February 21st, 2008

Schneider: Clinton, Obama share stage, but no embrace

Sens. Obama and Clinton greet the audience before Thursday night's debate.

Sens. Obama and Clinton greet the audience before Thursday night's debate.

AUSTIN, Texas (CNN) - Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama just took the debate stage and the two barely acknowledged each other. I didn’t even see them shake hands. It's a far cry from the Los Angeles debate when the two held a long embrace. Is this a sign of what's to come?

We'll find out.

- CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. arold

Hillary Rodham Clinton started the year flush with cash, but by the beginning of this month, she'd blazed through most of it — spending $11 million on ads, $3.8 million on messaging guru Mark Penn and $1,300 at Dunkin' Donuts, to name just a few expenditures — how could this person be in charge of the economy?

February 21, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  2. Osho

We hope to see some fireworks to distance the two, unlike the last debate when they were too amicable.

February 21, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  3. Dee

Listen
    Hillary is all abt I,I,I
    Obama is all about we,we,we

February 21, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  4. Mark Cnota

It appeared to me that while Senator Obama was giving his introductory speech, Senator Clinton was wearing a discernable smirk. I had the impression she disliked being in such proximity to her political adversary.

February 21, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  5. Steven

Hillary and Barack are similar in almost every way I can think of. However, Barack has repeatedly shown that he can motivate the american people and instill hope, a trait that Hillary should sit down and take notes on.

February 21, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  6. James

Obama is the better speaker...when he has a script.

February 21, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  7. Kane, MS

Did she ever give the White House china back?

Anybody who steals china from the American people, really should not be trusted back in the WH.

McCain 08

February 21, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  8. Janine

And all those problems Obama listed were around under the Clintons... why were they not fixed then?

February 21, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  9. Osho

Hillary is looking at Obama. Obama is not looking at her.

February 21, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  10. Atl Republican

It's a competitive debate, not a love story. So what do you expect to see?

February 21, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  11. Donna, Antioch TN

BO has been called on his flip flop

February 21, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  12. Rob

It sounds like there are some HRC trolls on this blog. Wonder if her campaign is getting so desperate that they're policing public opinion blogs now.

Remember who's spewing hate. It's not Obama.

February 21, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  13. Osho

Can't wait for the he-said she-said questions

February 21, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  14. Buzz

She earns her label as ice princess.

February 21, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  15. Kim

Barak is too arrogant! He thinks he has the election locked up and the key is in his pocket. Texas and Ohio will show him different. Everyone is not mezmerized by your stolen speeches.

February 21, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  16. kurt

Marie made me laugh, "I personally want to see HRC break down in tears and be dragged off the stage mumbling "I quit.". I feel the same way.

But, that said, these two are both Democrats people. How would you feel waking up and hearing that McCain has won the November election?

Don't tear the house down.

February 21, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  17. Evelyn New Jersey

OK here he goes again he is no JFK he needs to get over that.
    Also do all of his Latte drinking supporters know thaat theyare going to pay 50% of their wages to the government for all of his social projects he wants to promote.

February 21, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  18. Donna, Antioch TN

Go Hillary – Why can't everyone see that she is ready to be president and he needs seasoning i.e. experience.

February 21, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  19. Missy

I think they were coming from standing right beside each other in the wings, so that's probably why they didn't shake hands. They were just standing by each other. I rewound the scene myself because I was surprised.

February 21, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  20. law

Hillary will be doomed tonight because her supporter's negative commends about Obama do not win GOD's favor.

February 21, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  21. Atl Republican

Dee; Wake up! Obama says We, We,We because he does not want to be held accountable when he fails. This way he can put the blame on someone else.

February 21, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  22. Chris Harrison

Well, we can tell where the Hillary fans like to hang out... But I digress. Let's look at the facts, shall we? Hillary's campaign is running out of money; Barack's is gaining full steam.

I'm a libertarian, and to be honest I prefer Ron Paul as a candidate, but given the current choices, Obama's the guy I'm voting for come November. Hillary and McCain, to me, represent more of the same. You can hate all you want, but unless you've got some sort of magic wand you can wave, Hillary's campaign isn't going to last much longer.

February 21, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  23. Mychelle

With all the new allegations of unfaithfulness on the part of John McCain when will Obama allegations come to light. Thats one of the main reason we need to elect a woman president. At least we won't have to be constantly guess when these allegations will surface. Never underestimate the strengthen of a woman. As the great late reggae superstar Robert Nesta Marley states in his famous song. No woman no cry. Take heed Hillary stay strong.

February 21, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  24. Kevin Zelko

to the people who wonder where Obama would get money to put in his infrustructural plans....The war machine won't be kept up to the amount that we currently have it. I know that Hillary will have Clinton's war hawk influences(more bombing under Clinton than Bush 1), but that is where the money will come from.

Barack is more electable. Brings the change. No baggage and will unite independents and some Republicans-especially those with conservative religious ties.

February 21, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  25. Jeff

Wow it is sad how angry the Clinton supporters have gotten and are looking for anything bad on Obama. We are supposed to be one party. Listen just because Hillary is going through a rough time doesn't mean Obama has done something against her. Obama is more appealing to people.

February 21, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |