, NJ

Hug? That is the hard hitting journalism? Give me a break.

I don't embrace people I don't care for or know personally either.

February 21, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  17. Nathaniel, Alpharetta, GA

Obama is indeed an empty suit. Clinton should tear him to shreds. We shall see if she actually tries to, however.

February 21, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  18. Robert Scofield Columbus, Ohio

Barack pushed her chair in! It's not to ruff yet!

February 21, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  19. Info

Look at how sick you Hillary supporters are, very sick on you CNN to post these comments with no substance

February 21, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  20. Denesh Goolab

Hillary definetly had a much stronger opening statement

February 21, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  21. Bob G.

Sheila Jackson Lee – Barbara Jordan's successor endorses Hillary for good reason – Action Counts!!

February 21, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  22. Sharon

Hillary listed of all she has accomplished and intends to continue accomplishing Obama just listed the problems everyone already knows exists. How is what he said an opening statement?

She has the experience and knows what to do and he has what? Hope?

February 21, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  23. Janine

HRC fans here need to grow up.

February 21, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  24. carl

There is a drinking game on college campus'. People bet how long into the debate before Hillary says..."My 35 years of experience..." Has she said it yet?

February 21, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  25. alta

Even as an Obama supporter, I must acknowledge Clinton's skill - her opening statement was cordial and effective. Better than his - hers was more organized and pointed. (But what is with her outfit? The necklace and collar merge into a waving gold line that looks vaguely like an insect's antennae - quite distracting - and yes, I appreciate the sad irony of commenting on clothes for the female candidate)

February 21, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |