February 22nd, 2008

Clinton says she’s been speaking with Edwards

(CNN) - Hillary Clinton said Friday she has had more conversations with John Edwards since their first post-race meeting two weeks ago, a sign the New York senator continues to heavily court the backing of her former rival.

Speaking on ABC's Good Morning America, Clinton touted her longtime friendship with Edwards and said she occasionally talks to him. Pressed if she had spoken with Edwards since meeting with him in person earlier this month, Clinton indicated she had, on more than one occasion.

"We have had conversations, yes," she said.

Edwards is one of a handful of high-profile Democrats whose endorsement could seriously impact the presidential race, but who has yet to back a candidate. Both Clinton and Obama have met with Edwards since the former North Carolina senator dropped his presidential bid several weeks ago, and both have highlighted portions of Edwards' own anti-poverty platform in their own stump speeches.

Obama's campaign manager David Plouffe has also made recent trips to North Carolina, and met with Edwards backers there.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

1. Carol Brownell in Colorado

We have watched all of the Democrat debates and each time, in my view, Hillary shines! My husband is an independent and he and I have had some heated discussions about Hillary. After the debate last night, he turned to me and said, "Of all three candidates (which includes McCain), I think I like Hillary the best! Now don't tell me that Hillary didn't do well last night! It takes a mountain of convincing to influence my husband! Moreover, I as a registered Democrat I will be voting for McCain if Hillary does not get the nomination of the party. As an aside, Mary Matalin, I thank you for your comments about Hillary in a recent interview with Mr. Blitzer. Finally, finally, I heard comments that echoed mine!

February 22, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  2. hello

In last nights debate Obama was agreeing to each and every answer of Hilary Clinton.
    Can I ask where is the beef Mr Obama?

February 22, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  3. Virginia-California

I'm so tired ot endorsements and the media guestimating...let the candidates stand for themselves and allow US THE VOTERS to decide. Mr. Edwards and Mr. Richardson are doing the wish step allow the voters to decide. As a voter I still didn't hear what accomplishments while in the senate these last 2-3 years Senator Obama has done...all that was mentioned was his past work not enough of a resume for me to hire him for the position of being President of our country....i HOPE that folks will see who REALLY has the experience for the position of becoming our next president.
    Hillary Clinton in 2009.

February 22, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  4. Brenda, NC

The negative remarks and comments being spread throughout the news media about Senator Hillary Clinton are outrageous. Hillary Clinton is the best-qualified candidate and we need her as our next President. She knows what needs to be done and how to get it done. Hillary is intelligent, knowledgeable and a strong leader with a good heart. She is the right choice for hope, change, solutions, results and leadership. Give Senator Clinton a chance. Without a doubt, she has my support and my vote.

February 22, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  5. Jessica Price, California

Go Hillary!. Yes, we will.

February 22, 2008 01:09 pm at 1:09 pm |
  6. Dave, SC

I just finished reviewing some of the information about Peter Paul and his case against Hilary Clinton for campaign finance fraud. I must now agree with Senator Clinton that she IS the candidate most ready to work in the Whitehouse beginning on day one. She is truly an under-cutting, backstabbing, untruthful, two-faced, and crowd pleasing person; and presently, these are the main characteristics of the President of The United States of America, as defined by her husband the former President of the USA. Senator Clinton has proven that she is willing to do what ever it takes to get what she wants. There have been a considerable amount of people who support her in ALL her Endeavors to become the leader of this country. She has successfully duped them into thinking that she is something else. Her oppositions on both sides of the political highway have indicated and stated the many corrupt practices of the current and former leaders of our government. They have stated over and over their intended willingness to try to conduct our government’s business in less deviant manners. Base on the information that I have learned about Senator Clinton, they are ALL wrong. A successful leader has NO integrity, dignity, or decency. The President of The United States of America should be one who is only willing to look out for number one while spreading and little number two where ever he or she goes. So in this case Hilary R. Clinton IS the only candidate fully qualified to be the next President of The United States of America.

February 22, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  7. LT

There is a first female president out there, but she is not Hillary Rodham Clinton. The first female president cares about Americans first, not her own selfish, small-minded ambitions.

I've been a loyal Democrat all my life, but I never voted for Bill, and I will never vote for Hillary. And it's not because she is a woman, but because she is selfish.

Obama 08

First Female President/Not Hillary 2016

February 22, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  8. GO MRS CLINTON!!

