February 21st, 2008

Schneider: Clinton won't drop healthcare issue

AUSTIN, Texas (CNN) - Clinton clearly feels she can gain ground against Obama on healthcare.

Despite the moderator's repeated attempt to move on, Clinton kept returning to the issue.

She knows Obama is most on the defensive when talking about healthcare - she understands this issue through and through, and wants the audience to know it.

Related: Watch the candidates debate their health care plans

– CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. ivan Nunez

Health care from Hillary??..... what happened when her husband was president and she had the leave the scene???

She talks about her experience to be commander in chief .... what experience ..... she was not the president during Bill's years

February 21, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  2. Pamela Greenspan

Oboma did not vote for the war because he was not at his seat at the time of the vote in the Senate, so for him to say that he can make tough decisions I think not. It is a lot easier for him to say he didn't vote for the war after the fact.

Hillary is the best candidate for President of the United States, experience is very important and she is more experienced than Oboma.

February 21, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  3. Kain

I would love for every American to have healthcare, yet I believe each American needs to weigh the costs. Many "delusional" Americans are jumping on the Clinton bandwagon without carefully considering what universal healthcare asks for. Democracy demands that I be given a choice to opt out of healthcare, yet be responsible to accept a fine if I, in the future, need heatlhcare. The poor will suffer under universal healthcare, especially if Clinton mandates they pay a hefty price for healthcare.

February 21, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  4. darrell

Valeries – It not fair to say that Obama is not a leader – He is an effective leader. Leaders have vision; Leaders are able to bring people togethe; and leaders have people who is willing to manage that vision for a common cause – Clinton will just keep up the fight between both parties – becasue she believes unless its her way – she will bring the party down – Just like her husband did when he shut down the government until he GOT his way. The same old politics for the last 28 years

February 21, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  5. Ronnie

Hillary is a divider. Obama is a natural leader. God help us if SHE is the next president. Of course, no one will rally the republicans to the voting booths like Hillary! YES SHE CAN! and we all lose.

February 21, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  6. Beckie DaLomba

Clinton has got to stay away from negative remarks toward Obama. She should have never mentioned the statements used in his speech. We the people do not care. We would like to hear how you are going to fix the issues: healthcare, borders, economy, war. Advise her to be nice and just get the job done.
    And one more note even through we do not need another Republican President: McGain's stories from 8 years ago do not need to be brought to the public's attention.

February 21, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  7. Nicole

Valerie said..."God help us all if Obama gets President!" Since they both are so similar in policy structure....I guess you would say the same about Hillary. I mean why would we want a president who has brought together millions of people together who truly believe that a change in leadership is what we need? Obama! Why would we want a president who actually brings millions of people together who don't normally get involved in politics to begin with? Obama! I mean who would want that type of leadership???? (dripping with sarcasm)

February 21, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  8. Virginia

I want to know who is going to pay for the health insurance of those who do not work and do not have an income. Where is the money to pay for their health insurance going to come from? It seems that those who do work to get their own insurance will be taxed to pay for those who do not. Universal health care is a nice thought but if I am going to have to go to work every day to pay for my insurance and someone else’s insurance who is just too lazy to even get a job is ridiculous.

February 21, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  9. Amy in Iowa

I think it was very rude how Hillary tried to dominate this debate.

February 21, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  10. Linda

Senator Obama is a reasoned man. He respects individuals and recognises that you can get more done when you lead by facilitating solutions rather than dictating solutions. I really don't like Hilliary her's style. Reason with me don't try to force me to do something.

February 21, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  11. Trina

He isn't as smooth tonight, it's not a written speech that he can take others words and used. She is so in control of this debate. GO HILLARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 21, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  12. Nay in MD

Ms. Clinton had her chance to "fix" the US healthcare system back when her husband was President. She not only failed, but failed miserably!!!! She could not decide on who was the expert on universal healthcare. She "could not find her own voice" if you will and spent more time chasing and courting those who seemed to hold the answer and ended up with ZERO. More of the same if she is president. I'm a registered Republican.

February 21, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  13. me

Wow CNN
    You are getting in the habit of cutting Clinton off....why don't you just cover her face with a black box. or beep her when she speaks.

February 21, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  14. Mr. Logic and his side kick Pae Ying Attention

Hillary seems like a salesman at the end of the month, pressing to make his or her quota. " These are the best widgets on the market. She doesn't seem very presidential.

February 21, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  15. Donna Rosenberg

like John King. He is a hottie. BUT THE CUT THE CANDIDATES OFF. LET THEM TALK CNN

February 21, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  16. Creamy Goodness

Do we have a choice when we pay Social Security or Medicare? No! How does Obama expect a person on welfare to pay a fine for not having insurance in an emergency room? In the end, we have no choice.

February 21, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  17. Allen, Georgia

"so what makes Clinton think that she can FORCE any adult American to purchase healthcare for themselves if they don't want to?"

Because she is a liberal fascist just like Obama. They will take your rights using the mask of doing what is right for society. Want to eat fattening foods...not for long. Want to smoke pot or cigarettes, drink? not for long it costs society too much in health care costs. The liberal fascists know what is right for you. Just follow them and you will live in a utopian state. Heil!

February 21, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  18. karen

Obama knows process
    Hillary knows politics
    constitutional prof with the common ouch
    it will work

February 21, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  19. Annie

I am so glad someone else sees how CNN, and other networks, give ever opportunity to Obama to headline over Hillary. Most men have not
    reached the place in our society where they can handle a woman
    in a leadership role. They still want women barefoot and pregnant .

February 21, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  20. Mr. Jones

Why do people continue to attack Obama's experience? His words speaks to the heart, simply because it's from the heart. He is truly a candidate without a hidden agenda...unlike Bush? Oh yeah, Bush expressed experience too while pursuing the office and look how far that got us.

We need a human element in Washington...no more machines. Vote Obama.

February 21, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  21. Hillary Lover

Please tell me that the Obama was not suggesting that the VA hospitals need to be closer to each other. Has he ever traveled Texas.

He made it sound like 250 miles is a long distance in Texas. It really isn't.

February 21, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  22. Cynthia

Senator Obama rides Senator Clinton's coat tails on every issue. I'm sorry, but I think Obama is fantastic, and could make a good president in the next 8-12 years, but he is not ready now. We need someone ready now, to take reign and help the US get back on track.

February 21, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  23. E Lee

I agree about Hillary getting cut off! Can't tell me she isn't ready for this. She is showing directness, toughness and experience. This is a critical issue and I think she explained how it would be purchased – as a deduction.

Supposedly, he comes from a history of eloquent speakers but that doesn't equate to success.

Also, I as a childless middle aged who has gone through some bad experiences, I'm tired of being left out of so much because I've never had children. I'm on my feet now but now without any of the same help that would have been offered to an adult with a child. Who are we childless adults in the scheme of things?

February 21, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  24. Karen

I find it hard to believe that Clinton does not favor making English the primary language. Perfect reason for not voting for a Democrat.

February 21, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |
  25. A Dileehia

Hillary failed in this debate! Obama rules!

February 21, 2008 09:40 pm at 9:40 pm |