February 21st, 2008

Schneider: Clinton throws punch on plagiarism charge

AUSTIN, Texas (CNN) - "Change you can Xerox," Clinton just said.She is trying to continue making the plagiarism charge - that Obama lifted a portion of a speech from Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick - an issue.But that line seemed contrived to me.And Obama clearly enjoyed the plagiarism question, using it as an opportunity to portray the charge as an example of the "silliness" of Washington he is battling.Related: Watch Obama defend plagiarism charges

–CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. Kim Ohio

I liked the silly politics comment. She just couldn't resist taking this to the gutter. She worked on that Xerox comment all week and she wasn't going to leave that stage until she got it out. Obama is sticking to the issues, answering the questions that are posed and showing that he is indeed ready to be our President.

February 21, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  2. 2001snake

WAKE UP PEOPLE.. Obama does not have one original idea nor plans for this Great Country. He is like a college kid (maybe that is why they are being hoodwinked) plagiarizing, cult revival like speeches and the proposed changes he will make when he is president; from Hillary Clinton.

Obama has cannibalized several proposed issues and their words from the other candidates. During the debate (Calif) , Obama was asked a few questions and he proceeded to repeat a statement either Hillary Clinton or John Edwards previously made. It is startling as to how many times he uses other candidates statements.

And just now when he was talking about the health care issue he again used language from one Hillary Clinton's speech.

February 21, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  3. Shawna in Austin

I recorded the debate so am a little behind real-time, but I was just wondering if Hillary got a kick-back from Xerox Corporation for using their name in the debate? She does have a lot of corporate backers, you know...

February 21, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  4. E. Murray

I agree that Senator Clinton's continued focus on the plagiarism charge is "silly". This is the type off foolishness that has our country in its continued state of distress! It is truly time for change! Change in the way we pursue the way we strengthen our country and if she continues to attack him on foolish issues, she is going to hinder any chance she has to become president of the United States. The American people are tired of this behavior!

February 21, 2008 09:32 pm at 9:32 pm |
  5. chris

Except for "just words?" isn't everything else–FDR's words, the Declaration of Independence, JFK's remarks–in the public domain?

Hillary is desperate, and she should "get real".

February 21, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  6. A Dileehia

Obama owned Hillary on this issue. He is rocking in thie debate!

February 21, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  7. John Scott

You are right the line was contright – but it does speak to integrety – this is the highest position in the "land" – I want my President to have integrety – I think Hillary wins this one.

February 21, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  8. Louise Walker

Why are we not asking how much of her speechs have come from her husbands? Let's compare??

February 21, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  9. chefidel

It simple you can't have a debate with a great debater and obviuosly Obama is a great one .

February 21, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  10. shannon

The 'change you can xerox' comment made Hillary look desperate and small. It was obviously a manufactured sound bite that was anything BUT spontaneous, and when she got it in, you could easily imagine her cranky, cornered staff crafting it just for tonight's debate. Hillary's performance tonight is a perfect example of exactly why I don't want to see her as our president.

February 21, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  11. me

Highlight of the night so far.

February 21, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  12. ginger

Wish Hillary would drop the plagiarism thing. So it was a paragraph. I hear her pick up things Obama says all the time.

February 21, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  13. Issie

Hillary is debating the same old washington politics. She talks too much and too polarize. If she didn't fix healthcare in 8 years what makes you think she will fix it if elected. you had your chance Hillary with the backroom deals.

February 21, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  14. mndharmas

CNN should compare the accomplishments of these two for the american people. Americans know hillary more for her role as the cheated upon first lady of Arkansas and America

February 21, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  15. Moncille

Petty, petty politics on her part...I'm sure her speechwriters and co-chairs have huddled with her on speeches and the like. This is the kind of thing that America IS tired of...enough...stick to the REAL problems, issues and solutions!

February 21, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  16. Armando

I believe that Hillary lost the debate when she went off on the plagiarsm issue. Barack was obiously upset with her comment, but kept his composure. She would have appeared more professional and mature if she would'nt have taken the bait.

February 21, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  17. SM

Bill, you must be watching a different debate than I am. Her line wasn't contrived. It was "going after him" exactly the way you said she should in your last post. And it was a funny, "ballsy" line, so good for her!

I have read your comments on all the democratic debates so far, and you've never been able to be unbiased, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Hillary is shining in spite of your spin.

February 21, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  18. Anonymous

Hillary is right! His whole campaign on change and he repeats overused words! She shows action he shows xeroxed words! Hillary is an excellent leader, she's a brilliant woman!

February 21, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  19. norman

"change" was central to Gov.Patrick's rehtoric but if you look at what 's
    been accomplished in in the first yr. you'll be hard pressed to find
    any accomplishments.My feel is that all the flourish by Obama will
    be the same "much ado about nothing".

February 21, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  20. Merri Gutierrez

When words are what you use to inspire and enthuse, we should expect that those words and ideas are genuine. Obama has made truthfulness and transparency his benchmarks and it is dissappointing that he, in effect, lied by borrowing lines of a speech, even from a friend. What that does is make those who are believers, truly believe they are his words. He, in effect, lied to us.

February 21, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  21. CJ

Hey Bill –

All of your headers start with Clinton. Obama is in this debate too.

February 21, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  22. Barbara

And, I'd like to wipe that saracastic "holier than thou" smirk/smile off her face! (Just go to picture on this website!)

February 21, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  23. Greg

Are you kidding me! Clinton today at a ralley was chanting ,Yes we can , Yes me can. Now thats plagiarism.

February 21, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  24. Kat from Va Beach

One should always acknowledge anothers quote immediately when using it...directly before or after you say it....not after you've been busted! I agree the words should be your own...and by the way please stop quoting, I mean Xeroxing, JFK and MLK enough is enough. If I want to channel the two of them I will calal a psychic!

February 21, 2008 10:57 pm at 10:57 pm |