February 21st, 2008

Schneider: Obama stresses consensus building

AUSTIN, Texas (CNN) - On the issue of earmarks, Obama is jumping at the opportunity to show his record of reaching across the aisle.He referenced his work with Oklahoma Sen. Tom Coburn, a Republican widely viewed as one of the most conservative senators. He certainly isn't a popular figure in Democratic circles, but Obama wants to stress the two pushed for a measure to expose where pork-barrel spending was going.It again plays into his theme of building bipartisan consensus - an argument he knows plays well this cycle, even with partisan Democrats.

– CNN Senior Political Analyst Bill Schneider

Filed under: Bill Schneider
  1. mjc

geez schneider why dont you just marry the guy? its clear who cnn loves... i'm gonna vomit!

February 21, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  2. lynn

This is one of the very important reasons that Obama should be president.

February 21, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  3. Natalie

this is one of the things I like about Obama he will try to bring the politicians together and if they see he has a mandate from the people hopefully they will get nervous and stop the pettiness and accomplish things

February 21, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  4. Marie Galdamez

Well for me Obama still the winner, Clinton has not been able to answer a question straight forward.

Hurray for Obama, the next president of the USA

February 21, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  5. sm

Fatal error. She should be tougher instead of so tender with Obama. I see no strength. Open borders, surrender in war. We are in trouble.

February 21, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  6. Drew from Chicago

Whoo Hoo!! Hillary scores!!!!!!! She is awesome on the question of life challenges!

February 21, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  7. Evelyn New Jersey

Who is the better speaker now?
    Well Campbell guess she got you for not letting her finish her statements and cutting to commercials in the middle.

February 21, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  8. aleman1219

i think hillary has given up and been all sweet and nice with obama as to start proceedings to get out of this with grace ( and working on that VP position)…

February 21, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  9. P STANFIELD

WHY DO YOU KEEP BREAKING IN ON CLINTON AND LET HER FINISH HER STATMENTS. GIVE HER THE SAME CONSIDERATION THAT YOU GIVE OBAMA. AT LEAST SHE DID VOTE ON THE WAR. DID HE?

February 21, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  10. Josean

Well Well he didnt gave an answer Bill....Ohh well this is CNN or ONN

February 21, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  11. Robert

he's as guilty of earmarks as every other politician – "physician heal thyself"

12. Johnathon

This too!

13. K.P. Mills

I have to say that Clinton really wowed me with her closing remarks, and I am an Obama gal!

14. Bruce

It is this issue that really makes Obama shine with the younger generation like myself. He doesn't offer completely new policies and such; he offers hope for a new ideology of politics; an outsiders view from Washington.

15. Pure Renaissance in Columbus OHIO

He is ready to lead. It should be painfully obvious after 10 straight Primary Victories that is the general (albeit, early) concenus. Vote Barack for Change, the RIGHT CHANGE!

16. Phanee

She was performing so well on the debate.... Why did she make that statement that whatever happens, she will take it!!!!! This is the most crucial statement in her campaign I guess!!! Mark my words!

17. NotanObamaFan

Both candidates are so much alike that you can go either way, so for people that down play either candidate you should look in the mirror to see which side you are really on. Clearly the democrats have scored a victory for the party, because they are more united in my opinion than the republicans. I honestly think the both of them would make a good ticket up against any republican ticket, George Bush has ruined the party so much and McCain is not a change from what has happened over the past 7 years.

Good luck to everyone who votes, may the better person win. I've enjoyed taking part with others tonight.

18. Murry

For a minute there at the end I thought Clinton was going to start crying again. And that, "I'm honored to be here" line was cheesy and fake.

19. lc

AND SHE BARELY MENTIONED HOW SHE WOULD WORK

WITH THE OTHER SIDE- because she won't.

SHE ALSO NEVER MENTIONED HOW SHE WOULD WORK WITH

THE OTHER SIDE OF THE AISLE TO BRING SUCCEESS TO HER

HEALTHCARE PLAN THIS TIME AROUND- because she won't.

20. Edwin Portland

Obama is the answer. Get educated, people.

21. Alok

I just witnessed the future president and the vice president shake hands.

22. JJN

Is it just me? What will he actually do to bring consensus? To bring the two sides together? He says it ever chance he gets, but what exactly will he do? When one side doesn't have any motivation to come to the table, how will he get them to the table? When they play hardball what exactly will he do???

23. Christina (Georgia)

I hope this is the direction that the next generation of politicians go toward. I would much rather have a government that can work together when it counts than have gridlock in Washington that hurts Americans across the country with every minute argument or posture.

24. Sony

I like this guy, he has won me over due to his practical view and realistic view on things, hillary seems to tout her experience, but not realisitc in her approach, she will be too divisive

25. Murry

Obama is the best candidate to unite us.

February 21, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |