February 22nd, 2008

Clinton won't clarify post-March 4 plans

(CNN) – Hillary Clinton declined to say Friday whether she will continue her presidential run past the upcoming March 4 contests, no matter their outcome.

Her campaign has been looking to strong showings in the states of Ohio and Texas, which vote on that day, as key to reversing the momentum of Democratic rival Barack Obama, who has won 11 straight contests.

When Clinton was asked by NBC Today Show co-host Meredith Vieira whether she’ll continue her run regardless of the results in those states, the New York senator said only: “Well Meredith, I don’t make predictions. I never have, I never will. I just get up every day and do the best I can to let people know what I have done, what I am doing and what I will do.”

Clinton has held the advantage in those delegate-rich states, but recent polls in show both races tightening.

Before Thursday night’s presidential debate, her husband, former President Bill Clinton, told a Texas crowd that his wife’s presidential run hinged on her success in the state – and that if she did not fare well there, she was unlikely to win her party’s nomination.

–CNN Associate Political Editor Rebeca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Hillary Clinton
  1. FemaleVoter

No, she just thinks before she speaks, unlike Obama who pledged to go along with the campaign financing reform and now has to backtrack fast because he spoke without thinking that he might be able to actually raise a lot of cash on his own (guess he wasn't hopeful himself when he jumped into that one).

February 22, 2008 01:17 pm at 1:17 pm |
  2. Nancy

OBAMA SUPPORTERS NASTY, NASTY PEOPLE.

February 22, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  3. Phillip, Memphis

Sam, she just "don't" have a plan? give me a break (sorry, couldn't resist it). what do reporters expect her to say to asinine questions. If she loses, she will withdraw. If she wins she won;t. Just remember you heard the obvious here first.

February 22, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  4. BobW Rochester, NY

She won't clarify her plans because if she doesn't win fairly, she will insist on winning by seating Florida and Michigan, even if it means destroying party unity. That attitute just illustrates why her pathetic closing comments in last night's debate was only more attempts at a "New Hampshire moment".

February 22, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  5. Nancy

Hillary cancelled her rally today in Fort Worth due to the police officer dying in accident in her motor cade, don't tell us that she does not have feelings and care, she needs these rally's but is willing to put priorities first. Obama would not do the same he would mention condolonces in his speech.

Hillary very admirable.

February 22, 2008 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  6. kathleen, illinois

Nobody cares about her future plans.

February 22, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  7. Chris

And here she is trying to lead a country. What a comedy.

Please Hillary Quit. After March 4th quit. It is clear you are not going to make it. Even if you win all 4 states, (very unlikey as Obama will definitely take Texas.), Obama will at least be really close and you will not have the money or delegates to compete. Remember you need double digits to win more delegates in Ohio and Texas, which is highly impossible.
    Obama is already taking over your numbers in Texas, give another week, he will do that in Ohio, that has been the trend.

So start packing your backs.

February 22, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  8. wait a minute

"I never had (predicted), I never will."
    How can she lead?

February 22, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  9. Texasboo

IF the former front runner can blow nearly $150 million dollars in a year and not have a plan b past Feb 5 tells me that she's ready to lose on day 1. Those are horrible managerial skills for someone with 35 years of experience.

Clinton's campaign can't raise anymore money and is now in debt $7 million dollars. Now that her image is more hardened which incidently turned off voters. I think the realization is that she can't beat Obama's momentum is sinking in. She knows deep down that he's the stronger candidate to beat McCain. Obama has beaten the Clinton machine and he's STILL moving ahead..

GOBAMA! Bottom line you are better at taking McCain "sleeping with lobbyists and warmonger down".

February 22, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  10. Carib-girl

Hillary doesn't have a plan because she's not really for the American people as she claims she is, especially at the end of her speech last night when she says it's about the American people if she was sincere as she wanted everyone to believed she would have said I will drop out and put my party's agenda first so we can win the general. Certain Americans are so hypocrite that I strongly believed that if it was Obama many, many , many people including delegates, and news personal would be saying he needs to drop out. So why haven't any body even suggest that. I wonder why and am sure some people like myself are wondering the same thing also. food for taught.

February 22, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  11. Chanda, West Point

I am a Hillary Supporter Yet I think that Hillary Supporters and Obama Supporters need to accept the fact that we need them both to win this election from Mccain. Face it look at CNN national votes section 44% want Hillary 43% want Obama and they support their canidate so much that they will vote for Mccain before they support the other. Either one need all democrats to win this election. We need to unite!!!!! They need to run together!!!!!!! Its what this country needs!!!!!! To me the best would be Clinton/Obama 08 and 12 then Obama 16 and 20 that way we get a democrat President for 16 years we get the best of both worlds experiance and change and a great President for 16 years. Yet I am so tired of the division of my party that I would even vote Obama/Clinton. PLEASE you to get together and unite and run together and do whats best for our country!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! VOTE FOR A TOGETHER TICKET!!!!!!!!!!