EDWARDS SHOULD ENDORSE CLINTON.. ITS THE BEST THING TO DO.. SHE SEEMS TO KNOW AND CARE MORE FOR THE MILITARY AND HER BELIEFS ON UNIONS.. ARE SO TOUCHING.. SHE HAS FULL SUPPORT FROM THE GAY COMMUNITY. SHE IS EXTREMELY KNOWLEDGEABLE ON MILITARY ISSUES.. UNLIKE BARAK SEEMS LOST WHEN ASKED QUESTIONS CONCERNING MILITARY OR GAY ISSUES..

VOTE HILLARY CLINTON 08///////////

February 22, 2008 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  9. Rhonda from Ohio

I don't know why both Richardson and Edwards don't go ahead and endorse Hillary Clinton. She truly is the best candidate of choice to become the next American President. I think both Edwards or Richardson would be good choices for either VP or a cabinet position. Let's face it America. Smooth talkers do not get the job done.!

February 22, 2008 01:41 pm at 1:41 pm |
  10. Charlotte

If the media has they're way, Obama will be the next democratic nominee. If they were any truth to what Dave SC is saying, you don't think CNN would be all over that story? We need a President who doesn't need 18 attempts to finally have a decent debate. We need Hillary.

February 22, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  11. mhansen

and not just speaking to him – channeling his words as well...

February 22, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  12. Vascez (Dallas)

Hillary Clinton has Xeroxed her self yesterday. !!!!!! She didin't well at all. When you are waiting for her to give a punch, she is just crying.

This is the kind of politics we don't want in USA. Did she need to cry every time she is loosing?

CRY CRY BABY Hillary !!!!!

February 22, 2008 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  13. Honestlady

@Dave,SC who wrote "I just finished reviewing some of the information about Peter Paul and his case against Hilary Clinton for campaign finance fraud. I must now agree with Senator Clinton that she IS the candidate most ready to work in the Whitehouse beginning on day one. She is truly an under-cutting, backstabbing, untruthful, two-faced, and crowd pleasing person; and presently, these are the main characteristics of the President of The United States of America, "

LOL...This has to be one of the funniest things that i've read all day. I almost choked on my food after reading this. Even though it is funny....I agree with the later part of your paragraph.

February 22, 2008 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  14. Joseph

Edwards will probably give Clinton his support....why? Simple politics, John Kerry, Edwards' running mate in 2004 had endorsed Obama over Clinton and Edwards. There is no way that Edwards is going to help Kerry and Obama after Kerry snubbed him. Tit for tat. Edwards will probably endorse Clinton soon.

February 22, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  15. Ava

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!

Why doesn't any of her supporters acknowledge the Peter and Paul case? Or any of her shady deals and scandals ??????
    And what about releasing her tax return, or her sealed files ??? Perhaps you all need a reality check. The Billarys are shady, and that my friends is a fact! I don't want the GOP to have to bring this up, the presidency will be handed to McCain. She needs to save herself what ever dignity she has.

February 22, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  16. D.

LISTEN......

EDWARDS DOES NOT MATTER......

February 22, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  17. Cris S

Hillary's the On! ! Maybe Obama for Vice President!

February 22, 2008 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  18. Cris S

Hillary's the One!! Obama for Vice President!

February 22, 2008 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  19. Kathy

Obama has this tendancy in the debates to follow up on Hillary's questions with a rephrasing of Hillary's remarks, as though they are something new. Is that his attempt at being specific?

February 22, 2008 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  20. Kay

If it takes this long for Edwards to make up his mind who to endorse it totally takes away from the value of the endorsement. Sounds like he is just stringing people along and enjoying himself. Doesn't matter to me, I've decided if Clinton doesn't get the nod I'm going with McCain.

I really had hopes that this year's campaign would be different – still down to choosing the lesser of the two evils. No change this year.

February 22, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  21. SB

I sure have been awaiting moderation for a while. I wonder why CNN?

February 22nd, 2008 11:45 am ET
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    I wonder if she asked him if she could use his words in her closing at the debate last night?

I must admit, I almost fell for this effort at warmth until I later learned that she was paraphrasing something that John Edwards said at the end of a prior debate.

Let's not have another New Hampshire moment, complete with the buyers remorse that came in the days to follow.

It's time for a new beginning. It's time for Barack Obama.

February 22, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  22. Leeza

Is this why she kept mentioning him last night?
    She is such a child.

February 22, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  23. Joseph

Nice trick SB I've been trying to get my thoughts posted as well but they never do.

Well, well the cat's out of the bag on Billary's Universial Health care now since Obama cleared things up last night in the debate. People it's going to be mandotory, and if you don't buy it you will be fined for not having it and you still won't have any health care.

February 22, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |