February 21st, 2008

Schneider: Clinton won't drop healthcare issue

AUSTIN, Texas (CNN) - Clinton clearly feels she can gain ground against Obama on healthcare.

Despite the moderator's repeated attempt to move on, Clinton kept returning to the issue.

She knows Obama is most on the defensive when talking about healthcare - she understands this issue through and through, and wants the audience to know it.

Related: Watch the candidates debate their health care plans

– CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. DallasGirl35

She only understands healthcare through and through for a certain demographic. I should have a choice in the healthcare plan, if I can afford my own. Have you talked to anyone in London or Canada? Under this type of "universal" plan, i would have had Stage III melanoma, instead of Stage 0 because of the time it took to get approved for an appointment. Barack is making it available for those who can't afford it today...and making it cheaper for those of us that do have healthcare today.

2. Tish Wms, TX

I agree with Bill on this one. Obama's healthcare would be most successful at first since he understands that there are mountains of bureacracy to cut through before a truly Universal plan can exist.

I applaud Hillary's ideas, but her methodology is extremely flawed.

3. Karta

Obama really don't have a clear understanding about foreign policies, the world is watching!

4. Laura Jacobs

It seems obvious to me that the reason Senator Clinton
    keeps bringing up the healthcare issue is because that
    is her ONLY strongpoint during this debate. She has failed in
    the past to see her errors and acknowledge her lack of
    judgment regarding the Iraq involvement. She has a one-
    track mind during this debate and I see this as a major
    downfall....she cannot move on. We need someone like
    Senator Obama who can MOVE ON

5. JJ

Why is it that the moderators are always directing their questions first at Hillary, and why is it that they always let Obama speak last before the break without giving Hillary the chance to reply? Very unfair. Make Obama answer a question first at least once, because up to now he keeps on repeating what Hillary said, just in different words.

6. Sirius

She'll make a great Sec of Health and Human Services for Obama who can lead and talk about more than one issue.

7. TobinMax

Anyone else notice how often Clinton is invoking Edwards when she talks about poilcy?

8. Anonymous

Senator Clinton,

I am proud of your efforts to get Universal Health care for all. You keep mentioning that Senator Obama needs a reality check. As an Independent voter what I want is for something to be done even if it is not universal meaning that Senator Obama plan might not be perfect but in the end with impact a lot more Americans than your plan if it ever succeeds will. That is the reality!

9. Liz

I disagree, Mr Schneider. I think she was rude to the moderators and when he had his chance he veryu much matched her idea for idea.

I am so impressed by how polite, strong and presidential Sen Obama seems and I can't wait for his presidency to start. I was lukewarm about him before but now I am HOT!

10. Iyke Ekeoma

I think senator Clinton is on a sinking ground on the issue of Health care, hence her repeated attempts to raise the issue.

11. TJS

What about the fact that Clinton already had a shot at health care reform during Bill's presidency, and she wasn't able to get it done?

12. David

You cannot base a presidency off of a singular issue. If the only thing the Clinton cares about is health care then what kind of president will she make when it comes to other issues.

13. Mary

and she should keep returning to the issue. it is an extremely important issue and she should have made the comment about the continuously misleading fact that people will be forced to choose universal health care – when they won't. Only if you don't have health care. We require people to have car insurance to drive and own a car for the safety and protection of themselves and others on the road. This is basic stuff. My private healthcare will be much less if everyone is required to be insured.

14. jp/michigan

Clinton is right on about health care. Obama doesn't have a clue. The cost will be higher if everyone is not covered. Covering everyone will bring the cost down, more affordable. The insured will have to cover the cost of the ones not covered when they go to the hospital like we do now.

15. zorana

I do not understand how anyone can say that they are providing universal healthcare when it is our paychecks that are going to be garnished for this healthcare. Universal healthcare to me means that the govt pays for it, if I am already being forced to choose between healthcare and whether my kids eat, but because I am a little better than poor I am either not eligible or many of the govt benefits I receive are reduced, then the last thing I need is greedy healthcare companies garnishing my wages. The only thing that is going to happen under Clinton's plan is that the cost for various healthcare procedures are going to increase, thus creating the need for healthcare insurance premiums to increase and thus taking an even larger chunck out a wages that are already not enough!

16. Bonnie

It is true that Hillary Clinton understands this subject far better than Obama and is ready to implement a universal healthcare plan within the first 100 days in office. Her plan is far better than Obamas on a number of issues. She has a clear and implemental policy ready to go that will not be costly to the American people, which Obama's plan is. How can an individual afford healthcare coverage when they cannot afford to make their mortgage payment, or purchase gasoline for their car? Senator Clinton is right on target with her plan.

17. Stacy

I was shocked but I think he actually got the best of her on this issue. I thought she would put him away with it

18. Samuel

This just shows a preview of the way she will be if elected president. She really has no desire to continue on a question at hand, but rather wants to impose her own will as she demonstrates by going around a question and back to her favorite issue.

19. Kendra

I have been watching and I have noticed that they will let Obama say EVERYTHING he wants to say even when he is off topic but will not let Clinton say her peace plus they have repeatly choose her first given him time to polish is answer and giving her no time for rebuttle but Obama has been able to rebutt continously through out the night.

Also Like to add he will not answer the question being posed.

20. john devine

Hillary appears to have a better grasp of most of the issues, and can better articulate her argument, but Obama has her on the run from her record.

21. Petra

We haven't seen much beef from Hillary either. Garnishing people's wages for health care; that is caring about the people?

22. David Jacksonville FL

PS You'll notice she also let Sen Obama give a rebuttal to her response.

23. manchester

This is a rehash of the previous debates. They have been through the healthcare difference a dozen times. I would expect Hillary to try a new message or tactic. If she allows this to be a rehash of the previous debates its pretty clear what is going to happen.

24. Gina

While Sen. Clinton might understand the isue of healthcare through and through, she has not been able to explain why it has been so difficult to advance her proposal and also what stopped her from having an open discussion about it when she had the chance.

25. Fisher from jersey

She really needs to stop. Garnishing wages does not help Americans. H.R.C wants healthcare to be like the dmv. How much do we all enjoy that fiasco?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14