February 22, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  12. Charlotte

The first comment disappears. Don't quit. "Wow, it only took 18 times for Obama to finally not stutter and stammer. Can we afford 18 attemps to make an improvement? His positon on foriegn affairs hints at the need to eliminate the Sec. of State position. He is going to take care of meetings with heads of state on his own? This shows what a greenhorn he really is. We need someone who knows how to, as Larry the Cable Guy would say, GitRdone

February 22, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  13. An Agnostic Democrat

Here! I'll clarify them for you!

Take a looooooooooooong vacation and spare us any more plagiarized ... ahem ... xeroxed ... Hallmark moments! Remember how you got cut off the Hallmark channel when your town hall was tanking? Well, in your fake let's-bring-the-Democratic-Party-moment you were already scheming to seat the delegates in states you signed a P-L-E-D-G-E ... say it with me and knod you metronomic skull in rhythm to you words ... while trying to sell another calculated human moment.

February 22, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  14. Phil of Colorado

Where is Clinton's executive "experience"? She has never served as an executive, only as an "advisor". Her lack of real management expeirence is reflected in the short-sightedness of her campaign planning. She didn't plan past Super Tuesday.

February 22, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  15. Xavier, Washington, DC

On March 5 she will be contacting the Gambino family to threaten the families of all the superdelegates who haven't endorsed her. Do you think that Sopranos inspired commercial was just a joke? The Clintons are about to get medieval on that a...

February 22, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  16. Phyllis, Dallas TX

Hopefully not saying what she'll do after Mar 4 is a sign that she plans to concede if she doesn't do well.

I sure hope so. She needs to give it up!

February 22, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  17. Vascez (Dallas)

Humm !!!!!!!!!! Hummm!!! Hillary,

How to clarify post March 4 when she still Criying ???/.

Hillary Clinton has Xeroxed her self yesterday. !!!!!! She didin't perform well at all. When you are waiting for her to give a punch, she is just crying.

This is the kind of politics we don't want in USA. Did she need to cry every time she is loosing?

CRY CRY BABY Hillary !!!!!

February 22, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  18. Jack

If she loses Texas by a very small margin, she'll still get roughly the same number of delegates as Obama.

And if she wins Ohio by a larger margin, which is looking like it's a possibility, then she'll walk away from the night with more delegates than Obama.

She can then fight in Ohio where it is a closed primary for Democrats only (no independents or Republicans).

February 22, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  19. Jack

She can fight in Pennsylvania *** where it is a closed primary, another state where she has strong backing.

February 22, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  20. Gary

It is ironic that Hillary states that she is ready on Day 1 yet wasnt ready on Day 1 of her own nomination election. That is a pathetic performance and statement. I have never been clear what her 35 years of experience relates to either. It must be her entire resume' so thus under her logic her total adult life experience is ' experience'. I am much more interested in results and performance than years on the planet. What has she done, really ? Her health care intitiative in the 90's was a total disaster. In any event...her Alamo ( pardon the pun, as the Texas primary is next) will be March 4. If she wasnt plain ol nasty and divisive and old school and dirty, perhaps Obama would have included her on his ticket. But she demonstrates everything he and America have been saying..we need a change in the way and style of governance. Her pathetic plea for Michigan and Florida is actually very sad and a sign of pure desperation.

I actually liked Hillary Clinton...but her performance and her style displayed in this nomination process definitely opened all of our eyes.

The bottom line.....she wasnt ready on Day One...she wasnt even ready to compete in her own nomination campaign. Kind of vindicates Obamas position on a new way of governance and not one based on entitlement or establishment. Funny how these things work out :)

February 22, 2008 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  21. Marie

FOR CNN:

Where is the media story out of the Chicago newspapers regarding Rezko and Obama? If this were Hillary, it would be a panel issue for a month!

If you reported fairly, this race would be much different. Isn't it time to talk about the headline news in Chicago papers? You were certainly talking about the headlines in the New York Times, but that was McCain and only based on hearsay??

February 22, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  22. MPG

Senator Clinton – - did you spend ALL that money just to come up short in your own Xerox moment? You can't be fiscally responsible in running your campaign and I'm supposed to believe you'll be better at tackling the tough issues of this economy? You, who has told us over and over you'll be ready on day 1 to be commander in chief and then you turn around and publicly declare your brilliant strategy (timeline) during a time of war, and yet you can't say what your plans are after March 4 (because you don't have one?)..........well.....what does your "experience" tell you?

February 22, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  23. Ivan, Chicago, Illinois

Why is my comment still awaiting moderation while others that came in later are accepted?
    Is it because mine is pro Clinton and the others are pro Obama?
    Your moderator last night, she kept cutting Hillary Clinton short and Hillary had to force the issue to be able to reply to a remark made by Obama, whereas Obama was never put in that position. I expect that fron Fox, but not fron CNN.

February 22, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  24. Farsheed Azad

As an outside observer, I think the Democrats could potentially secure 16 years control of the White House with Clinton for the first 8 years and Obama for the second 8 years.

February 22, 2008 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  25. jide

Time will tell who 's better whether playing with words or martin luther king or providing solution to situations count.
    posterity will judge – pls dont let Hillary drop – she as more to offer