February 21st, 2008

Schneider: Clinton throws punch on plagiarism charge

AUSTIN, Texas (CNN) - "Change you can Xerox," Clinton just said.She is trying to continue making the plagiarism charge - that Obama lifted a portion of a speech from Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick - an issue.But that line seemed contrived to me.And Obama clearly enjoyed the plagiarism question, using it as an opportunity to portray the charge as an example of the "silliness" of Washington he is battling.Related: Watch Obama defend plagiarism charges

–CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. Anonymous

I wholeheartedly agree – Ms Clinton's behavior mimmicks that of one of my middle school students. There are REAL issues more worthy of the airtime. Americans don't care as much about this pettiness, but want to hear bout the solutions the candidates have for these problems. Let's move on past this type of "he pushed me down on the playground" mentality shall we?

February 21, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  2. Eric

Way to nail her on the speciousness of her claims, Obama! Hillary will be politically pilloried before this is over! Obama 08

February 21, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  3. casey

it's not like he denied it

February 21, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  4. scott

obama fans need to wake up! When the dust settles if he wins it will be a McCain presidency for the next four years. He doesn't have of yet. Back some one who is ready!!!!!!! Or give to the republicans

February 21, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  5. Andrew

Hillary's criticisms are not sticking. Obama responds too well for them to have any affect.

February 21, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  6. SLH

While I am completely against plagiarism as an educator, what Obama has done I would not see fitting the bill of debating! We have real issues in America, REAL CONCERNS!!! Stick with the REAL issues!!!!

February 21, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  7. Betsy in Minneapolis

Barack handled her pathetic throw so well. She might as well through in the towel. She's done. Put a fork in her.

8. pls

It was silly and petty.

9. Maggie

Clinton is really going for Obama. She plagerized the "change" slogan so why is she calling him on it and he is not fighting back?

10. barbara

I think this debate is a waste, because you have someone that has lots of money and someone who has experience, with this formula you know who is going to win " MONEY"
    and the networks taht air distrubute their messages for money
    over all same of the same

11. jacqueline

Clinton comes out as a very imponent, angry and desperate candidate…not the presidente America needs at the moment…again the "I"-effect!!!

12. Brian

It is the silliness to the extreme, I mean, do you know how many times I've had to sit and listen to her words? Obama was using Yes, We Can, and she's been running around saying that. Clinton's the mimick here, looking for the first chance to pounce on her foe, but he marches out unscathed and we see her for who she is. How long will we remember this time?

13. Elliot McMillan

Obama deflected her response before she even offered it, making her reponse seem desperate and premeditated. She didn't come off well at all.

14. seawasauns

i'm over the whole plagarism thing...but it's nice to see that she's moved from nodding in agreement with everything he says – to actually debating!

15. Ian

Dirty. Respect lost for Hillary.

16. lynn

That's pretty desperate. Nobody owns words. We all have used or heard others words of inspiration. You can't knock inspiration

17. Dale

I am glad Obama is not entertaining the plaglarism issue, it is good he is concerned about the issues. Clinton is in trouble.

18. WM

Hillary looked petty trying to make a point about plagarism and Obama seized on it. She's consistently choosing the wrong times to attack.

19. Angel

"Change you can Xerox", "Actions speak lauder than words" and "Obama surrogate who was unable to name a single Obama accomplishment"

Hillary Clinton strong lines defining effectively the Barack Obama candidacy.

20. Susa

This is so ridiculous, after all she lifted part of his slogan/words. Give me a break. If this is all she has.... Hillary GIVE UP!!!!!!

21. kimari

I agree with this. I think this is silliness and what about the her abuses of his words in her speeches like change and yes we can that she has used. I think the reason she is accusing him is simply because she is guilty herself.

22. PDC

I'm disappointed that Sen. Clinton chose to stoop to "mud slinging." I want both candidates to stick to the issues. I'm glad Sen. Obama did not dignify her pettiness with a response!

The Democratic Party must be united. These final weeks before our primary should not be used to provide John McCain's supporters with criticism of our nominee. We must put a Democrat in the White House!

23. Shirley

How come nobody raises the issue of gun control / ban in light of the recent gun violences in NIU and other schools nationwide?

24. Karen Hudson

Anybody else notice how often Hillary says "I"? Obama says, "we." To someone like me, raised in the Scandinavian upper midwest, where we value integrity over egotism, this is a MAJOR difference.

25. Susan in San Diego

I really wish that they would focus some questions towards Obama instead of asking Hillary the questions first – giving her first access to deliver her poor style of rhetoric.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26